Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renewing MVP GOLD or option to purchase?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I’d use your current MVPGold to do a challenge to the equivalent at UA or WN both of whom are big in your market, like now while you still have it. Your loyalty to AS is admirable but does not make sense where you live now.
OP,

Alaska does not have to service your city for Gold to be an extremely beneficial status to retain. Alaska does not service my city, and admittedly losing AA on Jan 1 is going to be a big deal but If you spend any time flying their international partners it’s no question ! I personally fly Qantas, LATAM a lot and MVPG has been invaluable.

good luck on reaching gold again. I will be hitting 75K for the first time in a couple weeks and super excited for it !

MB
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
OP,

Alaska does not have to service your city for Gold to be an extremely beneficial status to retain. Alaska does not service my city, and admittedly losing AA on Jan 1 is going to be a big deal but If you spend any time flying their international partners it’s no question ! I personally fly Qantas, LATAM a lot and MVPG has been invaluable.

good luck on reaching gold again. I will be hitting 75K for the first time in a couple weeks and super excited for it !

MB
Congratulations! I reached 75K in October this year for the first time myself. The 50K bonus was a real treat.

While the domestic, non AS codeshares will no longer count starting Jan 1st the international routes are still eligible. The OP is well positioned to connect through DFW to Australia, the Caribbean, Latin & South America & Europe. Although the loss of Elite benefits ie Free upgrade to MCE and premium cabin waitlisting is a bit of a sting. For the connecting domestic to DFW those can be credited to the AA (Absolutely Abysmal) disAAdanantage program.

James
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't think all the EQM earning on AA was going away on Jan 1st. Only on duplicate routes. If it is only AA and you can't get there or back on AS or VX you could still earn AS EQM's on AA. But there are also no more perks after Jan 1st so AA will be just another codeshare for certain routes. So if AS or VX don't service your airport but AA does there is still a chance to earn EQM's. Others please correct me if I am remembering wrong.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
I didn't think all the EQM earning on AA was going away on Jan 1st. Only on duplicate routes. If it is only AA and you can't get there or back on AS or VX you could still earn AS EQM's on AA. But there are also no more perks after Jan 1st so AA will be just another codeshare for certain routes. So if AS or VX don't service your airport but AA does there is still a chance to earn EQM's. Others please correct me if I am remembering wrong.
Effective January 1st you will not accrue AS EQM on any domestic flight whit an AA flight number. In order to qualify it must be an AS codeshare flight number booked via AS ON AS stock.

James

So what is changing?

For domestic travel: Starting Jan. 1, 2018, you’ll no longer earn Mileage Plan miles on domestic American Airlines flights that are not marketed by Alaska, which includes all flights numbers beginning with airline code “AA”. In other words, you will no longer earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles for any domestic flights booked directly with American Airlines. The good news is that Alaska and Virgin America serve 80 percent of the top routes that Mileage Plan members have historically flown and earned miles on with American. What this means for you as a Mileage Plan member depends a bit on the location of your hometown airport:
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Don't you think you will be a bit dizzy circling Texas, Washington & Illinois twice in as many days? lol. What fare class is your IAH-SEA flight? I can check Expert Flyer to check the price differential to M class if you like?

HOLD ON!!!!

I just checked your flight IAH-SEA on the 16th. The upgradable M class is $367 and U space available.

BUT BETTER YET!!!!

The discounted First Class ( Fare class P) is only $349. Purchase that and get 75% COS. 1871 * 1.75 = 3275 EQM/RDM + 1871 RDM Elite Bonus = 5146 RDM. Thats enough for a Hop award on that single segment. Furthermore you would have lounge access too. Since you are already MVPG you can change without fees. You should be able to do the changes online or the friendly AS agents can assist.

James
Yeah I would do that except I got a really good deal booking two one ways using a couple discount codes and got them for $160 round trip. So I don't think it would work doing it that way haha
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by seahawks10177
Yeah I would do that except I got a really good deal booking two one ways using a couple discount codes and got them for $160 round trip. So I don't think it would work doing it that way haha
Ah, and many discount codes (all?) exclude P class flights (discount F). Makes that more difficult to take advantage of.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Indeed it does haha. However it helps when I can do same day confirmed change so I can the cheaper fare. $105 vs $213. I had a $50 discount code and that got it down to $49 .
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by seahawks10177
Indeed it does haha. However it helps when I can do same day confirmed change so I can the cheaper fare. $105 vs $213. I had a $50 discount code and that got it down to $49 .
belated Welcome to FlyerTalk, Seahawks10177 & Go Hawks,
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.