Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
I see J space available on Qantas but when I reach the payment stage the web site says that space could not be booked on partner airline. I phones AS (from South Africa at my cost) and agents state that there is a problem. Twitter help are no help whatsoever and vector to a 1-800 number that does not work outside NA.
Anyone know if this (phantom space?) problem with QF will be fixed soon or is there a way to bypass and get the seats? Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
I see J space available on Qantas but when I reach the payment stage the web site says that space could not be booked on partner airline. I phones AS (from South Africa at my cost) and agents state that there is a problem. Twitter help are no help whatsoever and vector to a 1-800 number that does not work outside NA.
Anyone know if this (phantom space?) problem with QF will be fixed soon or is there a way to bypass and get the seats? Thanks
No idea about Qantas, but you can call any US toll free (8XX) number for free from anywhere with decent Internet access with Skype.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by diver858
I experienced an issue on an Alaska flight on March 4, sent a note to Alaska Customer Service via the website, requesting a response on March 6. How long should it take for someone to write back? I would prefer to hold off sharing the details until that time.
A few to several weeks.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
Taking a redeye tomorrow night. There are three seats available in F, does AS offer cheap buy-up opportunities at check-in to non-elites? Or would I need to pay the full difference in fare now?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:32 pm

Question Miles Transfer from Virgin America

When I linked my VX and AS accounts, I transferred all VX miles to Alaska. I'm curious now if I should earn more VX miles, would it be possible to repeat the transfer into the existing AS account? Is there a deadline for this process?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:11 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Why doesn't the award of dca-lax-nrt on as/jl show up on online search? Shouldn't this be an okay routing? What about dca-lax-hkg on as/cx?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ejg930
Taking a redeye tomorrow night. There are three seats available in F, does AS offer cheap buy-up opportunities at check-in to non-elites? Or would I need to pay the full difference in fare now?
Yes, if available, you can purchase an upgrade beginning when online checking opens at 24 hours prior. See the section Pay for Upgrade for the fees, usually but not always this will be lower than the fare difference but is not guaranteed to be offered.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Why doesn't the award of dca-lax-nrt on as/jl show up on online search? Shouldn't this be an okay routing? What about dca-lax-hkg on as/cx?
Have you checked the two legs separately for availability on your desired date(s)?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:10 am

I've had a really hard time finding this online: how long can a layover when booking thru AS points be?

I want to do HKG-BOS-SEA. CX from HKG gets in at 9pm and the next AS flight out isn't until 7am -- a 10 hour layover. Is this permitted?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I've had a really hard time finding this online: how long can a layover when booking thru AS points be?

I want to do HKG-BOS-SEA. CX from HKG gets in at 9pm and the next AS flight out isn't until 7am -- a 10 hour layover. Is this permitted?
Generally this routing is not permitted.

Otherwise, 365 days (stopover) or 23:59 (connection) that is International.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Generally this routing is not permitted.

Otherwise, 365 days (stopover) or 23:59 (connection) that is International.
Thank you for your help!

Can I ask why it isn't allowed? Too much backtracking or something else? If it's backtracking, is there a metric I can use (MPM?) or is it YMMV?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Have you checked the two legs separately for availability on your desired date(s)?
Separate legs show availability, but not via multi-city and not via direct search with origin as dca and destination as nrt. Multicity only shows results with AA, while direct search only shows AA, DL, KE, and AS/DL.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MaxVO
When I linked my VX and AS accounts, I transferred all VX miles to Alaska. I'm curious now if I should earn more VX miles, would it be possible to repeat the transfer into the existing AS account? Is there a deadline for this process?
You should be able to repeat, If for some reason you cannot they will automatically transfer over when the VX program ceases to exist.

Originally Posted by obnoxoid
Booked a VX/AS codeshare--VX 2 (codeshared AS 1002), DCA-SFO, through the Alaska website. The website shows that I am booked in a V fare class. Looking at the Alaska Mileage Plan/Virgin America accrual page, it looks as if this fare should be eligible for the 100% miles + 50% class bonus, assuming it's booked under the VX number.

Does anyone know if these sorts of VX/AS codeshares are booked under the VX number and therefore use this chart or does this count as an AS numbered flight and therefore just uses the normal 100% accrual for a coach fare?

Thanks--hope this question makes sense.
Originally Posted by ashill
I'm pretty sure that all flights booked through AS.com are booked as an AS-marketed codeshare. Therefore, the V code would be an AS V code, not a VX V code. I don't know whether AS*/VX flights accrue according to the VX or AS chart. But if they earn according to the VX chart, it would be whatever AS V maps to on VX (presumably M or so), not VX V.

Of course, equivalent fares earn the same on AS or VX, so it doesn't matter whether your flight earns as AS V or VX M.
If VX flight is booked through AS website use the AS chart. If the flight number starts with a 1 its an AS flight number.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
AS (and non-VX operating carriers) only operates very limited Bay Area to LA area flights, like SNA-SJC. On the random Tuesday I checked (Oct 3), all three SNA-SJC flights are available in low on AS.com (5k AS miles one way) but indeed not AA.com. Have you tried calling BA?
I have not. This would be super inconvenient now we have to call BA to search for AS availability. Waiting for BA agents always takes so long.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by flytothesky88
I have not. This would be super inconvenient now we have to call BA to search for AS availability. Waiting for BA agents always takes so long.
Search on AS.com for availability in low, then call BA and request the flights that AS.com shows as available in low. BA should be able to book them. Seems perfectly convenient to me. (The only issue is you have to figure out whether it's low or medium availability on AS, which is not as simple as it used to be with variable pricing at the low level.)
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Thank you for your help!

Can I ask why it isn't allowed? Too much backtracking or something else? If it's backtracking, is there a metric I can use (MPM?) or is it YMMV?
Backtracking.

There are guidelines that agents use (but are not published publicly) from what I understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.