Renewing MVP GOLD or option to purchase?

Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LHG
I have been MVPG for 3 years now I think. And I will def be short by only a small amount, so maybe should just call and ask them. Thanks
Why not just fly?

Hop somewhere to do some shopping, or just get lunch.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Sadly, am traveling like crazy between now and the end of the year, so no real time to fit in mileage runs.
LHG likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by beckoa
Why not just fly?
Always the best advice.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Looks like emails have started going out. I stole this photo from a facebook group. Cheaper to fly.

Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:43 pm
vgc

I got this email this morning, but I qualified for 75k two weeks ago. I already got the "Congrats on reaching 75k" email.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vgc
I got this email this morning, but I qualified for 75k two weeks ago. I already got the "Congrats on reaching 75k" email.
I got my congrats on reaching 75K on 11/8/17 and i did not get the offer so i'm not sure when they pulled the list.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I got my congrats on reaching 75K on 11/8/17 and i did not get the offer so i'm not sure when they pulled the list.
Not sure as have a family member quite a few miles off (as of two weeks ago) but with a BOS turn, they're nearly there. No email.

Sad to see AS pushing this again, but at least the prices are a bit more it seems.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Not sure as have a family member quite a few miles off (as of two weeks ago) but with a BOS turn, they're nearly there. No email.

Sad to see AS pushing this again, but at least the prices are a bit more it seems.
I'm ok with it since the price is high enough that it's not just giving it away.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I got the email while being 341 miles short of renewing MVPG. Mine says it's targeted -- if you don't get the email you can't use the offer. YMMV.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
So I did the math and after flying I would be around 120 miles short. Think they would make me buy at that rate or bump me up?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seahawks10177
So I did the math and after flying I would be around 120 miles short. Think they would make me buy at that rate or bump me up?
Where are you located? Remember the minimum amount you earn on a flight is 500 miles. Even the 92 miles from BLI-SEA will earn 500. If you have upcoming reservations might there be opprtunity for a quick side trip? Las Vegas for lunch? Any chance you could change a reservation to include another flight? Perhaps LAX-PDX-SEA instead of LAX-SEA The former is 954 miles while the later is 1334 EQM. I have done BLI-SEA-PDX-SEA-MSY for an extra 1000 EQM and used ONE GGU to upgrade the PDX-SEA QX E175 and SEA-MSY segments. Many options. For me Flying is a big part of my liesure travel so I don't mind odd itineraries where I can optimize my EQM & RDM and see a new city. This may sound crazy but I found some good fares and complimented it with a companion certificate and paid for immediate upgrades to fly from YLW-PSP. The routing was YLW-SEA-SAN-BOS-SEA-SFO-PSP-SFO-SEA-YLW. Had a blast and enjoyed paying $99.00 + taxes for the second ticket. This year in October we did YLW-SEA-ANC-LAX-SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR-LAX-SEA-YLW for 15.5K EQM 31K RDM and both reached MVPG75K again on a companion certificate and used one GGU each for ANC-LAX-SJO and one each for SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR. With the flights, MVPG bonus RDM and the 50K bonus for reaching MVPG75K we each earned 81K RDM in 8 days and now have a basket of GGU's for next year. 😁

James
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

I am located in Houston so that really isn't an option. I am making three mileage runs by the end of the year to get that.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:25 pm

I am located in Houston so that really isn't an option. I am making three mileage runs by the end of the year to get that.
Is your "almost" gold status short of 40K all AS Metal or short of 50K for AS and Partners? You can still earn EQM on AA for domestic travel until the end of the year. A hop to SAT or AUS or a weekend in MSY would do the job for the later scenario. I am not sure about what short haul local markets may offer the best value from Houston on AA.

For the first scenario, you could upfare one of your existing reservation segments to a fare that offers a COS (Class of Service bonus) which is elite qualifying.
Earning on Alaska Airlines
Earned flight miles and premium cabin bonuses on Alaska Airlines count towards elite status.

