Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I obviously don't understand how Premium Class upgrades work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

I'm flying SEA-SFO tomorrow. According to the website I'm waitlisted for premium class. Looking at the waitlist in the mobile app I see the following:

What's the deal with all the giant gaps between upgrades to Premium Class? I'm at 23, so why did 25, 27, and 28 upgrade ahead of me? I get that upgrades are based on purchase date, fare bucket, etc., but presumably that's how I wound up at 25 in the first place.

The entire upgrade list looks like this with gaps all over the place. What gives?

Neil
Old May 15, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm flying SEA-SFO tomorrow. According to the website I'm waitlisted for premium class. Looking at the waitlist in the mobile app I see the following:

What's the deal with all the giant gaps between upgrades to Premium Class? I'm at 23, so why did 25, 27, and 28 upgrade ahead of me? I get that upgrades are based on purchase date, fare bucket, etc., but presumably that's how I wound up at 25 in the first place.

The entire upgrade list looks like this with gaps all over the place. What gives?

Neil
Join the club...very confusing....as expected, despite the "Premium Class waitlisted" designation, I still end up in Y or clearing into F....although I have noticed that if I book far enough out before the plane gets the "Premium Class" designation, I can pre-book what may eventually become "Premium class". So far, it's easier to get into F than Y+ and to be completely honest, I'm not complaining in this case....lol.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
That's also including everyone on the waitlist for first class. For everyone on the F waitlist currently in a PC seat, it'll show them as "upgraded" to that seat on the list, even if they're a 75K and just picked it at booking time. Likewise if anyone opted out of PC upgrades but stayed on the F list, they'll cause gaps.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

So how did people after me in the list get upgraded? If they didn't make it to first and didn't want to get PC, I can see them being skipped. I'm definitely on the PC list. I count six people after me on the list who got a PC seat.

Edit: Oh wait, I think I get what you're saying. Everyone I see after me didn't actually get upgraded at T-whatever to PC, they were 75k (or MVP with the right fare class) and picked it at booking time?

Neil

Last edited by missamo80; May 16, 2017 at 7:13 am
Old May 16, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Edit: Oh wait, I think I get what you're saying. Everyone I see after me didn't actually get upgraded at T-whatever to PC, they were 75k (or MVP with the right fare class) and picked it at booking time?

Neil
Correct but if they're 75K and you're MVP,they shouldn't be behind you on the list under any circumstances with the new upgrade sorting rules. And it sounds from your post like you're in a non-instant upgrade fare bucket so those MVPs shouldn't be behind you either.

I don't know how this all works anymore, and in some way I think that is AS' intention.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
No one knows nothing about anything as far as upgrades anymore. Hopefully after all the aircraft have premium class we can actually get this figured out.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:53 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
The list includes everyone who wants either a first class upgrade, or a premium class upgrade, or both. (You can choose to opt out of either upgrade, so it's not necessarily true that a person has requested both.) This is why the list is very long.

First class upgrades are listed first, which is why premium class upgrades start with higher numbers. Your number really doesn't matter. What matters is how many people above you have not been upgraded yet.

In theory both kinds of upgrades are being processed simultaneously. Being upgraded to premium class DOES NOT affect your chances of being upgraded to first class.

Some people appear on the list even if they already have a premium class seat because they selected it in advance, probably at the time of booking, or perhaps they already paid for it. I believe this is a bug in the system that allows passengers to stay on the list even after they have a premium class seat. But remember, since this one big list is also being used for first class passengers, that's probably why they continue to appear.

Remember that because all upgrades are determined by status and fare class, those passengers who have to wait for a premium class upgrade probably also have low priority for a first class upgrade. Passengers who have already received a premium class upgrade will probably have higher priority for a first class upgrade. But it's not guaranteed and depends a lot on which fare you buy and how many seats are available on the plane.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Some people appear on the list even if they already have a premium class seat because they selected it in advance, probably at the time of booking, or perhaps they already paid for it
So essentially if I see people upgraded below me, they weren't actually upgraded at T-whatever, they either:

* Did an instant upgrade at time of booking due to combo of fare class and status
* Paid for the seat

?

Neil
Old May 16, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
As an MVP, you should be able to pick any available PC seat free of charge at T-24. My guess would be 25, 27, and 28 checked in right at T-24 and picked those seats. At T-24, it's not an automatic upgrade to PC, I believe you have to pick the seats.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

There were no available window or aisle PC seats on the flight for at least two weeks leading up to departure. I checked regularly, and checked in right at T-24. Nobody nabbed one at T-24.

At the gate the upgrade list on the monitor has all the PC upgrades bubbled to the top of the list and I am at #30 .

Neil
Old May 16, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Here is what the upgrade list looks like at the gate:​​​ https://imgur.com/a/JS3Bk

Neil
Old May 16, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AS
I can't help but think this was the intention of AS.
To make the upgrade process so confusing and non-transparent, it will discourage passengers from calling to ask for their upgrades . No one has a clear picture so, we are left at the mercy of the "amazing" upgrade processor.
We have chosen not to play this game until it is straightened out.
We fly P fares ,for the time being. (and yes, they inform me that I am on the upgrade list for PC, without box checked)
Again, AS had a plan.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
So essentially if I see people upgraded below me, they weren't actually upgraded at T-whatever, they either:

* Did an instant upgrade at time of booking due to combo of fare class and status
* Paid for the seat
If it's also pax in PC seats on the F waitlist regardless of how they got there, then also:
* booked and selected seats prior to being PC (tail swap or booked before January or whenever PC went on sale)
Old May 16, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Presumably there is further confusion injected into the process by those (like me) who booked prior to the new prioritization system going into effect. That problem will eventually run its course, however.

I don't really like conspiracy theories, but it is tempting to go along with the idea that if an airline makes its upgrade system both byzantine and opaque, there will be precious few who will be able to tell if it is functioning as intended or, worse, if exceptions are made at the whim of the airline.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Well, for those who like conspiracy theories, here's the reply I got on Twitter:

At this point there really isn't a PC upgrade list, the system figures out who is next and assigns it
Sigh.

Also the reason why the list at the gate looks different is the gate only shows FC upgrade requests, not PC upgrade requests.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.