Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Visa card $75 discount code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

Does anyone have a non targeted link for this offer? Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I am unaware of this offer. Please elaborate
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:45 am
Community Director Emerita

I think you'll find what you need in the wiki on this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...s-now-30k.html
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jediwho
Does anyone have a non targeted link for this offer? Thanks!
What exactly are you referring to?

If you're referring to a signup offer, the wiki of the thread linked above has $100 credit offers, not $75 discount codes. The annual fee is what's $75.

If you're referring to a $75 discount code for an Alaska Airlines flight, is it for existing card members, or new card members or what? Where did you hear of it? (No one else seems to have heard of it.)

If you're referring to a waiver / credit for the annual fee, that would yet another thread:
As you can see, we're wildly guessing because we don't know what exactly you're referring to.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I am unaware of this offer. Please elaborate
Today I finally* found something about it on the Doctor of Credit website:
plus a post in another thread about the timing of getting this discount:
* Doctor of Credit posted it April 3, before this thread here was started, but I only check DoC's website about once a week, so I didn't see it until today.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Today I finally* found something about it on the Doctor of Credit website:
plus a post in another thread about the timing of getting this discount:
* Doctor of Credit posted it April 3, before this thread here was started, but I only check DoC's website about once a week, so I didn't see it until today.
Nice job of detective work. I was completely off the mark in what I thought the OP was asking.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
You also get this if you don't qualify for the Visa Signature card (and lose out on the 30k bonus). My bf found this out the hard way.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:08 pm

my gf got this offer ( had the card 11 months, renewal coming up ). We'll definitely take advantage of it. However, I noticed the language on her offer was just a little different.

It specifically references $250 in retail purchases ( retail is bolded in the letter ). I assume online retail should quality so amazon shouldn't be too difficult, but there is no definition of retail in the t&c's. Perhaps they just mean all spend that's not an airline ticket?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
my gf got this offer ( had the card 11 months, renewal coming up ). We'll definitely take advantage of it. However, I noticed the language on her offer was just a little different.

It specifically references $250 in retail purchases ( retail is bolded in the letter ). I assume online retail should quality so amazon shouldn't be too difficult, but there is no definition of retail in the t&c's. Perhaps they just mean all spend that's not an airline ticket?
I got the same card. (On my card "retail" is not bold by itself, it's the whole sentence that's bold.)

Anyway, I did two things:

1. I googled the "retail purchases" and (aside from totally irrelevant stuff) mostly got sites which talked about retail purchases as being the opposite of cash advances. Ie, things that code as a "purchase" rather than as a "cash advance".

2. I called up BofA and asked them what "retail" means in the case, and they said "all purchases". (Immediately, and then they repeated as soon as I asked in another way, as if they've been getting this question left and right.)

So it's just confusing phrasing. They should have just said "purchases", and then clarified in the T&Cs that anything that counts as a cash advance (or a bank fee or an interest rate) wouldn't qualify. It is, of course, a standard thing (at all banks that give any kind of bonuses on "purchases") that "purchases" don't count anything that codes as a cash advance (or bank fee or interest rate), but various banks (not just BofA) seem to have a challenge in explaining that correctly. (Other banks write stuff like "cash-equivalent instruments" which makes people wonder if MC/Visa gfit cards don't count, and again in those cases it's poor wording that just means that things that code as a cash advance rather than a purchase don't count. And then banks don't always spell out explicitly that bank fees don't count, which leads to endless questions on FT as to whether annual fees on your statement count toward "minimum spend"!)

So Alaska Airlines purchases will count, paying for services (as opposed to merchandise) will count, paying your utility bills will count, etc, etc.

But in case this promo is timed so that your annual fee hits in the middle of it, that won't count, since it's not a purchase.

Btw, I got this card this week (mid-April) and my annual fee doesn't hit until July. But the promo says I'll get the $75 credit within 12 weeks after the promo ends on June 30, so it does seem timed such that I may have to pay the AF before the $75 credit actually gets issued. (Which may be the point, that it's not so much a "discount" as a "rebate" of the AF, which of course is also $75.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 15, 2017 at 10:11 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:29 am

Thanks SD. That helps a lot. i see it as a rebate also, but useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.