Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Status Reciprocity From Other Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Status Reciprocity From Other Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Question Alaska Airlines Status Reciprocity From Other Airlines

I believe I read at some point that Alaska, (and other airlines), sometimes offer status reciprocity, i.e. if I'm a Platinum flyer on American Airlines, that they would offer me Platinum status on Alaska for the coming term in order to earn my business.

With the changes to American's program, and the increased flight schedule of the Virgin/Alaska merger, I'm very interested in doing this. Only if I can get the reciprocity however. I don't want to fly Alaska sans status for an entire year in order to qualify with them.

I called the general number and the operator told me Alaska does not do this, but that is just one lowly operator. Does anyone have experience doing this before, or have suggestions on how to get to someone who can make this happen?

Thanks, Jeff
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See WIKI below for details on status matches. Alaska does not have a "Platinum" level. AA Platinum is second tier on AA and would match to the Alaska MVP Gold status level.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...tus-match.html
jeffsafran likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AA has weird names for their status levels they do not equate the same to other carriers. I guess I could say the same for AS. For instance AA Gold is the same as bottom tier on other carriers, which for AS is the same as MVP or silver in DL/US. AA platinum is the same as AS MVPG or Gold on DL/UA.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffsafran
I believe I read at some point that Alaska, (and other airlines), sometimes offer status reciprocity, i.e. if I'm a Platinum flyer on American Airlines, that they would offer me Platinum status on Alaska for the coming term in order to earn my business.

With the changes to American's program, and the increased flight schedule of the Virgin/Alaska merger, I'm very interested in doing this. Only if I can get the reciprocity however. I don't want to fly Alaska sans status for an entire year in order to qualify with them.
Status matches are not common.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html

Rare to be offered at the equivalent level: often 1 level below
Many, like AA, have a status challenge that gets you status with reduced flights/spend over normal.
Airline ffp's tend not to status match from airlines in the same alliance or close ff partners.
But as is the way with frequent flyer programs nothing is black & white.

Oneworld https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-oneworld-tier-status
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Status matches are not common.
From AA to Alaska? Quite a few of us on this forum came over from top tier at AA to top tier at Alaska via a status match after AA went revenue based. I expect to requalify at Alaska around October for the next status year and hang around as long as their elite program doesn't change.

The one thing you have to watch out for with Alaska is "when" you status match to get the most value. Pay careful attention to the wiki covering that topic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...tus-match.html
jeffsafran likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
I beg to differ with status matches being "rare".

I know now that Alaska where I'm very loyal will do it for ANYONE one time and only one time.

Ive firsthand seen DL do it with no questions. I've seen WN do it (though why would anyone want status on WN) many times. I also have colleagues who have done it with United. Status match is part of the business.
jeffsafran likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AS gives away status matches like candy. Hope someday they move to a challenge only like the other US carriers.
jeffsafran and DaveH like this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:27 pm

I'm waiting until October 1st to status match AA EXP, as it will last the rest of the year + next year. I've already begun flying AS (even with zero status - so tired of AA that it doesn't bother me).

With EXP status, 77K AA miles and close to 15K AS miles this year, I'd be surprised from what I've heard if I didn't get 75K matched in October.
jeffsafran likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
You can also ask someone with MVPG 75 to gift you MVP status (via CC in FT), that will at least give you some benefits when travelling on AS,VX and AA (until the end of the year).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Alaska stated policy for status match is once per lifetime, so make it count. I did it after achieving AA EXP, had a fair amount of AS travel planned for the following year.

Can anyone report success obtaining a match more than once?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Jma12
You can also ask someone with MVPG 75 to gift you MVP status (via CC in FT), that will at least give you some benefits when travelling on AS,VX and AA (until the end of the year).
It is often possible to make friends with an MVPG 75k here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupon-connection-373 to obtain MVP status.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
It is often possible to make friends with an MVPG 75k here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupon-connection-373 to obtain MVP status.
Yes, friends with benefits, indeed ^
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:56 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by diver858

Can anyone report success obtaining a match more than once?
I had the same question. I assume no way, unless it's been a long time since your first match, and you can somehow sneak in under the radar.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa
I had the same question. I assume no way, unless it's been a long time since your first match, and you can somehow sneak in under the radar.
Not a matter of sneaking under the radar, but AS wanting your business enough to offer status.

In my case, the significant increase in service options out of SAN have made it relatively straightforward to earn MVP, and this year, MVPG - all on AS metal. Now if AS will only add a CUN nonstop ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.