First Class. F or P 100% 75% COS
Main (Economy) Y or S 100% 50% COS
Main (Economy) M or B 100% 25% COS
Main (Economy) H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, or R 100%

As a last resort you could call Alaska and discuss it with them. However, if it is going to cost you for those extra miles to maintain MVPG and you are already flying, upfaring a segment might be a wash as far as costs go and you will earn additional RDM too. As MVPG an M or B fare on a short hop as BLI-SEA (92 miles) in my prior post would yield 500 + 125 COS = 625 EQM/RDM + 500 Elite RDM Bonus = 1125 RDM.

Similarly IAH-SEA 1871 miles, upfare to M or B would yield 1871 * 1.25 = 2339 EQM/RDM + Elite 1871 RDM = 4210 RDM for one segment.

If you call Alaska and ask they will be able to tell you how much the upfare would be and can process it immediately. Upfaring would also get you an immediate upgrade to F if U class is available and higher up the upgrade list if not, as it is Elite Staus first and then on a tie, fare class. No longer based on when the fare was purchased.

More thoughts for you. 😁

James
flyupfrnt likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 25, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

It will be short of 50k of AS and Partners.

I am doing this exact trip two days in a row on the 6th and 7th. (flying up on AA)

I was surprised that this trip was $112 one way considering one way just to ORD was $183.

Anyway then I have one more trip on AS on the 16th from IAH to SEA and back. FlightsFlightDepartsArrivesFlight 1 of 2 Alaska 22
Main (R) Nonstop Details
--- First Class waitlisted ---Seattle (SEA)
12:10 pm Wed, Dec 6Chicago-O'Hare (ORD)
6:17 pm Wed, Dec 6Alaska 22Distance: 1,715 mi Duration: 4hours 7minutesFlight 2 of 2 American 1430 (Alaska 4592)
Operated by American Airlines
Check in with American Airlines
Coach (R) Nonstop DetailsChicago-O'Hare (ORD)
8:30 pm Wed, Dec 6Houston, TX (IAH)
11:16 pm Wed, Dec 6American 1430Distance: 925 mi Duration: 2hours 46minutes
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:14 am

It will be short of 50k of AS and Partners.

I am doing this exact trip two days in a row on the 6th and 7th. (flying up on AA)

I was surprised that this trip was $112 one way considering one way just to ORD was $183.

Anyway then I have one more trip on AS on the 16th from IAH to SEA and back. FlightsFlightDepartsArrivesFlight 1 of 2 Alaska 22
Main (R) Nonstop Details
--- First Class waitlisted ---Seattle (SEA)
12:10 pm Wed, Dec 6Chicago-O'Hare (ORD)
6:17 pm Wed, Dec 6Alaska 22Distance: 1,715 mi Duration: 4hours 7minutesFlight 2 of 2 American 1430 (Alaska 4592)
Operated by American Airlines
Check in with American Airlines
Coach (R) Nonstop DetailsChicago-O'Hare (ORD)
8:30 pm Wed, Dec 6Houston, TX (IAH)
11:16 pm Wed, Dec 6American 1430Distance: 925 mi Duration: 2hours 46minutes
Don't you think you will be a bit dizzy circling Texas, Washington & Illinois twice in as many days? lol. What fare class is your IAH-SEA flight? I can check Expert Flyer to check the price differential to M class if you like?

HOLD ON!!!!

I just checked your flight IAH-SEA on the 16th. The upgradable M class is $367 and U space available.

BUT BETTER YET!!!!

The discounted First Class ( Fare class P) is only $349. Purchase that and get 75% COS. 1871 * 1.75 = 3275 EQM/RDM + 1871 RDM Elite Bonus = 5146 RDM. Thats enough for a Hop award on that single segment. Furthermore you would have lounge access too. Since you are already MVPG you can change without fees. You should be able to do the changes online or the friendly AS agents can assist.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.