Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience With Hainan Airlines (HU)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
Was considering trying their business class on my next trip, but noticed long layovers in, say, PEK. Read that while they provide a hotel room, you have to have a roommate?
If you’re in J you get your own hotel room. I might add you get free car service to and from the airport to your hotel if traveling in J also. Depending on where you are, the drivers don’t always speak English. If you need to communicate something with the driver, make sure you get your notes in Mandarin ready since google translate doesn’t always work in the mainland. Also I learned the hard way that names like “Sheraton” and “Holiday Inn” are not that in Mandarin.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Also I learned the hard way that names like “Sheraton” and “Holiday Inn” are not that in Mandarin.
喜来登 is a phonetic translation of Sheraton, and 假日酒店 is a literal translation of Holiday Inn. I'm not sure how you could improve on either.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by moondog
喜来登 is a phonetic translation of Sheraton, and 假日酒店 is a literal translation of Holiday Inn. I'm not sure how you could improve on either.
When you say “Sheraton” or “Holiday Inn” to a non-English speaking taxi driver they do not understand and I don’t speak Mandarin so I’m just giving you my experience
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you say “Sheraton” or “Holiday Inn” to a non-English speaking taxi driver they do not understand and I don’t speak Mandarin so I’m just giving you my experience
When I say "Chongqing" to a native mandarin speaking coworker whose husband is from Chongqing, she doesn't understand. I'm pretty sure that the problem is on my end.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When you say 假日酒店 to a taxi driver in NYC, how many of them understand it?
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

If you’re in J you get your own hotel room. I might add you get free car service to and from the airport to your hotel if traveling in J also. Depending on where you are, the drivers don’t always speak English. If you need to communicate something with the driver, make sure you get your notes in Mandarin ready since google translate doesn’t always work in the mainland. Also I learned the hard way that names like “Sheraton” and “Holiday Inn” are not that in Mandarin.
Space is gone now, but perhaps I should have booked HU in J after all... sounds like this could have been a unique experience. Just not certain it applies to award tickets.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Space is gone now, but perhaps I should have booked HU in J after all... sounds like this could have been a unique experience. Just not certain it applies to award tickets.
Seems like a terrible redemption to me.

You would pay 100k miles + $600 (round trip) when you can just buy a round trip ticket for $2100, and earn about 20-40k miles on that trip? That's about 1c per mile.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Seems like a terrible redemption to me.

You would pay 100k miles + $600 (round trip) when you can just buy a round trip ticket for $2100, and earn about 20-40k miles on that trip? That's about 1c per mile.
RT from ANC?

And to SIN/BKK?

I know I can scab things together to drop the price, but ANC rarely sees deals in J TPAC, especially to destinations I want to visit.

I do appreciate the feedback however. Suggestions are useful to evaluate.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
RT from ANC?

And to SIN/BKK?

I know I can scab things together to drop the price, but ANC rarely sees deals in J TPAC, especially to destinations I want to visit.

I do appreciate the feedback however. Suggestions are useful to evaluate.
Oh yeah that's a lot more. I thought you wanted to visit China. I'm actually surprised it's not cheaper to get to BKK. Must be a supply/demand thing.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:51 am

Just know in J award you don’t get car service to from the airport. I’m not sure about hotel on a long layover.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:03 pm

Just FYIs and first impressions...

"Seat selection is locked for airport control and you must select seat at airport" - getting this for TPACs in both directions booked as an Alaska J award 3 weeks and 6 weeks in advance. On the other hand, if I go through the screens to make a revenue booking, one is able to select both TPAC seat at time of booking, and EF is showing some people are doing so. This is a notable disadvantage for AS redemptions in the rare occasion the cabin is full and you get stuck in a less desirable seat (e.g. honeymoon seat as a single). This would be a bigger annoyance if it was their 2-2-2 cabin as I much prefer window seats.

Seats on regional flights are selectable by phone. One of my regional flights was downgraded from a 787 to a 737 3 weeks in advance: no notification, and the system didn't reassign me a seat, I only found out because I am paranoid with award bookings and check with partner carriers directly to confirm booking status.

Not an amazing experience dealing with their phone staff (China-based English line) - curt, frequently interrupt, and a noticeable language barrier - but at least someone immediately picks up. I could never get through to any of their North American numbers. I'm hoping ground staff are better, but based on reviews, it seems Hainan only excels in the air.

