Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Plans to Keep DAL Gates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Moreover, AS has the potential of converting one or more of the DCA-DAL flights over to a beyond-perimeter authority. As that has happened once before at DCA.
When has this happened before? Those beyond-perimeter authority slots are hard to get and require Congress to initiate the action.

Not to veer too much to Southwest discussion, but Southwest would do this already with the number of slots and the struggling in-perimeter DCA markets that is has as well. It can't fly to it's western hubs DEN/PHX/LAS/SAN either from DCA, so slots are used for IND and CMH but these markets to DCA are more a loss leader. Load factors are low on those new DCA flights to IND and CMH. Southwest pretty much keeps IAD open for that DEN-IAD flight service.

I'm sure AS will try out DAL-LGA/DCA on it's own metal, for a year and evaluate it's performance. If pax choose to fly DAL-LGA/DCA and earn AA miles, it might create an uptick of pax that weren't flying VX. I don't think AS wants to downsize their NY market footprint and sell off slots, but if there was a trade for EWR gates, and if DAL-LGA was underperforming after a year on AS metal, I wonder if DAL-EWR would suffice.

Last edited by beyondhere; Apr 7, 2017 at 8:50 am
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Chugach
I think DAL for AS will ultimately be about serving west coast-based passengers whose travels are terminating in Dallas.
Ding ding ding.

Given the choice between connecting at DFW or connecting at DAL... why would you ever choose DAL? If you miss your connection, you're essentially screwed and will have to wait a long time for the next flight. DFW has many more options and is a fortress hub of an AS partner... and honestly, in my experience anyway, is a pretty decent airport to connect in. Certainly better than ATL, ORD, or LAX.

Dallas as a city has enough O&D traffic to support flights from cities like SEA, LAX, SFO, etc. It also provides value for AA's customers who might not want to trek out to DFW for flights to the PNW, they could take DAL-SEA and connect to a Horizon flight.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've said this before: Love is a fantastic airport if you're in Dallas (especially downtown Dallas).

If you're in the east side of the Dallas area, Ft. Worth, Arlington it's not as convenient. On my trips to town, I usually end up flying in to one and out of the other. It makes sense that AS would want to maintain a presence at both airports. It's a luxury only one other carrier has at the moment.

Originally Posted by Madone59
US Air used to operate DCA-SAN - there is a lot of Govn't demand for that route (which is why UA's SAN-IAD is always so packed). AA not operates the route as "direct" with a stop in PHX and the same flight number through to SAN.

I miss that route, think it would be great if AS would revive it.
That route won't come back until someone gives up a beyond the perimeter slot.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tusphotog
It makes sense that AS would want to maintain a presence at both airports. It's a luxury only one other carrier has at the moment.
And that carrier can only get you to ATL out of DAL.

I think the tell will be if AS decides to run SEA/LAX/SFO-DFW/DAL to the "big three" hubs.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
That route won't come back until someone gives up a beyond the perimeter slot.
In theory AS could switch one of their existing slots, but given that AS at SEA has more slots than SFO/LAX/PDX, and you'd be dropping a market if you did one of the non-SEA slots... I don't see it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Without giving away what I do for a living, I plugged VXs current ops into Oasis. They can scrunch in 11 more flights out of DAL.

6-630AM - 2 departures
8-830AM - 2 arrivals
9-925AM - 2 departures
10-1030AM - 2 arrivals
11-1130AM - 2 departures
1145AM - 1 arrival
1230PM - 1 departure
300PM - 1 arrival
400PM - 1 departure
600PM - 1 arrival
645-715PM - 1 departure
715-800PM - 2 arrivals
800-845PM - 2 departures

So... this is running a perfect world schedule with 45-60 minute turns and some buffer time on the gates. Apparently VX has 4 overnights in DAL each night, and could easily increase that to 6.

But, I believe AA would rather have Alaska grow at DAL and take traffic from WN and at least keep that "within the family" than another airline or Delta. I think there's some room for SEA/PDX and possibly a few of the markets I identified already. VX seems to be using DAL as a connect point anyway, with many LAX/SFO - DCA/LGA flights linked or connecting in DAL.
VX used to have some DAL-AUS flights that flopped, which might explain the slack in their current DAL schedule.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by beyondhere
When has this happened before? Those beyond-perimeter authority slots are hard to get and require Congress to initiate the action.
It was done earlier in the decade. It's how US was able to start DCA-SAN (which is now a 2nd AA DCA-LAX flight); UA was able to start DCA-SFO; and DL able to add a 2nd DCA-SLC flight (which will now be a DCA-LAX flight).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Being honest neither DAL nor LGA are of crucial strategic value to AS. VX jumped at the chance to operate at airports with restricted access without any real plan for profitability behind it. DCA at least gave them non-stop to SFO which was valuable. The rest of the DCA/LGA/DAL transaction was never of any real use to them and arguably was money tossed down the drain which could have been used on something else that would have served them better.

I could see AS changing the focus at DAL to more West Coast destinations as that is their strong suit. LGA slots just are not that valuable to their network. The number of slots is not big enough to compete with existing airlines serving LGA and their base of loyal fans in NYC flying East of the rockies is non-existent.
Exactly. There used to be 4 daily VX flights from LGA to DAL. Now they are down to 3. And looking at flights within the next 30 days, some of those flights can be booked for only $69 one-way. I'm not sure keeping an expensive station like LGA open for just 3 daily flights to one city (which isn't even a hub) is a wise decision.

