Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Lounge etiquette

I had a "that's a new one to me" experience today in Portland at the Alaska Lounge.

A fellow lounge-goer got a gallon zip lock bag out of his carry-on and proceeded to empty the canister of sesame snack mix into it.

i have seen people pouring their free glasses of wine into a water bottle before to take on the plane, but a whole canister of snacks was a new one (I'm happy to say).

The staff didn't see it happen, but in the process of filling his snack bag, the guy made a huge mess, which the lounge staff came over to clean up.

A couple of minutes later, the same guy rifled through all the tortilla chips with his bare hands before taking a few. The staff did see that and replaced the container with a new one.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"Lounge etiquette" is all to often an oxymoron.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:42 pm

I would have no problem telling the staff of the extraordinary portioning.

Originally Posted by Red L
I had a "that's a new one to me" experience today in Portland at the Alaska Lounge.

A fellow lounge-goer got a gallon zip lock bag out of his carry-on and proceeded to empty the canister of sesame snack mix into it.

i have seen people pouring their free glasses of wine into a water bottle before to take on the plane, but a whole canister of snacks was a new one (I'm happy to say).

The staff didn't see it happen, but in the process of filling his snack bag, the guy made a huge mess, which the lounge staff came over to clean up.

A couple of minutes later, the same guy rifled through all the tortilla chips with his bare hands before taking a few. The staff did see that and replaced the container with a new one.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
I'd just like to say, for the record, that I would never walk out of the lounge with a bucket full of soup unless it was the chicken and dumpling.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why people use the word "etiquette" on FT when they mean "theft".

I would be thrilled if AS put up a camera and posted the best video every week on Youtube.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by Red L

Sounds entirely consistent with Portland though.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
This is LOL funny.

The snack mix isnt THAT great.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by internationalblvd
Sounds entirely consistent with Portland though.
One of the dumber things I've read on this forum.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by thegingninj
One of the dumber things I've read on this forum.
Keep Portland Weird is an unofficial city slogan. I think this situation falls in that category.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Wonder if he was an AS F class pax. This is why well-behaved Priority Pass cardholders can't get admitted to the Portland Board Room
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by dayone
"Lounge etiquette" is all to often an oxymoron.
I'll second that .
- Have had those who feel everyone in the lounge must want to hear their phone call and "important" they are.
- those who are traveling and meet business contact at lounge and try to "do a deal" while we are a captive audience to their game plan.
- those who eat 3 plates of pancakes and then proceed to sprawl back in seat , fall asleep and snore like a large bear.
- families who bring small children to lower business area of SEA Lounge. The babies are screaming and parents leave them to get food. (I suggested to MOM that upstairs would give them more room for their family , they did not know there was an upstairs)
Oh, I am sure we can all go on and on.....
Happy Travels
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
I don't understand speaker phone with headphones in for the mic. Put the headphones in all the way, turn speakerphone off and enjoy the call. Also, you don't need to yell at the phone.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
All depends on context and location. Wouldn't be unusual behavior for an Air China lounge in Beijing. On the other hand, there would be someone standing next to the snacks to make sure nobody did exactly this!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
That would be an interesting youtube video
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Taking food and/or beverage out of the lounge is something that can be done in moderation like I've taken one or two cans of soda or water bottles and very few packs of snacks, but filling water bottles with anything other than water or taking the whole food spread with you is over the limit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.