Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience With Hainan Airlines (HU)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Well it’s very annoying because I have an I class fare in January.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eethan
I spent 5 hours in Hainan's own PEK lounge since I didn't want to chance a 2.5h connection (PEK delays seem to be the worst in the world). The website made the lounge seem like one of the best in the world, but it's more like a Cathay business lounge. I had been really excited to try out the "traditional tea art display," but the attendant apologetically told me they cannot do it - perhaps it really is just display. Also, lunch is only from 11 - 1, so you better hustle or make do with lackluster beef noodle soup.
Good to know about hours for food, i visited the T2 lounge showing the MVPG card on a coach ticket, I wish i had more time in the lounge. I scarfed down some food and drink since I only had 20 min since I was running late. I was in the lounge just before 1 and it was a decent spread plus made to order menu.

Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:14 pm
Suspended

What is the lunch menu like from 11 to 1?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Good Experience at First

I had purchased a cheap $500 roundtrip ticket to China on HNA. The Shanghai Lounge didn’t have access for MVP Gold members (which was a 17 hour layover), but my return flight Beijing had an 8 hour layover and they did have access to their brand new lounge for MVP Gold (this was in early November. It may have helped that I was wearing a suit and that I presented them with both my MVP Gold card and my Alaska Lounge card I believe to get access as well, because they seemed slightly confused at first, but I was let in anyways). The food was great, the drinks were great, and the service attention was even better. They asked if I could write them a review for some reason regarding my reaction to the new lounge, so I wrote the letter attached.

I will say that my flight with them there was great, but after I left the lounge on my return flight, not so much. I didn’t realize they require you to have your phones turned off and not in airplane mode. They asked me the first time to turn it off, so I placed it in airplane mode. I have a timer for taking some prescription medications at specific times (3 different times on the flight), and after the first time the flight attendant took my phone from me which was extremely irritating (I was planning on writing a complaint, but after looking online it says it’s illegal to have a phone in airplane mode and you can be fined or improsoned, so I decided not to do anything, and they handed me my phone back when we arrived). But it was also very irritating that they would not allow me to have the window closed upon arriving either. Outside of the last flight, I thought the meal service and everything else was amazing with Hainan, especially the cheap round trip ticket, too bad it only qualified for 25% miles though.

tl;dr: No access to Shanghai Longe, but wearing a suit got me into an amazing and new lounge in Beijing. Return flight had disappointing/irritating policies for phones in airplane mode and closing the window blind. Overall 7 out of 10 experience (would have been 10 out of 10 if not for the return flight).

- Ben
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bderemer
I had purchased a cheap $500 roundtrip ticket to China on HNA. The Shanghai Lounge didn’t have access for MVP Gold members (which was a 17 hour layover), but my return flight Beijing had an 8 hour layover and they did have access to their brand new lounge for MVP Gold (this was in early November. It may have helped that I was wearing a suit and that I presented them with both my MVP Gold card and my Alaska Lounge card I believe to get access as well, because they seemed slightly confused at first, but I was let in anyways). The food was great, the drinks were great, and the service attention was even better. They asked if I could write them a review for some reason regarding my reaction to the new lounge, so I wrote the letter attached.

I will say that my flight with them there was great, but after I left the lounge on my return flight, not so much. I didn’t realize they require you to have your phones turned off and not in airplane mode. They asked me the first time to turn it off, so I placed it in airplane mode. I have a timer for taking some prescription medications at specific times (3 different times on the flight), and after the first time the flight attendant took my phone from me which was extremely irritating (I was planning on writing a complaint, but after looking online it says it’s illegal to have a phone in airplane mode and you can be fined or improsoned, so I decided not to do anything, and they handed me my phone back when we arrived). But it was also very irritating that they would not allow me to have the window closed upon arriving either. Outside of the last flight, I thought the meal service and everything else was amazing with Hainan, especially the cheap round trip ticket, too bad it only qualified for 25% miles though.

tl;dr: No access to Shanghai Longe, but wearing a suit got me into an amazing and new lounge in Beijing. Return flight had disappointing/irritating policies for phones in airplane mode and closing the window blind. Overall 7 out of 10 experience (would have been 10 out of 10 if not for the return flight).

- Ben
I had no problem w/ MVPG card to get in the PEK lounge. Seemed like they were familiar now, agent was writing my details on a lounge access card at the lounges front desk before letting me inside. Only limited lounges are allowed. Looking at the HU site, I don't see any mention of Shanghai lounge

List of eligible lounges on the AS site:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits
  • Fortune Wings Lounge in Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) Terminal 1
  • Fortune Wings Lounge in Xi'an Xianyang International Airport (XIY) Terminal 1
  • Fortune Wings Lounge in Haikou Meilan International Airport (HAK) Terminal 1
  • HNA Club in Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) Terminal 2
  • HNA Club in Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN) Area B
  • HNA Club in Ürümqi Diwopu International Airport (URC) Terminal 2
I got away with using my phone quite a bit to take photos (though had to hide it not to be seen), though one flight, i got a warning and then so did the guy sitting in the middle later on in the flight. Good news is I heard Hainan is in the cerification process to be able to allow cell phones due to the change in Chinese rules. Though it might be late 2019 when all carriers will be able to allow them.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:13 pm

There is a contract lounge that Hainan uses in Shanghai, but it's pretty skeletal as lounges go. No coffee machine, steam tray noodles as the only hot food, a ghastly red wine and a slightly-less-ghastly white wine, and not much else. At least it's quiet, but honestly, it's down-market from US domestic lounges.

