Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Why is there no hard liquor in the PDX boardroom? Is it the same in SEA?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bta15
Why is there no hard liquor in the PDX boardroom? Is it the same in SEA?
OLCC regulations/BR doesn't have a license for the hard stuff. SEA and other BR locations do have liquor.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I think I know the answer to this, but just want to confirm: If I buy an itin and choose non-Premium seats, can I go in later and purchase them after the ticket has been issued?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Do we have any idea when Alaska Air will adjust fares for routes like ANC-SEA to match Delta and Jet Blue's summer rates? I finally got MVP for the first time last year so I'd like to stick with Alaska but if they are going to charge almost twice I'd have to go with Jet Blue.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Is there any work around to use a My Wallet cert on VX metal?
I read you can book a similar flight AS and then change the flight within 24 hours, in this case the VX fare is less than AS, so would I get refunded in cash or as another certificate?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cragAK
Do we have any idea when Alaska Air will adjust fares for routes like ANC-SEA to match Delta and Jet Blue's summer rates?
When (if) revenue management sees yields going down and feels they need to change pricing.

From the few routes I fly enough to see fares regularly along with plugging in destinations for mileage run fun trips, my feeling is that Alaska's pricing has been up over the last year. I wish it was the other way.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Is anyone having issues with Alaska reward searches.

Example:

Search for LHR-PDX and don't see any results in C.
Search for LHR-SLC and get a result in C.
Search SLC-PDX and get a result in C.

No issues with connection times or terminals. Seeing the same things on DL rewards and BA ones.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I believe it's P.

You may be able to change it online too. If so you can do it without fee within 24 hours of booking, up to 60 days prior to departure, or if you're MVP Gold or higher. Change fee is waived for upfares to First but the website is a little dumb and will apply a change fee (if applicable) as if it was a flight change or similar.

I've done it through the website and it's worked and I've also had the website balk at a upfare to a MVP instant upgrade fare class so YMMV.
Worked beautifully on the website, and yes, P fare.

That allows entrance into the AS Boardroom, no?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Worked beautifully on the website, and yes, P fare.

That allows entrance into the AS Boardroom, no?
P does. Its just U that doesn't.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by rustykettel
When (if) revenue management sees yields going down and feels they need to change pricing.

From the few routes I fly enough to see fares regularly along with plugging in destinations for mileage run fun trips, my feeling is that Alaska's pricing has been up over the last year. I wish it was the other way.
Well that is disappointing. I guess I'll book now though since my tracking on the matrix shows the price only climbing from here.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
After adding my MVP Gold # to my Delta reservation for later today I checked in online and it said I have Gold Medallion status and also said my first checked bag is free (I took a pic). I realize I'm not entitled to the free bag, but when I go to JFK will I be able to print the bag tag without any assistance?

This is for a flight to the Caribbean. Oh and I'm #1 on the upgrade list with 10 empty business class seats remaining - wish me luck &#1 28519;
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
After adding my MVP Gold # to my Delta reservation for later today I checked in online and it said I have Gold Medallion status and also said my first checked bag is free (I took a pic). I realize I'm not entitled to the free bag, but when I go to JFK will I be able to print the bag tag without any assistance?

This is for a flight to the Caribbean. Oh and I'm #1 on the upgrade list with 10 empty business class seats remaining - wish me luck &#1 28519;
I dont know if DL has self-print bag tags at JFK. If they do, the status shown on your reservation shouldn't impact one way or another if it works.

Indeed DL reservations w/ MVPG/75K FF# attached to them do show gold medallion/ST Elite +, but the benefits don't convey for the most part. One loophole I have seen them convey on is SDC, but this isn't a stated benefit and it's possible I have just gotten lucky a few times.

Good luck on the upgrade, I'd say your chances are good if they don't sell them all for $129.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Is anyone having issues with Alaska reward searches.

Example:

Search for LHR-PDX and don't see any results in C.
Search for LHR-SLC and get a result in C.
Search SLC-PDX and get a result in C.

No issues with connection times or terminals. Seeing the same things on DL rewards and BA ones.
I've been doing a lot of multicity award bookings for this very reason. It happens more frequently to me when mixing AS with a partner carrier segment(s).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AS
Anyone have experience with the nomination to MVP from a MVPG? How long does the process take to get the individual to show as MVP in AS system? Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidaldrich58
Anyone have experience with the nomination to MVP from a MVPG? How long does the process take to get the individual to show as MVP in AS system? Thanks!
I nominated my wife, I am 75K, it took about a week and a half for the status to show up on her account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.