Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your 2018 stategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:54 am

I have no idea and would love some input if anyone is in a similar situation.

Just moved from PDX to CLT. Was planning to keep up with AS status through AA and connecting to AS any time possible since I do love flying them.

Now... who knows. I lived in ATL for years and know the DL program well. I also know how rarely I was upgraded but I do buy first often... though it's a lot easier to do with AS instant upgrades.

AA is the obvious choice from CLT, but I really do not love AA. Like yesterday, I flew from CLT to BWI on AA and then the rest of my trip on AS. I did not mind doing this, it's a short flight, but my options are pretty limited from the east coast to fly on AS metal. I have a feeling that if I went to AA, I would see an upgrade once in a blue moon. AS has been very good to me.

Ugh.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:05 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Live in NW, and for the past decade found AS to be my first choice for value/convenience for personal.

In my new gig was already for 2017 and 2018 to leverage my AS and fly the partners and credit them all to my AS account.

HU / DL / AA for my weekly flights to the Far East. Opps DL terminated, Opps AA starting to change, sadly HU doesn't have flexible enough schedule.

Sadly moved to UA for almost all my international, and when I can add a few miles to my AS.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MissJ
I have no idea and would love some input if anyone is in a similar situation.

Just moved from PDX to CLT. Was planning to keep up with AS status through AA and connecting to AS any time possible since I do love flying them.

Now... who knows.
Same boat (see my post upthread) only moved from SEA to ORD. Don't really like AA, like AAdvantage even less, and UA is an absolute last resort.

I think my answer is: Mosaic on B6, more WN flying, AA/BA/etc. segments to Avios with no major status goal in mind, and AS becomes the odd airline out even though I love flying them too.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Going to stick with AS and partners as my primary - I'm based in SEA so for most domestic its a no-brainer, but the international landscape is getting harder with the changes to the partnerships. The depreciation on partner miles a few years ago plus the loss of DL for trans-atlantic stuff hurt. Condor is a decent alternative for earning since I fly a LOT to Frankfurt from SEA and routing thru Iceland to fly Iceland Air isn't terrible....but their hard product isn't very good

Losing AA domestically isn't a huge issue for me as most of my AA travel tends to be codeshared as AS and AS is a preferred airline in our corporate booking system. Much of my int'l travel has shifted to Asia so that makes things interesting...
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
2018 strategy: redeem.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
SEA-based. Used to be a lot of travel for work (Goverment) but not so much anymore, so largely self-funded. With RDM accrual changing, I can no longer qualify for gold, but manage to get MVP.

The AA changes may impact me some. I'm not sure how much however, until I start planning trips.

I will continue to keep AS my primary program, but will likely get the DL and AA accounts going again for those one offs (like when DL had contract to LAX). Looking to BA, DE, FI and AY for over-the-pond travel, and HU and KE for the other pond.

I also have to try out a new airline every now and then just for sh*ts and giggles. This year it was Sky in Chile, in the past its been things like Cambodia Angkor Air or Easyjet.

This approach works for me. I don't like long hauls on US flag carriers because the Y service is dreadful. Dread. Ful.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kufat
2018 strategy: redeem.
^^
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I am down to about 1500 MileagePlan points and 2600 elevate points. Have been burning them all year and have only paid for one cheap ticket from SFO to LAX.

Have switched most domestic flying to B6, tried out JetSuiteX, took a flight on WN, now have Silver status on UA through Marriott, and have benefits with DL through Starwood--though I haven't made use of it yet. Qualified for MVP so far on free segments through Elevate and could quite easily make MVP Gold but probably won't bother. Will just choose the flights that offer the best value and not worry about status as I won't likely have any status beyond 2018 with AS.

The lack of a premium product from SFO on transcons and the superior Mint product in all cabins means that I would never choose AS for a transcon from SFO.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
I'm new to Alaska(One flight about 8 years ago) but when they opened up SJC-EWR I knew it would be time to jettison United. Really started studying their routes and I think it could be the start of a great relationship.

Recent family of 5 round trip to EWR put 5000 miles into the Plan, set up a plan for all 5 tacked on the awesome 5000 mile sign up bonus. That's 10,000 miles for each after one flight. I've been fanagling the Dining program with sign up bonuses along with Shopping where I'm on pace to get each up to 12,500 miles. Also, love the Price Guarantee, so the EWR trip got $340 credit with the price drop at the time.

So now focused on Orlando next year(Virgin SFO-MCO) to hopefully get all 5 one way awards and use the $340 credit towards the other leg, and hopefully no more than like $500-$600 out of pocket for 5 tickets.

Just wish they had a SJC-LAS option instead of using Virgin out of SFO.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I live in PHX. Before the change with AA, I was going to switch to MP as my primary FF program. With AA's dollar-based system, I will not make AA Gold this year. I thought I might have a chance to make AS MVP in 2018, but not without domestic AA flights.

Now, I'm sadly just going to take the cheapest, most convenient flights (AS, WN, or AA) in that order.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I am down to about 1500 MileagePlan points and 2600 elevate points. Have been burning them all year and have only paid for one cheap ticket from SFO to LAX.

Have switched most domestic flying to B6, tried out JetSuiteX, took a flight on WN, now have Silver status on UA through Marriott, and have benefits with DL through Starwood--though I haven't made use of it yet. Qualified for MVP so far on free segments through Elevate and could quite easily make MVP Gold but probably won't bother. Will just choose the flights that offer the best value and not worry about status as I won't likely have any status beyond 2018 with AS.

The lack of a premium product from SFO on transcons and the superior Mint product in all cabins means that I would never choose AS for a transcon from SFO.
As a Bay Area flyer (MVPG since 2010), this is similar in some respects to my strategy except that I am sitting on 200K+ MileagePlan miles for int'l and Hawaii redemptions. Lost ability to credit DL OAK-LAX to MileagePlan in May so I've been flying JetSuiteX CCR-BUR. Have already earned MVP for 2018 through combination of AS and partner flights but have stalled my Mileage Plan accruals to do a Platinum challenge on AA. After I qualify as AAPlat next week, will probably loop back around to AS/VX to see if I make MVPG again. I too have increased my flying on B6, both transcon and to LGB.

Will definitely be more spread out among multiple carriers and programs in 2018, seeking schedule and value. I expect that a lot of my 2018 business travel will be on (and credited to) AA. My guess is that I eke out MVP requalification in 2018 (for 2019) but, sadly, my MVPG days are likely over.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
After jettisoning AA in '17, '18 will be all AS. All my '17 flights have been AS (12 RT SEA-east coast). I have 6 cities I have to get to and they all have n/s flights from SEA, so no need for anybody but AS going forward.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
After jettisoning AA in '17, '18 will be all AS. All my '17 flights have been AS (12 RT SEA-east coast). I have 6 cities I have to get to and they all have n/s flights from SEA, so no need for anybody but AS going forward.
You are very fortunate.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: All the Programs...
The loss of DL hurt as a SLC based flyer, and now with AA getting gutted, I suspect my dusty old AAdvantage account will get some more work, especially since I picked up the AAdvantage credit card.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
My strategery: Fly 100,000+ BIS miles in EK J as a 75k. Take all the AS Hawaii award seats, upgrades, and cheese plates.

(j/k j/k)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.