Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your 2018 stategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Alaska has played me well... less AA and more VX/AS for me.

Looks like I will continue almost exclusively SEA-DFW/DAL-SEA next year. Although the AA drop hits me hard, I have tried to avoid AA as much as possible due to lower mileage earning, less benefits, and less reliability. Hopefully AS/VX stays close in price to AA so I can justify the flights.

Thankfully, the new SEA-DAL flights help fill in time slots AS was missing so I will probably be taking those flights. I almost never clear on my own on SEA-DFW so I guess I can live without FC on the VX SEA-DAL flight I need to take. Hopefully I can get a good coach seat with my status eventually.

The AS E75 return flight may improve my FC upgrade chances but we will see what the loads turn out to be. The DAL flights will take about 10 minutes off my travel in and out but there is no lounge there for me right now.

Would be nice if GGUs could ever be used on the VX flights.

Personal flights are all on mileage flights, *A with my remaining United miles, or AS partners with Mileage Plan.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by morphogencc

I'm also a SPG / Amex Plat, so I've been considering whether I should switch to Delta (Crossover Rewards + SkyClub) or United (Silver status via Marriott match). Delta's got the better flight product, but SkyMiles are useless; I like United much less but at least I'll be earning miles that I can use.
I'd go Delta for the SPG Crossovers rewards. First, skymiles are hardly useless IMHO, but the real value is the free SPG points which have the most value of any points as I understand it (I think I got 7.9 cpp in munich for Oktoberfest last year).
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Alaska as primary (MVP Gold for 2018 at minimum, but trying to get to 75K, and will hopefully do the same in 2018 for 2019). Mostly Alaska flights domestically, some VX, and then Condor/Finnair/Iceland flights to Europe, or Cathay/Hainan/Japan/Korean to Asia.

UA for crediting random flights on Star Alliance, just to accrue miles. I have *S through some match (Marriott I think). I honestly don't mind flying UA intl C, but no other UA flights are ok, although LH/NH/SQ are great.

Considering trying to get status with JL for ~lifetime OW Sapphire, but probably not possible in 2018 while also doing Alaska MVP Gold 75k.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
For 2018, I'm sticking with AS as I've got enough booked or planned for MVPG. Going forward I'll consider DL as they've got non-stops to nearly all of my work-related destinations and AS doesn't fly to several of my typical domestic leisure destinations anyway. Will split AS/DL if it looks like I can maintain MVPG at least, otherwise it's DL as primary; MVP has no value to me.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Looks like Mint to Seattle starts February 15 from BOS and April 15, 2018, from JFK according to the new schedule released today.
$549 lie-flats on the SEA-BOS redeye are more than tempting, even with a half-decent chance of an upgrade on AS's competing flight. My chances of staying loyal to AS next year are declining still.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
SEA based flyer moving to BOS by Xmas. Gold on VX, AS, AF and TK. Will match on B6 and make DL my secondary posting to AF. From Boston all B6 or VX as a backup.

It is easier to maintain Gold on AF via DL domestically than being a pure DL flyer.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Yes, redemptions are a hassle, and yes, miles expire. Not only that, your membership in the program expires (on a separate cycle) if you don't fly on OK metal.

It's not a program to use casually but the upsides outweigh the downsides for me. I just earn and burn. That's what you really need to do with this program.

Originally Posted by puchong
When I had OK Plus in my repertoire (a few years ago), I found redemptions to be a nuisance since they had to be done by e-mail requests. Also, if I remember correctly, their miles expire within a certain time period - don't know if that is still the case. Have you come across any such problems?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Check the bag at the counter, then change the FQTN at the gate. One extra step, but almost always works.

Originally Posted by ashill
How do you plan to make that work? No free checked bag due to the credit card on AA sunless your AA frequent flyer number is in the reservation, AFAIK.

I'm moving to YYF/YLW and don't really know what my flying situation will be in the new home and new job, so no idea what my strategy will be. If I kept my current home (PHL), I'd probably split my flying between AA and AS and give up on elite status, alas. I prefer AS as a non-elite strongly enough to AA as an elite for my Pacific NW travel (about 40% of my travel by EQMs earned at the multipliers on AA for discount economy) that that makes the most sense.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Definitely a valid concern. I get to the minimum for a 1-way and burn every time. At the rate I'm accruing, I'll get at least one segment out of it before 3 years is up. And I'd get essentially nothing crediting to SkyPesos so I'm not far behind if I lose the game.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO you're splitting your miles over too many programs. It's far better for FF benefits to concentrate your earnings on one or a few programs.

SQ miles expire if not used before the deadline even if there's activity in your account, so IMO it's really unwise to credit there unless you earn and burn with high frequency. Someone else in this thread posted that the same is true for OK. OTOH at least DL miles never expire, so there's an argument to credit to DL if you don't frequently get enough miles for useful award tickets.