Picked up free unlimited Priority Pass via Amex since I have many layovers, and in full knowledge Chinese domestic lounges typically suck equal or worse to US lounges; hopefully the added variety of PP lounges and Hainan contract lounges will let me find somewhere passable. I think the free hotels in transit are much needed considering there don't seem to be (clean) showers in any available lounges. The guy on the phone insinuated I could have a choice of which hotel when I get to transit desk... we shall see how that works in practice when I try to ask for a Western brand-name hotel (SPG, Marriott, Hilton, etc). Of course beggars can't be choosers.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Just FYIs and first impressions...

"Seat selection is locked for airport control and you must select seat at airport" - getting this for TPACs in both directions booked as an Alaska J award 3 weeks and 6 weeks in advance. On the other hand, if I go through the screens to make a revenue booking, one is able to select both TPAC seat at time of booking, and EF is showing some people are doing so. This is a notable disadvantage for AS redemptions in the rare occasion the cabin is full and you get stuck in a less desirable seat (e.g. honeymoon seat as a single). This would be a bigger annoyance if it was their 2-2-2 cabin as I much prefer window seats.

Seats on regional flights are selectable by phone. One of my regional flights was downgraded from a 787 to a 737 3 weeks in advance: no notification, and the system didn't reassign me a seat, I only found out because I am paranoid with award bookings and check with partner carriers directly to confirm booking status.

Not an amazing experience dealing with their phone staff (China-based English line) - curt, frequently interrupt, and a noticeable language barrier - but at least someone immediately picks up. I could never get through to any of their North American numbers. I'm hoping ground staff are better, but based on reviews, it seems Hainan only excels in the air.

Picked up free unlimited Priority Pass via Amex since I have many layovers, and in full knowledge Chinese domestic lounges typically suck equal or worse to US lounges; hopefully the added variety of PP lounges and Hainan contract lounges will let me find somewhere passable. I think the free hotels in transit are much needed considering there don't seem to be (clean) showers in any available lounges. The guy on the phone insinuated I could have a choice of which hotel when I get to transit desk... we shall see how that works in practice when I try to ask for a Western brand-name hotel (SPG, Marriott, Hilton, etc). Of course beggars can't be choosers.
The seat issue is not unique to Alaska redemptions. EF shows all the seats are blocked out because that’s what HU does until the day of departure. All seats are blocked usually up to row 15 (they start at 11 on transpacifics and skip 13). I’ve boughten about half a dozen J tickets through HU, and they block out the first two or three rows for airport control. Perfectly normal, and nobody is assigned those seats until the day of departure, so you’re getting the same treatment as a revenue pax would get. Most of the time I’ll get up to the ticket counter and if the cabin is empty ask them to give me a bulkhead with nobody sitting next to me. And since they don’t do op-ups, and they know how many passeners there are, they can usually guarantee you your own row if the cabin is empty. They did this for everyone on my YYC-PEK flights last year when the cabin was half full. Just ask at check-in. Since the airport agents know the seats are blocked out, the agents are use to getting requests for bulkhead or not having someone sit next to you, and they’re happy to help you out. By the way if you’re assigned to row 15, I would get out of there as soon as you get to the airport. It’s close to the restroom, and many passengers will use row 15 (last row in the first J cabin) as a way to walk through to the other aisle. That’s usually why I ask for a bulkhead in the corner. Although they’ll use it to get to the other side only if the J cabin is crowded(relatives on the other side, stuff like that). Another thing, get a seat in the first J cabin. I was in the last row of the second J cabin once, and there was a screaming baby directly behind me and there is not very good separation of cabins. I could not sleep at all. It’s also generally just noisier in the 2nd J mini cabin directly in front of economy.

Do keep in mind if you’re like me, and you need air vents, the A330 have them everywhere, but the 788’s do not have air vents in the center seats. I don’t know about the 789 as I’ve never been on them but I would suspect also only on the side seats.

Also their North American call centers can sometimes be a challenge, but usually whatever you need help with gets done. If you don’t want to use the phone you can use the US email support and that is routed to their help center in the Philippines I think (although that isn’t always that much better).
Nazdoom likes this.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Dec 8, 2018 at 6:47 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:46 am

I booked an award flight on HU yesterday in J from SJC-PEK and it looks like it ticketed successfully. I took the provided HU PNR to Hainan's website to check the itinerary and to try to select seats but it keeps throwing an error of being unable to find the trip (I also tried with the ticket number). Anybody know if this is common and if it's possible to select seats in advance? I read some of the comments above and it looks like they only block some of the seats? Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
use ticket # usual works for me. the PNR of their own int'l site and PNR in China and PNR on Amadeus are different.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ericw
use ticket # usual works for me. the PNR of their own int'l site and PNR in China and PNR on Amadeus are different.
With the AS ticket number? The message HU gives is that you cannot access AS tickets on the site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.