Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Status Miles Get Calculated?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska (MVP Gold), HHonors (Diamond)
How to Status Miles Get Calculated?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm wondering how miles towards status are getting calculated? I can see the little graph in my account, but I can't figure out how the number got calculated. I'm still new to MilagePlan, so I'm trying to figure all this stuff out.

I like to keep track of my flights and make sure everything gets posted and noticed I couldn't seem to match the status qualification numbers.

Here's what Alaska shows as my current status qualification:

The segments match my activity, but I can't seem to get to the 10,177 miles number. Even if I use 500 miles for any trip less than 500, it still doesn't equal 10,177.

Here's my activity:
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

One of the commuter flights was likely (or credited as) a B or M fare.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Smile

Like Dayone said, all flights over 500 miles at actual mileage, all flights under 500 miles at 500 miles, and a 25% class of service bonus on one 500 mile segment flown or credited as fare class M or B.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Would it be too much to ask that they just show their math (how many qualifying miles each flight earned)?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Would it be too much to ask that they just show their math (how many qualifying miles each flight earned)?
That takes the fun out of it
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Originally Posted by beckoa
That takes the fun out of it
LOL. I have been thinking the same thing for years. For a company which such great customer service and transparency their account activity page is lacking for sure.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Madone59
LOL. I have been thinking the same thing for years. For a company which such great customer service and transparency their account activity page is lacking for sure.
It's why I keep a spreadsheet. As long as my EQM total matches theirs, I'm happy.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Finkface
It's why I keep a spreadsheet. As long as my EQM total matches theirs, I'm happy.

This - keeping a speadsheet or log - is definitely the answer, and it is what I have been doing for years.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Originally Posted by Finkface
Do you ever find any discrepancies that you've had corrected? Do you call if you get over credited too? What is your net gain / loss?

I don't keep track as I figure it'll all come out in the wash at the end. That and it sounds like too much like homework. I don't have the time or to enter it, look up the fare class, or understand the formulas for bonuses etc. Ignorance is bliss.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've flown a couple of million miles and earned several millions more and I've never needed with a spreadsheet. I keep my boarding passes and toss them when flights post. Most years there are no discrepancies.

I know lots of people who use and love a miles spreadsheet. More power to 'em.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tbau
Do you ever find any discrepancies that you've had corrected? Do you call if you get over credited too? What is your net gain / loss?

I don't keep track as I figure it'll all come out in the wash at the end. That and it sounds like too much like homework. I don't have the time or to enter it, look up the fare class, or understand the formulas for bonuses etc. Ignorance is bliss.
Some airlines have a Sudoku in their inflight magazine, Alaska flyers solve the "how on earth did they calculate this EQM balance" puzzle.

Can't say that I have discovered any discrepancies, but it would save me some time planning and verifying if AS showed the relevant information.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Riddle me this please:

Qantas flight next year ADL-MEL is 399 miles in distance. Earning rate is 25%. Minimum mile per segment is 500 miles. I am a 75K with 125% bonus.

How many RDMs do I get?
How many EQMs do I get?

Confused as I have never flown at 25% earning rate for a flight less than 500 miles before.

Do I get 25% of the minimum 500 miles which is 125 miles EQM plus 75K bonus of 125% = 282 RDM? or
Do I get Minimum 500 miles EQM plus 75K bonus of 125% = 1125 RDM?

Last edited by davistev; Nov 23, 2019 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by davistev
Riddle me this please:

Qantas flight next year ADL-MEL is 399 miles in distance. Earning rate is 25%. Minimum mile per segment is 500 miles. I am a 75K with 125% bonus.

How many RDMs do I get?
How many EQMs do I get?

Confused as I have never flown at 25% earning rate for a flight less than 500 miles before.

Do I get 25% of the minimum 500 miles which is 125 miles EQM plus 75K bonus of 125% = 282 RDM? or
Do I get Minimum 500 miles EQM plus 75K bonus of 125% = 1125 RDM?
Should be 500 EQM & 1125 RDM
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVP
One small difference I've noticed when I was tabulating EQMs in my spreadsheet, is that the # of miles listed under "Flight details" in the mobile app for a reservation/flight is different from the number of EQMs/base RDM actually used in the calculation. Some examples (matching upcoming fights in the app against previous earning details in my account summary):

SFO - BOS:
Flight details distance: 2697
Earned EQM: 2704

SJC - JFK:
Flight details distance: 2561
Earned EQM: 2569

SFO - JFK:
Flight details distance: 2579
Earned EQM: 2586

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.