Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A possible mini hub in east coast (JFK)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by John Wang
BTW: Alaska just made an announcement today that they are building a lounge in JFK. It is a good step to make more visibilities is east coast. An east coast hub is not far away.
While, as already brought up, they're absorbing VX and trying to make themselves the main player in California? No way in hell.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What you are requesting is out of the bound of a reasonable customer requirement. What I am proposing is not. That is a big difference.
BTW: Alaska just made an announcement today that they are building a lounge in JFK. It is a good step to make more visibilities is east coast. An east coast hub is not far away.
Maybe they can build a hub in LIT to compete with the pending AA hub there.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:34 pm

I don't think there will be a "hub" in the traditional sense of the word, but I think JFK stands to gain quite a bit more traffic on AS as they fold the VX operation into it and expand their reach to the west coast. They are building a lounge and I think you'll see more announcements concerning JFK as the months go by. Some of them may involve flying that doesn't stretch all the way to the west coast.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kop84
I think this issue was talked about at great length in another thread about AS establishing an EC or Midwest hub, and the consensus was it was not doable unless AS was willing to bleed cash for a considerable amount of time.

Establishing anything else at JFK is nearly impossible as slots are hard to come by and those with slots aren't giving them up anytime soon, at least in sufficient numbers to make it work.

BOS is a bloodbath already with B6 and DL & AA vying for number 2
PHL is AA
EWR is UA
LGA no slots and perimiter
DCA see above
IAD is UA
BWI is WN
CLT is AA
ATL is DL
CHI is a bloodbath

Basically any city that has enough OD to make a hub work is already taken. They could try RDU but I think that would cause an even further build up by DL there. And DL could spool up RDU faster than AS could too.

They could try to go into a former hub like PIT, MEM, CLE but they were all de-hubbed for a reason

Couple that with little name recognition East of DEN and that's a recipe to lose a ton of money.

Now if they want to see if we can get a AS/VX/B6 mega merger and for AlaskaBlueVirgin then you've got an airline capable of competing with the big 4.
There's always BNA or DAL. DAL was supposed to be a "focus city" for VX with a whopping two gates.

But, seriously, there is no way on earth that AS will have a hub in a city that doesn't touch the Pacific Ocean or major river that flows into the Pacific anytime soon.

That's why they have their AA partnership and DL partnership (for another month and a week).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA1K
as others have said, no way they do a hub at JFK. AS has said they want to be the main player on the west coast. don't expect an east coast hub anytime soon.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I would be more impressed if they worked on building a club or figuring out where to partner at IAD. The Virgin and Alaska gates are near each other and other than enjoying a smash burger and a fro yo before the flight, there is pretty much nothing much happening and there are a ton of club options in the international terminal.

Since only AS lounge members can enter the guest lounges, there can't be that many people coming in daily- not like the overrun mess that is now the D lounge in Seattle.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I just fly my out bound on AS and return on a different airline (usually United).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:26 am

Not just for me. I choose DL's 12noon FLL-SEA over AS's early morning or late afternoon flights because of its convenient schedule. Many family with small kids prefer it too. It is a valid feedback from customers. AS did not do it before before it couldn't. Now it has ability to make it possible, of course I would suggest it.
it has to do with aircraft and crew rotation.
You can't just leave an airplane parked for a good chunk of the day because the schedule might be better. The DL departure is likely on an aircraft that did a shorthaul into FLL in the morning, and as AS have no shorthauls into FLL, they can't afford to waste the aircraft for 3-4hrs of prime flying time.

AS38 SEA 0835-1718 FLL
AS921 FLL 0710-1100 SEA

The next day departure is likely so they can use the same crew and not have to have a crew waiting in FLL already having spent 24 hrs there.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Prediction:
AS will beef up LAX and SFO in 2019.
JFK will see more service to more cities in 2021.
IAD will see more service to more cities in 2025.
PIT will be a focus city in 2029 and later a hub.

By 2030, AS will have a lot of service in ANC, SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, SAN, PIT, JFK, IAD, and some service in DAL. DAL will be gate limited so it won't be a hub. It could be AA's proxy.

FT usually frowns on reviving old threads but I would be happy if some did so for this thread in the year 2026.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Not just for me. I choose DL's 12noon FLL-SEA over AS's early morning or late afternoon flights because of its convenient schedule. Many family with small kids prefer it too. It is a valid feedback from customers. AS did not do it before before it couldn't. Now it has ability to make it possible, of course I would suggest it.
This is useful to know. Another reason to skip DL's FLL flight (isn't seasonal or less than daily?)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Gold
VX triangles their SFO redeye into FLL seasonally to JFK through late April. I think 5 days a week the redeye runs; 2 days it's RON in FLL.

DL has a lot more planes to play with down here and AS/VX combined doesn't come close. They have their own terminal with 9 gates so scheduling isn't a problem like AS who needs to get their plane back west asap. The DL FLL-SEA flight is seasonal and the 2nd AS flight was added shortly after DL announced it.

Last edited by pdubak; Mar 27, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by lalala
I would be more impressed if they worked on building a club or figuring out where to partner at IAD. The Virgin and Alaska gates are near each other and other than enjoying a smash burger and a fro yo before the flight, there is pretty much nothing much happening and there are a ton of club options in the international terminal.

Since only AS lounge members can enter the guest lounges, there can't be that many people coming in daily- not like the overrun mess that is now the D lounge in Seattle.
with only 3 cities served between AS and VX and five daily flights, zero chance they build a club in IAD. UA dominates IAD and AS/VX have some high value slots at DCA.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by 98103
This is useful to know. Another reason to skip DL's FLL flight (isn't seasonal or less than daily?)
i think the DL FLL flight is Saturday only most weeks. I'm booked for this flight in a few weeks; I'll let you know if it seems especially packed with families.

i do agree with OP that the timing is better than either AS flight but I understand why that is the case.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
VX doesn't fully utilize their DAL gates because it is unprofitable for them. WN lowers their fares to a point they cannot compete and has the local brand recognition. They only keep it a "focus city" so they can utilize their LGA/DCA slots. With AA having DFW down the road, I am not even sure AS will keep DAL as a focus city or keep its gates their. I could easily see UA/DL/B6 buying a gate at DAL.

The problem with AS building a focus city on the east coast is that they have no brand recognition. I helped a friend book a EWR-SEA, PDX-EWR itinerary for this summer and he had no idea AS existed (most also don't know about VX). This holds true for many people east of the Rockies. The best thing for AS to do would be to increase frequencies to east coast markets and then see where their brand sticks the best. SEA-NYC should go from 4x to 5x daily, SEA-MIA should get 2x daily, SEA-PHL should get a second flight, 2-3 Ohio cities should see flights, etc. And that is just from SEA... AS should really focus on improving their transcon/midcon frequencies and number of destinations before adding a focus city somewhere.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by DA201
The best thing for AS to do would be to increase frequencies to east coast markets and then see where their brand sticks the best. SEA-NYC should go from 4x to 5x daily, SEA-MIA should get 2x daily, SEA-PHL should get a second flight, 2-3 Ohio cities should see flights, etc. And that is just from SEA... AS should really focus on improving their transcon/midcon frequencies and number of destinations before adding a focus city somewhere.
Agreed. AS is spending way too much time and aircraft on one a day flights (Havana, really??), and when irrops happen they take a long time and a lot of money to recover from. They need to build up what they have and get their name out there, especially East of the Rockies. New cities are great to say you have, but don't really set any image in the market that way. Name recognition should be number 1 and that is built on frequency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.