Again, it's better to avoid splitting between too many programs. IMO you need to decide whether the Crossover benefits plus lounge access when flying DL is better than flying UA as a Silver.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I live near West Palm Beach, so PBI is my home airport. When I fly, I mostly fly Delta. However, between ridiculous security requirements, degrading treatment by TSA, shrinking legroom on flights and constant nickle-and-diming, flying has become more and more of a burden. As a result, I only fly when I don't have a practical alternative. For example, I just drove from Florida to Virginia for a business trip to avoid flying (it also helps that I enjoy road trips a lot.)

All that said, here's my strategy when I do find it necessary to fly:

- If Delta can get me to my destination for a reasonable price, I prefer them. They tend to be either about the same as the non-budget carriers or WAY more, but I have not figured out what factors cause the "WAY more" pricing. And there are times when they are the cheapest, but that's rare.

- For personal travel where Delta is not available or their pricing is too expensive, I tend to look at price INCLUDING all the surcharges, overall duration, whether I can book the flight with FF miles or Chase UR points, and where the stopovers are. For example, I try to avoid New York stopovers as there always seems to be problems with connections in New York, and I try to avoid airports I don't like, such as CDG. Finally, no United flights. I have boycotted United since they screwed me over in 2015, and have not stepped foot on United metal since then.

- For business trips, we have to book through a system called Concur. There are some airlines I can't choose for business trips even if I wanted to, including most of the budget carriers. There are some arcane "preferred carrier" rules in Concur as well, and a violation is generated if I choose a flight that is more than $200 more expensive than the "cheapest practical fare" Concur comes up with. Usually, that is not an issue unless the cheapest possible flight is United (see above.) My boss knows this, knows why and will approve violations in that case.

Finally, I basically always fly cattle class. Work won't pay for business class, and for personal travel, I would rather spend extra money at my destination than on a more comfortable flight. I'll admit I have been tempted a few times, like when Qatar offered to upgrade me to first class DFW-DOH for $800. If they had thrown in the next segment (DOH-BKK) I might have taken them up on it, but for only one segment it was too much $ for me.

Because of my "drive-if-possible" policy, I don't fly enough to earn status with anyone, nor has that been a particular goal of mine. Sure, elite treatment would be nice, but not nice enough to be worth the amount of flights it would take to earn it. And while I'm tempted to get Delta's AmEx credit card, I'm waiting for a 75K (Gold) or 100K (Platinum) offers to come back around.

Some of you may see a contradiction in complaining about the "burden" of flying while simultaneously refusing to pay for a better experience. Fair point, but I have two reasons. First, paying doesn't get you notable better treatment through security. (I did let pragmatism win out over principles and signed up for NEXUS, just so TSA and CATSA would treat me the way they used to treat everybody.)

Second, I don't agree that getting enough room for your legs in an airplane seat, being allowed one free checked bag, or expecting to put one carryon in the overhead bin are things I should have to pay extra for. Tilting at windmills, you say? Perhaps. I know I can't change the system. But I can vote with my wallet, and I do. I would much prefer a first class seat (in fact, a pilot seat!) in my car to even a first class seat on an airplane. It may take longer, but at least to me, driving is a much more comfortable way to travel.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Steady as she goes for 18.

Self-funded leisure flyer. Mostly fly discounted J or F, domestically on AA or AS (credit to operating carrier), internationally on AA or BA (credit to AA). To the extent I'm flying around the west coast, typically on AS, domestic flights are booked separately from international segments on AA/BA. In addition to lots of flying, I use AA branded credit cards strategically, which yields $6k in EQD and 20k EQM in total from cc spend. Looking like in 17 this will yield top-tier status on both AS and AA with the only crossover being the need to credit one int'l AA r/t to AS account (which will continue to be allowed in 18).

Really, the death knell for cross-crediting between AA and AS was signaled with the changes effective this year, so my big change has already been implemented.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Free Agent
SNA/LAX based, trying to get out of the business travel game. Switched to AS last year after 7 years of mid or top status on AA or Delta.

The AA partnership change certainly hurts since my 2018 plans are to fly 5-10 times out of SNA with at least a few to Chicago. Likely going to limp over the MVP threshold and take what I can get.

That said, I tried to get out of the business travel game this year too and am a couple flights away from both MVPG and AA gold already, so I'll react to whatever life throws my way...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Already moved the majority of my flying over to DL in 2017 as evidenced by my signature, as the termination of the DL partnership made continuing to credit to AS impossible. My decision was further supported w/ the changes to the AA partnership.

I have one ticket planned on for 2018 and ironically it's on AS, but it was booked to burn off my last companion fare and 2 remaining GGUs.

I will achieve DL PM likely this year and it will be good thru 2018 so most of my flying will probably be on DL and partners. I like the combination of DL/VS/AF for my TATL flying.

However I am now at the point that whoever has a good fare is going to get some attention. Possibly taking a trip to Vermont later this fall and I might even fly UA.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TProphet
Check the bag at the counter, then change the FQTN at the gate. One extra step, but almost always works.
So, basically, you don't mind cheating the system. Hopefully, AA will crack down on this.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
No no place consistently. A little of everywhere. Self funded trips to FL, CO, UT but no place very frequently besides SEA.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Other than SEA, where do you fly from PHL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.