Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That is probably the worst example of expansion that could be cut. This is a use it or lose it slot. If they don't fly it the slot could go to another carrier. Could they delay all of the other new service--sure--but if they want to fly to MEX with decent slot times at any time in the next few years, they will have to keep flying even if they have to give all the seats away for free to fill the plane.
As I said, they made a business decision that expansion, even if it means flying money-losing routes like this, is more important than shoring up the existing schedule.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Dropped to $124 for a walk up fare today. Practically free.
I noticed some days from PDX-MEX (via LAX) are $148...the flights are timed so you could fly down and back in a day and get double RDM on LAX-MEX and my guess is the LAX-MEX flight is a relatively easy upgrade. ^
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
That is probably the worst example of expansion that could be cut. This is a use it or lose it slot. If they don't fly it the slot could go to another carrier. Could they delay all of the other new service--sure--but if they want to fly to MEX with decent slot times at any time in the next few years, they will have to keep flying even if they have to give all the seats away for free to fill the plane.
maybe they could let QX fly this route with a fuel stop each way in Yuma and then cancel it each day instead of one of the more vital services to small west coast communities.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
maybe they could let QX fly this route with a fuel stop each way in Yuma and then cancel it each day instead of one of the more vital services to small west coast communities.
Not allowed for this route anyway. They could reduce SEA/SFO or any of the new service aside from MEX/HAV. They have zero flexibility with the MEX slots so it is pointless to argue that not flying these would somehow make things better for Horizon.

Small cities have been losing air service for the last two decades and will continue to do so. AS knows this and given that there is so little competition on those routes, people either take whatever AS gives them, support a competitor, drive, or move to a bigger city. AS created the mess with Horizon and at this point passengers should be aware that flights will be cancelled/delayed. Choosing to continue to support AS knowing this is like pounding one's head against the wall and complaining about having a headache.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:16 pm

Not allowed for this route anyway. They could reduce SEA/SFO or any of the new service aside from MEX/HAV. They have zero flexibility with the MEX slots so it is pointless to argue that not flying these would somehow make things better for Horizon.
They don't have to fly this route. They're doing it by choice. There was obviously going to be a flood of capacity and cheap fares. They're betting others will drop out, the route will develop and they'll make money in a few years. That could happen, or they could just bleed for a few years and drop it in 2019.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
As I said, they made a business decision that expansion, even if it means flying money-losing routes like this, is more important than shoring up the existing schedule.
Yes. Alaska made a business decision on this whether it pencils out or not, and they probably believe, in time, it will pencil out.

Short term it puts even more strain on the existing service for existing customers. So Alaska is leveraging its relationship (rather its deteriorating relationship) with its existing customer base to absorb Virgin Air and add even more routes.

The whole route network is strained right now and it is existing customers feeling it.

It's really too bad. Alaska has had a great reputation and it's all hanging in balance....looking at those cancellations on the TV monitor...and wow.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it's a holiday weekend coming up, but are all the SEA-PDX flights during a 5-hour window on Sunday night (Sept. 3rd) really sold out already or are they just expecting a slow Sunday evening where nobody needs to fly the shuttle between 5pm and 10pm?? I know the days of shuttle flights every 30 min. are long gone, but I thought they at least tried to maintain hourly flights during peak travel times.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I know it's a holiday weekend coming up, but are all the SEA-PDX flights during a 5-hour window on Sunday night (Sept. 3rd) really sold out already or are they just expecting a slow Sunday evening where nobody needs to fly the shuttle between 5pm and 10pm?? I know the days of shuttle flights every 30 min. are long gone, but I thought they at least tried to maintain hourly flights during peak travel times.
It looks like there are only two flights scheduled in that window (Q400 and CRJ), so they are probably sold out. Sunday night of holiday weekend is slow.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It looks like there are only two flights scheduled in that window (Q400 and CRJ), so they are probably sold out. Sunday night of holiday weekend is slow.
Yeah, and seems to be pretty plentiful right now for 2 of the 3 flights between 10pm and 11:10pm, including a 739 on the last one.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This is now impacting me more and more... just had another flight switch to OO on the CRJ

And... it's not just the SEA-PDX shuttle... its on SEA-PSC. Mid October most of the flights to/from are operated by OO. I wouldn't have an issue if it was an E175
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on the 8:55pm SEA-PDX shuttle tonight and I found it interesting that they said it was an ANC-based flight crew with the exception of one being PDX-based...are they bringing reinforcements from the ANC base or is there a Q400 operating between ANC and SEA that I don't know about?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I was on the 8:55pm SEA-PDX shuttle tonight and I found it interesting that they said it was an ANC-based flight crew with the exception of one being PDX-based...are they bringing reinforcements from the ANC base or is there a Q400 operating between ANC and SEA that I don't know about?
Usually the ANC based pilots stay up north, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the lower 48 until things even out. They'll deadhead the crews down and back.

I wonder what the financial aspect of this pilot shortage is. Would love to see how much their shortsightedness is costing them.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
1) Q400's performance isn't as good in the State of Alaska
2) I think QX was aware of the issue, but there really wasn't a good solution. It seems things are underway, but demand for pilots has far outstripped demand internally.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:18 am

Hi -

I have heard enough. I am no longer booking any QX flights. I just can't afford the hassle of missing a connection.

And this from a 75K.

AS is also not doing a very good job about getting out in front of these issues with the traveling public. The silence from the corporate suite has been deafening.
JPat likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:57 pm

They've changed the October schedule Bellingham-Seattle route. Removing Horizon & replacing with SkyWest which is affecting all my flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.