Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket cancellation for wallet credit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Ticket cancellation for wallet credit

I booked AS ticket that include virgin flights also using Wellsfargo cc points from WF site.. Its over 24 hours and I can't see cancel option for ticket on AS side and when I called AS they tell me I can cancel only from WF side and I can't cancel on AS side directly for wallet funds. Is this true or am I doing something wrong?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
You have to cancel with the original site of booking, in this case I assume Wells Fargo CC portal.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fffa4lulua
You have to cancel with the original site of booking, in this case I assume Wells Fargo CC portal.
​​​​​​I read a lot of data points about people using other credit card points to book AS ticket and get wallet funds for it on AS side with cancellation. Is that not accurate anymore?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by Stivelio
​​​​​​I read a lot of data points about people using other credit card points to book AS ticket and get wallet funds for it on AS side with cancellation. Is that not accurate anymore?
It is still accurate. I am not sure if it can be done with WF but I've done it with Chase, Amex and BoA.

Sometimes it takes like 25 or 26 hours before you can do it though.

Is there no "Cancel Reservation" link when you look at the itinerary in "My Trips" in your AS account?

Can you post a screenshot?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bta15
It is still accurate. I am not sure if it can be done with WF but I've done it with Chase, Amex and BoA.

Sometimes it takes like 25 or 26 hours before you can do it though.

Is there no "Cancel Reservation" link when you look at the itinerary in "My Trips" in your AS account?

Can you post a screenshot?
I just cancelled from the WF side and so the reservation isn't available on the AS side anymore. When I looked at it earlier today it had just the "Change Reservation" link that wasn't clickable and when I hovered over it said I cannot change it. When I tried to deposit tickets from the Wallet funds page I got the error that I cannot cancel the ticket online and I have to call AS to find out options
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by fffa4lulua
Not true using Citi Thank You, Chase UR, nor Amex MR.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:33 pm

This trick to cash out portal points generally works, but not always.

People should always use it at their own risk - I haven't yet figured out a pattern on when it works and when it doesn't so far. The best bet is to book a fully refundable ticket if you want to cash out the portal points.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii

People should always use it at their own risk - I haven't yet figured out a pattern on when it works and when it doesn't so far. The best bet is to book a fully refundable ticket if you want to cash out the portal points.
Actually, in my experience, if you have a fully refundable ticket, that's when they'll want to credit it back to the original form of purchase, and not to your wallet. That very circumstance has caused me to first change to a non-refundable ticket, then cancel and put it in my wallet.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Abusing loopholes gets them closed. This is why we can’t have nice things.
lensovet and diver858 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Abusing loopholes gets them closed. This is why we can’t have nice things.
How is this abuse when we are still going to give business to Alaska by getting a flight with them for a different date?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stivelio
How is this abuse when we are still going to give business to Alaska by getting a flight with them for a different date?
Originally Posted by nomiiiii

People should always use it at their own risk
It is what it is. You are right Alaska doesn’t necessarily lose here but it’s clearly not what most of the Banks seem to want occurring.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am new to AS. I cancelled a ticket online that I had purchased yesterday using credit from a previous cancellation
The cancellation indicated the amount would be available in My Wallet in up to 7 days
How long does it usually take? I want to use the funds quickly
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by mvoight
I am new to AS. I cancelled a ticket online that I had purchased yesterday using credit from a previous cancellation
The cancellation indicated the amount would be available in My Wallet in up to 7 days
How long does it usually take? I want to use the funds quickly
Have you been checking your Wallet? Mine usually gets credited almost immediately when I cancel. However the fact that you cancelled a ticket that had used prior credit might complicate things. Do you remember when the prior credit was supposed to expire?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Have you been checking your Wallet? Mine usually gets credited almost immediately when I cancel. However the fact that you cancelled a ticket that had used prior credit might complicate things. Do you remember when the prior credit was supposed to expire?
It was a credit I had just received, so I had plenty of time left.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Mywallet funds tend to deposit immediately for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.