Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've heard of this happening in other carriers lounges as well

Thanks to me (likely others too) UA put their hot chocolate behind the counter. i used to walk out with 3 on every lounge visit. Never drank them though. I had a few dozen when i cleaned out the snack cabinet last year .
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz 1CG, Caesars Diamond
Saw a mutt in the Sky Club in LaGuardia the other day. I thought Delta put a stop to that. Can we class up the joints a little bit?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Taking food and/or beverage out of the lounge is something that can be done in moderation like I've taken one or two cans of soda or water bottles and very few packs of snacks, but filling water bottles with anything other than water or taking the whole food spread with you is over the limit...
Actually wrong, all food and bev in the lounge should be consummed in the lounge, otherwise technically its theft. And what you call moderation might be diffrent from the airlines definition
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
I'm guilty of stuffing two pancakes down my gullet while running out of the lounge for my flight.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Actually wrong, all food and bev in the lounge should be consummed in the lounge, otherwise technically its theft. And what you call moderation might be diffrent from the airlines definition
If that were strictly the case, lounges wouldn't put out to-go cups, small candies by the front door, or encourage taking certain foods (such as the cookie bars in the DEN Sky Club).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Recently saw a guy in the PDX lounge picking his nose and eating it. I was so put off i went early to the plane only to be in the 1st row with the guy next to me putting his bare feet on the bulkhead and then clipping his toe nails. Travel ain't what it used to be, just ask the guy pulled off the United flight.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rustykettel
If that were strictly the case, lounges wouldn't put out to-go cups, small candies by the front door, or encourage taking certain foods (such as the cookie bars in the DEN Sky Club).
Some do, some don't. Last time I was in the Amex lounge in Seattle I overheard some other guest asking the staff for a to-go cup for coffee and they said they didn't have any. The interesting thing is that I was just about to ask the exact same question; to-go coffee is probably the main thing I would be interested in absconding with.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:12 pm

I have noticed that the Amex lounge does not have to go cups but the Alaska lounge does and on the many occasions when I have left with coffee in one, I have never been stopped as I walk by the front desk even when I have also had a muffin in hand.

What seems odd to me is that the Alaska lounge does seem to be very strict about bringing food in. I think the main advantage to a lounge is that I don't have to wait in a long line to buy over priced food, but my 19 year old daughter does not see it that way. She likes to buy a bagel sandwich at the airport and has tried on several occasions to take it with her into the Alaska lounge. She has even tried sneaking it in and they will catch her and insist that she leave with it. I told her to stop embarrassing me and eat the bagel outside the lounge which she now does. Still, neither one of us can figure out the reason for the rule. Usually when outside food is banned it is because the venue is selling food but this lounge doesn't sell any food.

Not a big deal but it does puzzle me.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Fear of smelly food? I'd hate to have the Alaska Lounge smell like a McDonalds or KFC

There are apparently also rules in some health codes disallowing food to be brought into restaurants. Too lazy to read through the WA or OR health codes.

Also this one: http://freakonomics.com/2011/11/02/c...r-dis-service/
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Keep Portland Weird is an unofficial city slogan. I think this situation falls in that category.
You're claiming some guy in a lounge at PDX is emblematic of the city?
Is that lounge reserved for locals? In fact, if you surveyed the lounge, how many of the people there would you think are from Portland? All of them? Only this guy?
I'll say anyone who deems an airport is somehow indicative of the city its in is traveling too much, yet not enough.
Ps - not from nor have ever lived in Portland. Visited though. Pretty decent city.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by wwongo
I have noticed that the Amex lounge does not have to go cups but the Alaska lounge does and on the many occasions when I have left with coffee in one, I have never been stopped as I walk by the front desk even when I have also had a muffin in hand.

What seems odd to me is that the Alaska lounge does seem to be very strict about bringing food in. I think the main advantage to a lounge is that I don't have to wait in a long line to buy over priced food, but my 19 year old daughter does not see it that way. She likes to buy a bagel sandwich at the airport and has tried on several occasions to take it with her into the Alaska lounge. She has even tried sneaking it in and they will catch her and insist that she leave with it. I told her to stop embarrassing me and eat the bagel outside the lounge which she now does. Still, neither one of us can figure out the reason for the rule. Usually when outside food is banned it is because the venue is selling food but this lounge doesn't sell any food.

Not a big deal but it does puzzle me.
I thought you were supposed to embarrass her while in public...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
I thought you were supposed to embarrass her while in public...
Oh not to worry I have done my share of embarrassing her through out her teen years.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Fear of smelly food? I'd hate to have the Alaska Lounge smell like a McDonalds or KFC

There are apparently also rules in some health codes disallowing food to be brought into restaurants. Too lazy to read through the WA or OR health codes.

Also this one: http://freakonomics.com/2011/11/02/c...r-dis-service/
I've never seen a problem with bringing food in but the spread in the lounge is sufficient on shorter visits.

The large Admirals Club at ORD has a lot of people bringing in McD and other fast foods, AA doesn't seem to ban it while all the other carriers do.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I've never seen a problem with bringing food in but the spread in the lounge is sufficient on shorter visits.

The large Admirals Club at ORD has a lot of people bringing in McD and other fast foods, AA doesn't seem to ban it while all the other carriers do.
That seems to be AA's official policy. Nothing in their rules prohibiting it. Also discussed here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-club-ok.html
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:29 pm

I hadn't thought about the smelly food angle and it does make sense. Interesting that the Admiral's club does allow it. They certainly seem to be strict about it at the Alaska lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.