Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS gift certificates code as travel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

AS gift certificates code as travel?

I have the amex offer to spend $250 on AS and earn bonus MR points.

Need to make a $700 purchase for 2 tickets. I want to use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to purchase $300 in gift certs, apply that to the ticket cost, and pay the balance with my amex card to get the MR bonus.

Of course this only works if AS counts as travel ( airline carrier direct ).

What do you guys think?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I haven't done it, but I would guess it does. CSR is pretty reasonable in defining travel, and this would come from the airline direct as AS.

Keep in mind GC's purchased from AS are not usable immediately. I forget if it's 24- or 72 hours, but there's a delay in effectiveness.

Why don't you just play it safe and buy one ticket on AMEX for the promo and the other on CSR for the rebate?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i would ask this in the CSR CC forum. there is probably some first hand experience there that will be more likely to find/respond to the thread in a useful way.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
I have the amex offer to spend $250 on AS and earn bonus MR points.

Need to make a $700 purchase for 2 tickets. I want to use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to purchase $300 in gift certs, apply that to the ticket cost, and pay the balance with my amex card to get the MR bonus.

Of course this only works if AS counts as travel ( airline carrier direct ).

What do you guys think?
I think you are better off buying a ticket with your Amex that's worth $250 from Alaska that is at least 62 days out (if you are MVP Gold or higher just buy any future ticket). After you get the ticketing confirmation from AS for that ticket wait at least 24 hours and then cancel the ticket. Because you waited that long, the only option you'll have is to have that $250 ticket value deposited into your wallet (a credit) for use on future travel - you will not get a refund back to your Amex. The credit to your wallet normally posts right away. You can then book the tickets that you actually need applying the full credit and paying the difference with your CSR, which will definitely count as travel.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

the part that complicates this is that we are using a companion pass for the ticket, otherwise i would just use one card for one ticket and the other for another ticket.

That's why it has to be under a single purchase. I was also unaware that gift certificates aren't usable right away either. It's a flight out of SNA and prices always change fast there.

I suppose the safe way to play it is just using my amex card. I will no doubt use the CSR $300 over the rest of next year anyways.
channa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.