In a perfect world of aircraft utilization, you can probable squeeze out 16-17 daily flights, maybe 18 max, out of DAL. I'm not sure having a few of those flights going to markets where there is an extremely low presence for bot AS and VX makes the best use of those limitations from DAL.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It was done earlier in the decade. It's how US was able to start DCA-SAN (which is now a 2nd AA DCA-LAX flight); UA was able to start DCA-SFO; and DL able to add a 2nd DCA-SLC flight (which will now be a DCA-LAX flight).
Unless you see AA/US planning to unnmerge and DL/US/AA are going to retrade their LGA/DCA slots, this will not happen again. That was a once in a very long while transaction.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you see AA/US planning to unnmerge and DL/US/AA are going to retrade their LGA/DCA slots, this will not happen again. That was a once in a very long while transaction.
It had nothing to do with airline mergers or how many slots an airline had at DCA. Airlines which held slots at DCA (for within-the-perimeter flights) were able to convert one of those slot pairs for a beyond-the-perimeter slot pair. Moreover, they were not city-specific. Which is why have seen three of them changed so far. Why would this not be able to happen again in the future?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Madone59
US Air used to operate DCA-SAN - there is a lot of Govn't demand for that route (which is why UA's SAN-IAD is always so packed). AA not operates the route as "direct" with a stop in PHX and the same flight number through to SAN.

I miss that route, think it would be great if AS would revive it.
AS applied for this city pair before...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18185618-post32.html

And was reportedly bookable for a few hours too

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18536453-post61.html
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Although I would like to see SEA-DAL, I don't see it happening.

DFW is obviously a major hub with their major partner. Anything they can add to feed DFW can pay off well. Almost every SEA-DFW flight I am on is a sold out 737-900, even during the "off-season". If they can add another flight to that market, it would be more valuable to DFW. I see most of the people on that flight going beyond DFW or on the way back beyond SEA and probably many codeshared from AA.

As was mentioned earlier, DAL is great for Dallas only terminators and only to Dallas or east of Dallas. Southwest does already have 1/day SEA-DAL so they would already be competing against that.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Although I would like to see SEA-DAL, I don't see it happening.
Why? AS flies from SEA to both IAD and DCA, as well as EWR and JFK. The second stations in those two pairs each having great connection feed on AA while the first ones each do not. Moreover, there is the opportunity for DAL O&D traffic to fly DAL-SEA-XXX (as well as DAL-PDX-XXX).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It had nothing to do with airline mergers or how many slots an airline had at DCA. Airlines which held slots at DCA (for within-the-perimeter flights) were able to convert one of those slot pairs for a beyond-the-perimeter slot pair. Moreover, they were not city-specific. Which is why have seen three of them changed so far. Why would this not be able to happen again in the future?
The original grants were advocated by McCain to get America West access to DCA. The 8 additional ones in 2012 came right after the US Airways/Delta slot swap happened to increase competition at DCA. Smaller carriers were given new slots in exchange for carriers like AA to use an existing slot for beyond perimeter service.

There are some beyond perimeter slots which can be moved from one city to the another as AA did in moving the SAN slot to LAX but that does not add a slot.

This set of circumstances is not likely to happen again. There are no small carriers on the West Coast with big Congressional backing to push for more slots, the mergers consolidated the number of carriers as a whole, and DL/AA are not likely to swap slots or give them up without a fight. Thus, the confluence of events which occurred in 2012 is unlikely to come up again any time soon.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The original grants were advocated by McCain to get America West access to DCA. The 8 additional ones in 2012 came right after the US Airways/Delta slot swap happened to increase competition at DCA. Smaller carriers were given new slots in exchange for carriers like AA to use an existing slot for beyond perimeter service.

There are some beyond perimeter slots which can be moved from one city to the another as AA did in moving the SAN slot to LAX but that does not add a slot.

This set of circumstances is not likely to happen again. There are no small carriers on the West Coast with big Congressional backing to push for more slots, the mergers consolidated the number of carriers as a whole, and DL/AA are not likely to swap slots or give them up without a fight. Thus, the confluence of events which occurred in 2012 is unlikely to come up again any time soon.
This is pretty much how I understand this.

Also, if LGA-DAL is a bust for VX/AS, and LGA is one of the larger markets from DAL... that's a good case for shutting down DAL entirely, not just for dumping LGA slots. I mean, if you're bleeding red ink on a top 10 market, you'd have to think that pretty much means you're not getting any traction against WN out of DAL a couple years in.

(I see plenty of LAX/SFO/LAS-DAL $79 o/w flights on VX within 30 days too, so it's not just LGA that isn't going gangbusters, if we're using that as our standard.)

And yet AS seems quite happy to keep DAL in the system, instead of just shutting it down and sending everyone back to DFW and dumping the LGA/DCA slots however they can.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Also, if LGA-DAL is a bust for VX/AS, and LGA is one of the larger markets from DAL... that's a good case for shutting down DAL entirely, not just for dumping LGA slots. I mean, if you're bleeding red ink on a top 10 market, you'd have to think that pretty much means you're not getting any traction against WN out of DAL a couple years in.

And yet AS seems quite happy to keep DAL in the system, instead of just shutting it down and sending everyone back to DFW and dumping the LGA/DCA slots however they can.
VX's use of DAL is why they haven't made much traction against WN at DAL. They don't offer much choice for the passengers. DCA and LGA are both end stations with no possible connections. And there isn't that much on the LAX and SFO ends either. Moreover, VX has the smallest market share at LGA. Less than even WestJet, Frontier, and Spirit. And much less than Southwest's. AS's market strength is in the west coast. Even VX's market presence on the east coast is weak. So by shifting the focus of their flights from DAL to where their market strength is, that is how they can better compete with WN at DAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.