Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska's new award charts for VX flights

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 6:21 pm

When booking summer transcons a couple months ago, I was surprised how plentiful 25k VX F awards were. We'd have preferred the AS EWR-PDX nonstop on our return but weren't going to pay 60k for that when VX awards through SFO were 25k. Looking forward to trying out their F product before it disappears.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
VX F is generally easy to score at 25k. At that rate I've been able to book LAX-IAD, ORD-LAX and LAX-BOS.

I would have a hard time spending 60k miles on any VX route.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Not sure when you are flying, but F appears to be widely available on SFO-DCA at 25k each way.
Maybe I blew it. Out Mar. 15, return 17 -- a conference I will attend. I just checked a moment ago and it's still 60K x 2 for VX in F.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dhuey
Maybe I blew it. Out Mar. 15, return 17 -- a conference I will attend. I just checked a moment ago and it's still 60K x 2 for VX in F.
For what it's worth, consider traveling one day earlier. March 14, 2018 currently shows VX SFO-DCA award space in F for 25K.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I just got a roundtrip in F on Virgin America, SFO-DCA, using 120,000 Alaska miles. Award availability was very good.

That's a lot of miles, but this route 1) is very long, 2) is so nice in VX F (while it lasts) and 3) is not very competitive -- this itinerary would have cost about $3,700.* There are only two SFO-DCA nonstops each day, one on VX and the other on UA. DCA is vastly better than IAD if the District is your destination.

* I have no status on VX, so the $399 upgrade option six hours before departure is unlikely to be an option for me (elites get first dibs 24 hours prior).
That's nuts. Isn't saver on the route 25k each way? I've spent less to fly business class to Asia.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
That's nuts. Isn't saver on the route 25k each way? I've spent less to fly business class to Asia.
Yes, but saver isn't an option on my specific dates. I want to be on the Mar. 15 outbound flight, and the Mar. 17 return. If I want to be in F (and I do), my choices are 120,000 miles, or $3,700. I think I'd be willing to pay $2,400 for this itinerary, so I'm cashing in my Alaska miles for 2 cents per. A fair deal.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:07 pm

Last edited by flytoeat; May 29, 2017 at 9:11 pm Reason: Misunderstood 2x25K meant roundtrip, not for one way for two people
Old May 29, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I believe we're trying to help you, not lambast you.

60K miles for a one way in domestic F, is quite frankly, hard for most of us long term AS flyers to bite. 65K is what I spent on AA Flagship FIRST for INTERNATIONAL... 60K to me is 4 domestic one-ways.

I've also cashed in miles for VX F for only 25k.

So we're just being a bit, frugal, and also trying to be educational. VX F is not really worth 60K for most of us. Even my last trip in VX - F has me no longer wanting to waste *any* miles on VX anymore (it was a sad state for a transcon...). Alaska even refunded a huge chunk of my miles due to what happened on the plane (or lack, thereof).

So my recommendation is to wait for the award space to open up at 25k - because it *will*. almost every VX flight I've been watching, the 25k mile will open up for at least 1 seat, and there's no rhym or reason for it. I've seen cabins booked to only 1 with NO discount F seats open, and I've booked on flights booked to 6, with discount seats open. (shrugs).

Now you said MARCH - as in 2018?
Old May 29, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I believe we're trying to help you, not lambast you.
I don't doubt that for a moment. I have never felt lambasted here. I am grateful for your input on this, and the input of others. If it turns out I could have gotten a better deal for this Alaska award roundtrip in F on VX, please explain it, my FlyerTalker friends -- especially for the benefit of others here.

I didn't feel like I got some fantastic deal with my 120,000-mile roundtrip for my SFO-DCA itinerary on VX in F. It seemed like a fair deal to me, especially considering how those Alaska miles sat in my account for about a decade.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I don't doubt that for a moment. I have never felt lambasted here. I am grateful for your input on this, and the input of others. If it turns out I could have gotten a better deal for this Alaska award roundtrip in F on VX, please explain it, my FlyerTalker friends -- especially for the benefit of others here.

I didn't feel like I got some fantastic deal with my 120,000-mile roundtrip for my SFO-DCA itinerary on VX in F. It seemed like a fair deal to me, especially considering how those Alaska miles sat in my account for about a decade.
Just keep an eye out and see if saver space opens up. It might.

120,000 miles gets you an $8k+ business class ticket on Cathay Pacific to Asia. 140,000 miles gets you a $16k first class ticket to Hong Kong. It's not a relatively good value for the miles at all, and the service/seat isn't that special.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
It's not a relatively good value for the miles at all, and the service/seat isn't that special.
For me, it was cashing in my Alaska miles for about 2 cents per. I agree that this is no special deal, but it made sense in my particular situation.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:51 am

For me, it was cashing in my Alaska miles for about 2 cents per. I agree that this is no special deal, but it made sense in my particular situation.
If it works for you, it works for you.

I spent 40k miles to fly SEA-YYJ once because I was in an uber to the airport and needed a flight right then. I couldn't afford the $600 Alaska was charging for two last minute coach seats, so the 40k miles was a price I was willing to spend. Normally I'd think it absurd to spend so many miles for such a low airfare, but it worked for me at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.