Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Schedule Change info

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Flight Schedule Change info

After learning about a recent schedule change to upcoming flights over the holidays that are incredibly inconvenient, the reservation agent provided some interesting information to me over the phone that I'm not sure I'm buying.

In my instance, there is no A space on AS following our Int'l F award. So, we booked the AS connector separately. The new flight time (same flight number) only gave us a 55 min connection on the return (too short), so now can either overnight or go via SEA (no later directs to PDX).

The agent said that when the flight number does not change, it's because the airport has told the airline they need to reschedule their flight - that slot time is no longer available and the airline is given options to reschedule. She went on to say that when the flight number changes, "it's our fault".

Truth or bunk?

The airport in question is SJC. Not exactly slot restricted nor particularly busy, which makes me go "hmmmmm....."

Thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
After learning about a recent schedule change to upcoming flights over the holidays that are incredibly inconvenient, the reservation agent provided some interesting information to me over the phone that I'm not sure I'm buying.

In my instance, there is no A space on AS following our Int'l F award. So, we booked the AS connector separately. The new flight time (same flight number) only gave us a 55 min connection on the return (too short), so now can either overnight or go via SEA (no later directs to PDX).

The agent said that when the flight number does not change, it's because the airport has told the airline they need to reschedule their flight - that slot time is no longer available and the airline is given options to reschedule. She went on to say that when the flight number changes, "it's our fault".

Truth or bunk?

The airport in question is SJC. Not exactly slot restricted nor particularly busy, which makes me go "hmmmmm....."

Thoughts?
I am reminded of the South Park episode where they start eating from their nether regions and the poopoododokaka comes out of the mouth.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:53 pm

Truth or bunk?

Thoughts?
total bunk. Where did she even come up with that nonsense?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I agree, total bunk, but you gotta give the agent points for creativity

There seems to be a number of schedule changes last weekend so I would check my reservations, particularly the December-February window. I was a bit bummed that the PVR-PDX non-stop got moved up about 2.5 hours...it was nice not leaving til early evening since it gave me most of the day in PVR but it is what it is.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
No, this is not true. It is MUCH more complicated than this, dependent on the scheduling algorithm, etc. This is phone agent gossip (similar to galley gossip overheard on the plane).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Truth or bunk?

Thoughts?
Bovine fecal matter.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The answer can be found in the post above yours.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am reminded of the South Park episode where they start eating from their nether regions and the poopoododokaka comes out of the mouth.
This explains everything.

Which is why I almost responded with "you know, that makes complete sense - I recently heard that SJC had some serious air traffic reshuffling going on to accommodate 3 new A380 routes..."
but then realized I didn't have time for it.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
There seems to be a number of schedule changes last weekend so I would check my reservations, particularly the December-February window.
Yes. And am hopeful that they change the schedule back in the next several months to something more reasonable for getting home. Really do not want to connect via Seattle after a 13-hr int'l segment, nor do I want to overnight in SJC. Really bites.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there's apparently a fair amount of shuffling going on across the system ... the one I noticed first was SEA<-->IAD switching from 0900-1630/1730-2030 to something like 1555-2350/0900-1200 between early Nov and early Jan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.