Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First VX experience - MVP Gold 75K

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
First VX experience - MVP Gold 75K

SEA-DAL VX1766 8/28/17

This was booked about 5 weeks in advance and I went through quite a lot of work just to get a preferred seat but that can now be done online so that is water under the bridge. I called at T-24 to get MCS upgrade (it was all empty), and after 25 minutes on hold, it was granted. Agents didn't know how to waive the fee. Her tip for next time is to tell them to just waive the fee :S.

In the boarding area I noticed a lot more leisure travellers than my previous regular SEA-DFW flight. Maybe the other business travellers to Dallas haven't discovered it yet? Usually a 50 MVP upgrade list on the DFW flight.

Checking the seat map before boarding and I see one person in first class (out of 8 seats on this A319). A couple more added to MCS but not full. Main cabin has only a couple middle seats left. I didn't beg for a first class seat as I know by policy there are no comp first class upgrades. I heard someone here reported getting one but I guess that was just lucky.

Boarding was great (after a few assistance families), one in FC and two elites from VX/AS. I took my MCS seat in the dark cabin (all shades down and people rarely opened them the whole flight). After exit row briefing I was offered to take another MCS seat with an open middle which I appreciated but none worked for me so stayed put.

I checked out the menu to make my plan but could not order until the double ding at 10k feet. I found later that ordering was closed after the drink cart was out. My food came about 15 minutes after ordering but my stock alcoholic beverage didn't. I had to ask for it when the cart came by.

Gogo started off great but cut out hard 15 minutes in and took 15 minutes to get it back. Drink cart was one run. I guess if I wanted more I had to head to the back. Live TV was good but choppy at times but I am used to that with United. Lots of screaming babies and the volume was stuck low and I couldn't raise it. A neighbor had a busted plug so he moved away from his companion across the aisle to the window there.

Flight arrived early as expected due to a ridiculously long scheduled flight time. I guess VX likes lots of padding. I appreciated coming into Love Field and rewarded myself with a Whataburger!

Last edited by dmodemd; Aug 28, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I found later that ordering was closed after the drink cart was out.

[...]

Drink cart was one run. I guess if I wanted more I had to head to the back.
That's not my experience. If you want another drink (or more food), order it on RED.

My pro tip: Order from Meals first, because those items sell out first, especially the cheese plate. Then Snacks, then Drinks.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by dayone
...If you want another drink (or more food), order it on RED.
That's the allure of VX, on demand ordering, you don't have to wait for the cart you can continually order off the TV and they will bring it to you, if not during cart service, within 5 minutes. Heck, I had 7 individual orders on a DEN-SFO flight.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
That's the allure of VX, on demand ordering, you don't have to wait for the cart you can continually order off the TV and they will bring it to you, if not during cart service, within 5 minutes. Heck, I had 7 individual orders on a DEN-SFO flight.
7 orders on a 2 hour flight? really? Were you enjoying watching them run back and forth?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:57 pm
vgc

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
7 orders on a 2 hour flight? really? Were you enjoying watching them run back and forth?
Agreed, that seemed a bit excessive, unless it was for two people?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dayone
That's not my experience. If you want another drink (or more food), order it on RED.

My pro tip: Order from Meals first, because those items sell out first, especially the cheese plate. Then Snacks, then Drinks.
Originally Posted by safari ari
Whenever I clicked on the food button it would come up with a message that your flight attendant will be able to tell you what is available and that was it. They must have turned it off at some point.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Multiple VX passengers have talked about problems with the RED system not working correctly (or at all)...I assume this issue may be more common if the systems are not being maintained since AS is eventually (long term) eliminating seat-back AVOD systems like this. Sad...this is one feature that I'm looking forward to trying on my first VX flight in October although I understand the trend is toward streaming entertainment, I always preferred seat back video, especially when traveling with my kiddos.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

When I saw the flight attendants come by with the cart, I peeked at their app and saw the list of seats and the orders against them. Mine was clearly visible but it had already been delivered so I wondered if there was a way to mark it as delivered and to get alerts on new orders. It didn't seem readily apparent they would know what was new or not. Maybe they just weren't using it right (not marking as delivered).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.