Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 more markets in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Would be nice to see AS/OO outfit the CR7s with F....
The CR7 revival is 1) supposedly temporary and 2) to replace F-less Q400 flights. Not gonna happen.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I'm surprised that there's not a thread here related to the quarterly earnings call. In particular, Skift had an article about it and led with the angle of AS expansion:

https://skift.com/2017/07/27/alaska-...rkets-by-2018/

As someone who has one foot out the AS door due to the AA changes, this is certainly intriguing. If this expansion can get me to more places I need for business travel, I may reconsider.
So what does this really mean?

30 new markets? (meaning new cities entirely?) Say Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Providence, Charlotte, Miami ? Probably the largest markets without ANY Alaska service. (Or maybe even Toronto and some other North American markets Alaska does not serve?)

Or 30 new city pairs? Basically taking SFO/LAX and adding flights to most of the current Seattle destinations that SFO does not have (i.e. Milwaukee, Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, etc.)

How is Portland - my city - going to fair in any of this? My bet is not much, they'll want to route us through Seattle or SFO is my best guess.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
So what does this really mean?

30 new markets? (meaning new cities entirely?) Say Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Providence, Charlotte, Miami ? Probably the largest markets without ANY Alaska service. (Or maybe even Toronto and some other North American markets Alaska does not serve?)

Or 30 new city pairs? Basically taking SFO/LAX and adding flights to most of the current Seattle destinations that SFO does not have (i.e. Milwaukee, Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, etc.)

How is Portland - my city - going to fair in any of this? My bet is not much, they'll want to route us through Seattle or SFO is my best guess.
Yes, not really clear, is it? But they are using the same terminology as the 20 markets added already. Were those new cities or new routes? If all new cities then it would stand to reason the 30 is 30 new cities. If routes then could be new routes, if a mix of new cities and new routes could be a mix. Would love for PR departments to be clearer in their announcements.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:32 pm

When using the term "markets" that doesn't specifically mean new cities; it can be new cities, connecting existing dots on the map, or a combination of both.

I'd expect it's more about connecting existing dots that will be occurring in the near future.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Yes, not really clear, is it? But they are using the same terminology as the 20 markets added already. Were those new cities or new routes? If all new cities then it would stand to reason the 30 is 30 new cities. If routes then could be new routes, if a mix of new cities and new routes could be a mix. Would love for PR departments to be clearer in their announcements.
Please read the whole thread. This was already asked and explained above that markets to an airline means routes, not cities. Cities are called destinations, not markets, by airlines.

The routes can be to existing cities or to new cities, but if there's significant new cities, the airlines tends to announce "new destinations", not just "new markets".
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please read the whole thread. This was already asked and explained above that markets to an airline means routes, not cities. Cities are called destinations, not markets, by airlines.

The routes can be to existing cities or to new cities, but if there's significant new cities, the airlines tends to announce "new destinations", not just "new markets".
The whole thing is intentionally unclear. It keeps the chatter and allows something completely non-specific to fester. Horizon can't even find enough pilots to complete its schedule so its hard to really believe there is any real expansion, new markets. etc. Some of us would like Alaska to just concentrate on its pre-merger route system and stop cancelling those flights at the expense of these new flights.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:40 am

The whole thing is intentionally unclear. It keeps the chatter and allows something completely non-specific to fester. Horizon can't even find enough pilots to complete its schedule so its hard to really believe there is any real expansion, new markets. etc. Some of us would like Alaska to just concentrate on its pre-merger route system and stop cancelling those flights at the expense of these new flights.
Sucks for existing customers that they prioritize new routes over the existing schedule
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RJ pilots and mainline pilots are generally non-interchangeable. And thus Horizon and Alaska pilots are presumably non-interchangeable. And so they can't use an ample supply of Alaska pilots to fix the Horizon pilot shortage, even though they can use it to create new Alaska mainline routes, unless perhaps some of the new mainline routes they're creating replace Horizon routes. Please note: Since Alaska and Horizon are semi-separate airlines, a route that used to be Horizon and now is Alaska could be called a "new" route from the Alaska perspective.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Please note: Since Alaska and Horizon are semi-separate airlines, a route that used to be Horizon and now is Alaska could be called a "new" route from the Alaska perspective.
I highly doubt anything like doubt would be happening. QX is a separate airline under a separate operating certificate, yes, but the Horizon logo hasn't been in the big letters on the side of the planes for years. And there's no "new market!" fuss when, for example, PDX-AUS switches from OO-operated to AS mainline. Because that would be silly.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:50 pm

RJ pilots and mainline pilots are generally non-interchangeable. And thus Horizon and Alaska pilots are presumably non-interchangeable. And so they can't use an ample supply of Alaska pilots to fix the Horizon pilot shortage, even though they can use it to create new Alaska mainline routes, unless perhaps some of the new mainline routes they're creating replace Horizon routes. Please note: Since Alaska and Horizon are semi-separate airlines, a route that used to be Horizon and now is Alaska could be called a "new" route from the Alaska perspective.
It's certainly plausible that in addition to trying to grow into new routes, they could upguage some QX routes to mainline and reduce the QX load that way. They don't really appear to be doing that though.

Edit: PDX-AUS, SEA-SBA; any other routes going from QX/OO to AS? Aside from the few random Sept/Oct flights on PDX-OAK, PDX-SMF

Last edited by ucdtim17; Jul 31, 2017 at 9:00 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well excuuuuuuse me. I did read it. Let the moderators be the police. Not you.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Well excuuuuuuse me. I did read it. Let the moderators be the police. Not you.
Couldn't agree more. ^
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:53 pm

I'll bet the 30 number doesn't factor in cancelled routes like BLI-LAS and BLI-HNL....

However, with the C$ rising, I suspect they'll be back
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
What would it take to make SEA-YUL SEA-YYZ happen? I've never found a good option for this; I flew AA and it was horrible, the other options (AC and UA) are horrible and earn no AS miles. SFO-YYZ SFO-YUL on VX or AS would be fine too.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:38 am

Hi

For starters, getting their current operations in order. Also, SEA is almost maxed out now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.