Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A possible mini hub in east coast (JFK)?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kop84
They're better off striving to be the number 1 option in the West and a limited option in the East, as opposed to being the number 2/3 option on the WC and the 4/5th option on the EC which really at this point is all they can be.
We are in violent agreement, really. There's not really a good option for AS on the East Coast for expansion at this point. If in a decade they really do rival the "Big Four" at LAX plus UA/WN in the Bay Area/SAN... THEN maybe think about "where next?", but VX has been working at it for a decade and there's a lot more to do...
Old May 8, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
We are in violent agreement, really. There's not really a good option for AS on the East Coast for expansion at this point. If in a decade they really do rival the "Big Four" at LAX plus UA/WN in the Bay Area/SAN... THEN maybe think about "where next?", but VX has been working at it for a decade and there's a lot more to do...
Are we in disagreement? I don't think it's a good idea for AS to try for anything East of DEN for the considerable future.

Work on keeping their share in the PNW
Expand their footprint in the bay area, whether SFO/SJC/OAK or some combo
Rationalize at LAX, to get the onward traffic from their many Asian Partners
Maybe attempt to "claim" one of the other LA area airports, ONT, SNA, BUR, LGB, although each of those airports presents their own unique challenges.
Keep expanding in SAN

There is years of work on the West Coast that AS should be devoting their full attention to before tilting at windmills on the East Coast.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are we in disagreement?
No, I said we are in violent agreement.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:33 pm

Are we in disagreement? I don't think it's a good idea for AS to try for anything East of DEN for the considerable future.

Work on keeping their share in the PNW
Expand their footprint in the bay area, whether SFO/SJC/OAK or some combo
Rationalize at LAX, to get the onward traffic from their many Asian Partners
Maybe attempt to "claim" one of the other LA area airports, ONT, SNA, BUR, LGB, although each of those airports presents their own unique challenges.
Keep expanding in SAN

There is years of work on the West Coast that AS should be devoting their full attention to before tilting at windmills on the East Coast.
I think AS is focusing, just as you say they should, on their west coast operation. The goal is to become the west coast airline of choice. They'll do that by offering more options from west coast airports to important markets across the country and a limited network of nearby international destinations.

With regard to "claiming" one of the other LA area airports, it seems there is a focus on operating service from SNA to more airports. Obviously, it's a slot controlled airport, so their options are limited. Beyond that, I don't see AS expanding much more from the other LA area airports. BUR and ONT serve a pretty specific market and aren't necessarily "reliever airports" for the LA area. AS has come and gone from LGB too many times over the years to really do anything more than maybe a few flights a day to SFO and maybe SEA and/or PDX.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No, I said we are in violent agreement.
Sorry, misread...but yes...not even the big 4 can cover the entire country effectively.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
If Blue came to Alaska Camp....

I know, there has been some tension between B6 and AS, but is the wound still too fresh to consider possibly exploring B6 partnership?

Jiburi
Old May 8, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
I know, there has been some tension between B6 and AS, but is the wound still too fresh to consider possibly exploring B6 partnership?
Considering that B6's major expansion is on transcon routes that AS wants traction on, and any AS adds in NYC are directly competitive with B6... what exactly is in it for either of them? It's pretty obvious what FTers want (MOAR MINT ) but there's not a lot of logic to being partners with someone who wants your business. It would be like DL and AS hooking back up again.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by jiburi
I think jetBlue would be much better off acquiring Frontier than merging with AS in the future. They pick up a hub operation in DEN, same fleet type, and would cost them a lot less money. Alaska will never be the largest airline on the west coast; Southwest will continue to hold that title. At best, Alaska can compete with United for the 2nd place spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.