Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LaneW
Is there ANY way to know the chances that what I have booked - and paid for - will actually fly, or should I just give up on this airline that I used to love?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
for a second I thought I was back on the DL thread reading something from davetravels
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by selkirks
If this were the case (and there's no evidence that there is), why wouldn't AS just fold QX directly into their operations?
because they pay regional pilots much less than mainline pilots.

And their mainline pilots are now asking for a huge pay raise along with VX pilots.

If there are so many airlines looking for pilots, I don't see how this regional pilots shortage can be resolved anytime soon.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by flytoeat
From my email archive:

"2010 also saw the launch of the new MVP Gold 75K tier. For those who have reached, or will soon reach, this status — congratulations! If not, we still greatly appreciate your business and will continue to offer you all the benefits you currently enjoy."
Sorry, I obviously misspoke. I went back through my records and had flown the miles to qualify for 75K for over 10 years but I guess I was a little ahead of AS in terms of actually being a 75K member!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by IStream
Sorry, I obviously misspoke. I went back through my records and had flown the miles to qualify for 75K for over 10 years but I guess I was a little ahead of AS in terms of actually being a 75K member!
No worries, I couldn't remember either until I looked it up.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Well this cost AS their first actual business loss from me. Just booked spouse on UA to IND to avoid the PDX-SEA lottery. Normally she'd have gone AS but it's just getting too shaky - I might be willing to jump around on flights as they dump them but I didn't see the point in doing that to her.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:23 pm

I've flown a lot of AS flights out of SFO to avoid the Q400 at OAK but I'm not going to keep that up in winter with storm delays so I'll be on Southwest (thank you status match) for most of my winter flights, assuming they bring the Q400 back in January after 737s for half of December.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:06 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
I had just flown into Yakima from Anchorage for a 3 day weekend and they cancelled my return Yakima to Seattle flight...with only 3 days notice (I was already in Yakima). They automatically rebooked me following day. Opted to bum a ride to Seattle as I didn't have an extra day in my schedule to wait in Yakima... They called it a "schedule change".

Only offered to refund my unused leg to Seattle and $100 credit.

Not impressed with compensation for their last minute cancellation...still negotiating with Customer Care....
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Maybe try to get AS to rebook you onto DL, or at least GEG-SEA and status match to DL if you'd fly enough miles? And double dip the original routing credit? I know upthread others have been denied but perhaps as a 75K, you'd get better results.
What is meant by "double dipping the original routing credit"?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LaneW
What is meant by "double dipping the original routing credit"?
Since DL is no longer a partner, credit the actual flown flight to Skymiles and then send a request to AS customer care for original routing credit on the original itinerary.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DUT
I had just flown into Yakima from Anchorage for a 3 day weekend and they cancelled my return Yakima to Seattle flight...with only 3 days notice (I was already in Yakima). They automatically rebooked me following day. Opted to bum a ride to Seattle as I didn't have an extra day in my schedule to wait in Yakima... They called it a "schedule change".

Not impressed with compensation for their last minute cancellation...still negotiating with Customer Care....
Ouch.

Good luck ^ and please let us know if this goes anywhere.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DUT

This is why I am hesitant to continue booking Alaska flights. My trips are generally weekend trips, and I need to be back at work. I can't risk them cancelling my return and putting me on the flight the next day, because that means I miss work.

I can't imagine I'm the only one; I recognize some commuters on my flights, and I have to believe they need more reliability in their schedules than AS/QX currently offer.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster
This is why I am hesitant to continue booking Alaska flights. My trips are generally weekend trips, and I need to be back at work. I can't risk them cancelling my return and putting me on the flight the next day, because that means I miss work.

I can't imagine I'm the only one; I recognize some commuters on my flights, and I have to believe they need more reliability in their schedules than AS/QX currently offer.
I'm in a similar spot, with a slight advantage of having fairly flexible mondays and a ton of vacation accumulated. I can work pretty effectively from where I'm mostly "vacationing", and have some work related value in being there sometimes, so it's more annoying to have unpredictable returns than it is generally risky. I'm certainly looking at alternative flights - unfortunately most of the mainline non-stops are from LAX, which is a lot less convenient for me than BUR (or ONT).
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Just tried to book LAX-LTO return for later this month. I've been doing this flight for years and all of a sudden there's no availability. Has this route fallen victim too?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Just tried to book LAX-LTO return for later this month. I've been doing this flight for years and all of a sudden there's no availability. Has this route fallen victim too?
That flight is operated by Alaska, not Horizon? It only operates Thursday through Sunday though. Try one of those days and you'll see availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.