Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rkh29
I am AA Gold but have not been able to find all the rules/info related to award travel on AS. I am looking at award on AA flights and have never used AS miles for awards before.
If I book an award with AS miles do I use my AS or AA number. If AS, likely, can I change the AA flights to my AA number?
What are the rules for changed to other AA flights if they become available?
Yes, you can switch the reservation to your AA FF number after booking and get elite benefits. This question was just asked yesterday in the relevant thread in the AA forum.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ashill
Yes, you can switch the reservation to your AA FF number after booking and get elite benefits. This question was just asked yesterday in the relevant thread in the AA forum.
This is one of those nice, little known tricks. Last year I booked an AS flight using DL miles. I then went into the AS PNR and entered my AA FF#. It gave me access to better seats and free bags.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:16 am

All late spring/summer AA is selling seats on a QX PDX-OAK flight for $69 while AS has had it $120-195 for a long time. I keep waiting for AS to drop the prices in line with AA but it hasn't happened. Does that happen on other routes? Annoying. I don't want an AA ticket but I'm also not going to pay twice as much for each flight.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
All late spring/summer AA is selling seats on a QX PDX-OAK flight for $69 while AS has had it $120-195 for a long time. I keep waiting for AS to drop the prices in line with AA but it hasn't happened. Does that happen on other routes? Annoying. I don't want an AA ticket but I'm also not going to pay twice as much for each flight.
Here is a thread I started on this topic a couple weeks ago, ironically also referring to a flight out of OAK

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...codeshare.html

Long story short there is no guarantee that AS will ever price the segment in line with AA. Is there a reason you don't want an AA ticket? BFG/free changes, I assume?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Here is a thread I started on this topic a couple weeks ago, ironically also referring to a flight out of OAK

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...codeshare.html

Long story short there is no guarantee that AS will ever price the segment in line with AA. Is there a reason you don't want an AA ticket? BFG/free changes, I assume?
Change and EQMs - I assume those flights count as partner for EQM purposes? No worry about BFG if the ticket is $69 - it's not going down from there
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Change and EQMs - I assume those flights count as partner for EQM purposes? No worry about BFG if the ticket is $69 - it's not going down from there
I thought that AA ticketed flights on AS metal count as AS EQMs but I might be wrong, I am far from an expert on these things.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:39 am

Also for IROPS or if I miss a flight, I'd rather deal directly with AS as an AS elite than have to go through AA to try to get on another flight.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I thought that AA ticketed flights on AS metal count as AS EQMs but I might be wrong, I am far from an expert on these things.
AA coded AS operated flights count towards AS EQM. However it's at the rates dictated by AA's chart- see AS' blog:

What if I purchase a codeshare flight?

For flights marketed by American, but operated by Alaska, you will earn miles at the new rate.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:25 pm

Also for IROPS or if I miss a flight, I'd rather deal directly with AS as an AS elite than have to go through AA to try to get on another flight.
Ordinarily in IROPS you deal with the operating carrier, not the marketing/ticketing carrier (though you can go to the ticketing carrier at least sometimes). IROPS certainly can become more of a mess when the ticketing and operating carrier aren't the same.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
AA coded AS operated flights count towards AS EQM. However it's at the rates dictated by AA's chart- see AS' blog:
Thanks. So these would earn 25% EQM. Not attractive. But on the other hand, $69 vs $195 for the same flight

Not sure what I'm going to do if Alaska keeps their pricing as they've had it
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks. So these would earn 25% EQM. Not attractive.
PDX-OAK is such a short route that, given the 500 mile minimum, you're only earning 40 or 50 fewer miles per segment.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
PDX-OAK is such a short route that, given the 500 mile minimum, you're only earning 40 or 50 fewer miles per segment.
Forgot about that! 500 mile min still applies on partner flights?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:27 pm

Forgot about that! 500 mile min still applies on partner flights?
Yes, and my experience is that it is applied after the multiplier (so even a 25% earning fare still nets 500 EQMs and 1000 RDMs for a Gold).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Yes, and my experience is that it is applied after the multiplier (so even a 25% earning fare still nets 500 EQMs and 1000 RDMs for a Gold).
Thanks. So that eliminates that as a downside. Maybe I'll give it one more week and if Alaska pricing doesn't change, bite the bullet and buy a bunch of AA tickets.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Hi! First post here. I'm looking to make a trip out to Bangkok in November to visit my dad and looking to maximize my EQMs. I'll be flying out of Seattle. I'm considering a couple options right now.

I have:
118k AS Miles
103k AA Miles
230k Chase UR points

Obviously using miles wont earn me EQM, so I may be looking to use my Chase UR points for the longer/more expensive flights.

Option 1:
SEA > LAX most likely using $
LAX > CSX on HU booked in R Class for 200% EQM for ~$1780
CSX > DMK on Air Asia ~$120
Total EQM: ~30k

Option 2:
SEA > AMS most likely using miles
AMS > BKK on BA booked in I Class for 150% EQM + 100% bonus RDM for ~$1550 (before any AARP or Visa discounts)
Total EQM: ~18k

Based on this it seems like Option 1 is my best bet, but are there other options out there that may be cheaper and/or net me more miles? Or something I'm missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.