What's funny about the no phone rule is that you're fine to use tablets or e-readers (till the 10,000 foot mark, at least).
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:39 am
Suspended

My flight leaves Beijing at 4:30 PM back to the states. Is there some special lunch service at the PEK lounge that I should be aware of to arrive early for?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Beware of some of Hainan Airlines older A330-200 aircraft on some long haul routes. Many do not have backseat IFE systems installed. In-flight wifi is used to stream movies but you are not allowed to use your phone to watch movies. So unless you are carrying a tablet, it makes for a long boring flight. I recently experienced this on a 9 hour Melbourne - Xian flight. I just stared at back of headrest for 9 hours. Hardly what I call a 5 star airline experience.

Secondly, on some routes that require a stop of over ??? hours, overnight accommodation is provided. I was transferred to Xian hotel only to be told that I had to share a room with another passenger. I took the alternative of paying for my "own" room. As usual, the hotel room was smoke infested.

But hey - I got 113% miles.

Last edited by davistev; May 27, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davistev
Beware of some of Hainan Airlines older A300-200 aircraft on some long haul routes. Many do not have backseat IFE systems installed. In-flight wifi is used to stream movies but you are not allowed to use your phone to watch movies. So unless you are carrying a tablet, it makes for a long boring flight. I recently experienced this on a 9 hour Melbourne - Xian flight. I just stared at back of headrest for 9 hours. Hardly what I can a 5 star airline experience.
Yikes! This sounds dreadful. Unfortunately my YYC-PEK-YYC is on an A330-200. How many of these particular planes don’t have in-Flight Entertainment?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I have not encountered the dreaded A330-200 with no IFE versions on North American flights. I am unable to work out which aircraft have IFE and which ones do not. In the Australian-China market, it is a hit-miss situation. I should stand corrected in that on board tablets are provided upon request if they have some.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flitcraft
There is a contract lounge that Hainan uses in Shanghai
Thata woudl be why no lounge access was provided under MVPG, One would need to have Priority pass to have a lounge at PVG. Luckily out of BOS PEK is daily and PVG is only 2x weekly.

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
My flight leaves Beijing at 4:30 PM back to the states. Is there some special lunch service at the PEK lounge that I should be aware of to arrive early for?
I don't know of the hours but I'm thinking you might have inline photos turned off. If flying business, its not such a big deal as it was for me since I was connecting to a Y flight

When I arrived just before 1pm. There was a bunch of self serve stuff out, rice, dumplings meat, soups, desserts, ice cream etc. Drinks were mostly the same as what is available inflight and made to order menu below:

LUNCH OR DINNER

Grilled Beef Tenderloin
with arugula and black pepper sauce

Fried Pork Dumplings

NOODLE

Hot Noodles with Chili Oil Sauce

Noodle Soup with Soya Braised Beef Brisket

Noodle Soup with Fresh Pork Wonton

CHEF RECOMMENDED

Pear Soup in Beijing Style Custard Tart
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any lounge for departing pax at Chongqing? That airport is pretty bad when it comes to nice lounges in my experience.
Which lounge do they use at JFK? Bummer about no longer providing limo service to pax not on full-fare tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.hainanairlines.com/HUPor...E=US&PAGE=AISR

JFK J lounge is: Swiss Business Class Lounge
No HU or Partner lounge listed for Chongqing
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
If we travel on AS award in J and connecting to a domestic flight the day after arriving on the international long haul, all on the same ticket and being a forced overnight connection, do we get free transit hotel?
Old May 24, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Any lounge for departing pax at Chongqing? That airport is pretty bad when it comes to nice lounges in my experience.
Which lounge do they use at JFK? Bummer about no longer providing limo service to pax not on full-fare tickets.
Yes, there is a shared lounge in Terminal 3 at Chongqing that Hainan passengers may use. It actually is quite nice, I thought.

It is down by the H gates. This terminal is huge and mostly deserted.

Shared with several other airlines.

There are several seating areas. This isn't the main food area.

Made-to-order noodles are available; the kitchen closes at 8 p.m. though.

There was a decent selection of food and drink.

Excellent massage chairs; the front-desk host activated one for me as wasn't using my phone in China.

One shower was available. I didn't look inside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.