Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO T1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: I have resided many places, but only ever lived in San Francisco.
Programs: UA, AA
SFO T1

Now that SFO is officially an Alaska hub, and with T1's reimagining coming along, why is it AS's plan to consolidate in T2 ultimately? It seems to me that building out a club in the new T1 is the superior option-- more room to grow, better options to input hub needs in the terminal (CS desk among them), and above all-- easy connections to partners in INTL A. Having to AirTrain and reclear security will be a burden on AS international pax in T2 forever, and it seems like the right time to move will be here when T1 reopens. Does anyone know why the plans to stay in T2 seem to be a foregone conclusion?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) When T1 is done, you should be able to walk airside between Int'l A and T2.
(2) T1 completion is years away.
(3) T2 as AS-only will be a lovely place.

I doubt AS wants to wait until 2024 to be "settled in place" at SFO.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Will (3) happen before (2), i.e., will AA move before T1 renovation is completed?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
American Airlines is a major partner and is located in T2. At least for now.

Delta Air Lines is terminating its partnership, and is located in T1. And the renovations are a ways off.

If I were an Alaska Airlines customer trying to make a connection, I'd like to be in T2, where I've already got VX flights and AA flights.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
There is no way I would make a connection at SFO between VX/AA and AS....way too much hassle....the last time I tried it, despite my best efforts, the AS flight left without me....they really couldn't be more inconveniently located than they are now at SFO.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
"Connecting" between AS and VX at SFO will go away soon enough. It will all be AS.

Connecting to AA at SFO makes exactly zero sense compared to literally any AA hub*. The only places you can connect to that AS doesn't serve themselves are... CLT/MIA. A connection at LAX/PHX/ORD/DFW/JFK/PHL gives you those places AND the rest of the AA route network.

So AS should probably take the best deal they can that allows them to consolidate and expand at SFO. They don't really need to account for AA connections.

(*Ok, maybe SEA-SFO-JFK if you want three class, I guess. Though blowing a couple of hours to connect instead of taking the AA or AS nonstop... how many people do that?)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 12, 2017 at 8:36 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
(1) When T1 is done, you should be able to walk airside between Int'l A and T2.

T-2 is one of the nicest terminals in NA. Quiet, good food, shops and rarely feels crowded. I've gone from the garage to stand on the plane in less than 15 minutes without rushing on more than a few occasions..

The circular layout makes a connection a slow 5 minute walk maximum.

AD flyers should really be pleased they are inheriting this from VX.

When I was in the Bay Area, the T-2+VX experience was so pleasant, I would routinely fly > 75% of my flights from there, even though OAK and SJC were nearer.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ptownca
T-2 is one of the nicest terminals in NA. Quiet, good food, shops and rarely feels crowded. I've gone from the garage to stand on the plane in less than 15 minutes without rushing on more than a few occasions..

As flyers should really be pleased they are inheriting this from VX.
I am thrilled. I lived with Gates 20 through 24 from 1985 until a couple years ago. I lived with the old Bored Room for most of that time. T2 is one of the few terminals anywhere that you just don't quite miss a lounge like you would in most other places.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I am thrilled. I lived with Gates 20 through 24 from 1985 until a couple years ago. I lived with the old Bored Room for most of that time. T2 is one of the few terminals anywhere that you just don't quite miss a lounge like you would in most other places.
Exactly, I actually signed up for the AA Exec CC which has AC access and found I rarely used it.. Maybe 5 times in a year.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

Totally agree. Just used it today and went to Lark Creek - great food and not even overpriced.

One thing - seemed TSA pre-check was a bit crowded, slow, disorganized. Did I just get a bad day or? Even over at busy UA I've never had to wait that long. Was actually contemplating Clear since I plan on a lot more T2 flying.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by ptownca

AD flyers should really be pleased they are inheriting this from VX.

When I was in the Bay Area, the T-2+VX experience was so pleasant, I would routinely fly > 75% of my flights from there, even though OAK and SJC were nearer.
Absolutely spot on. The only things that would make T2 better is:

1. if the BART station was moved there (so i don't need to walk/take airtrain)
2. if Amex moves/opens a Centurion lounge
3. if that $#@% hamburger place didn't charge so much
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SF1K
One thing - seemed TSA pre-check was a bit crowded, slow, disorganized. Did I just get a bad day or? Even over at busy UA I've never had to wait that long. Was actually contemplating Clear since I plan on a lot more T2 flying.
I've mostly heard good things about T2 security, but my one experience going through it must have been ten or fifteen minutes in the Precheck line. The scanner operator was taking his sweet time with every single bag.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by drewsq
Now that SFO is officially an Alaska hub, and with T1's reimagining coming along, why is it AS's plan to consolidate in T2 ultimately?
2 main reasons:

1. The remaining T1 no longer has space for AS.

2. Without VX, AS's presence at SFO is relative small. Since VX invested a lot in T2 and is still usable, it will be a waste to abandon T2.

It seems to me that building out a club in the new T1 is the superior option-- more room to grow, better options to input hub needs in the terminal (CS desk among them), and above all-- easy connections to partners in INTL A.
Even available, SFO will not give the new T1 to AS unless AS can also resolve T2 as well (Note - AA is not large enough to have the entire T2 by itself).

Having to AirTrain and reclear security will be a burden on AS international pax in T2 forever, and it seems like the right time to move will be here when T1 reopens.
Allow me to be blunt - SFO does not care when AS's international traffic to SFO is minimal. On the other hand, it may be easier for AS to forego the international routes and allow other airlines to replace.

Does anyone know why the plans to stay in T2 seem to be a foregone conclusion?
SFO actually opposed the AS-VX merger, as it worried the merger impact AS/VX investment at SFO.

Originally Posted by SF1K
I believe it has to do with AA and VX.

Originally Posted by maradori

1. if the BART station was moved there (so i don't need to walk/take airtrain)
2. if Amex moves/opens a Centurion lounge
All are impossible.

1. BART has no plan extending within SFO. Beside, it may be difficult as BART will never be able to get the voter approval (the initial SFO extension was funded by sale tax).

2. Unless undergo significant remodeling, there is no space at T2.

3. Food is expensive at SFO as SFO is subject to a higher wage standard.

Last edited by garykung; Apr 13, 2017 at 2:23 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
+1 even as a DL flyer when I have enough time I wander thru the airside connector over to T2 to eat even if just for the sake of variety.

Originally Posted by maradori

[...]
+1 to this too

Originally Posted by jinglish
I've mostly heard good things about T2 security, but my one experience going through it must have been ten or fifteen minutes in the Precheck line. The scanner operator was taking his sweet time with every single bag.
Or if the line is shorter, go through security at T1 and use the aforementioned airside connector @:-)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Zorak
+1 even as a DL flyer when I have enough time I wander thru the airside connector over to T2 to eat even if just for the sake of variety.

+1 to this too

Or if the line is shorter, go through security at T1 and use the aforementioned airside connector @:-)

Thank you. I didn't realize there was an airside connector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.