Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Questions and Discussion About F and PC (Premium Class) Upgrades - 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions and Discussion About F and PC (Premium Class) Upgrades - 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by PandaMVP
Missy, I'm at LAX right now for BWI flight and the GA and her supervisor just told me that the new policy distributed systemwide is to sell all first class seats for paid upgrades until 45 minutes prior to departure and then process complimentary elite upgrades. They said this is brand new...
One hand apparently does not know what the other is doing. And the integrity of the "award winning" Mileage Plan program is at stake.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Baze
Guess they are trying to make all us United defectors feel like we are still flying United. That's one of the sore spots with UA fliers.
So do OLCI upgrades still require U availability to be sold or are they copying that from United too? At least paid gate upgrades can be purchased by elites (as as that is).

My return BOS tomorrow is F6/U0, not entirely happy right now.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AS
Missy, I'm at LAX right now for BWI flight and the GA and her supervisor just told me that the new policy distributed systemwide is to sell all first class seats for paid upgrades until 45 minutes prior to departure and then process complimentary elite upgrades. They said this is brand new...
Confirmed what most of us have suspected for awhile. Well, it was good while it lasted. If Alaska does not value our loyality going forward, then we now question our commitment to flying with them. What has become apparent the last few months is,that AS is becoming like other airlines. What made them special is now lost, IMHO.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
And this mirrors exactly what I was told last week at SEA as well. So this is no longer seeming like one or two misinformed or rogue agents in need of training.

And definitey explains the complete shuttering of U space. One of my flights in Jan. is still showing U0 with only one F seat out of 12 booked. There has been no U since I booked last June. I think the salad days of U are over, my friends, at least until T-45, and those GGUs are all but worthless.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Well, this isn't good, for us.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
And this mirrors exactly what I was told last week ... I think the salad days of U are over, my friends, at least until T-45, and those GGUs are all but worthless.
I wonder if they will even be offering the GGU's as the end of year thank you gift this year?

There are a few (not very exciting markets I guess) where U space is plentiful - I just booked a trip to Chicago for a wedding and I had my choice of dates and times.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
***sigh***

I am acutely depressed ...
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Well, this isn't good, for us.
Agreed. If this is indeed the new upgrade policy I hope AS will do the decent thing and notify all MP members. Then we can all decide what we want to do.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I wonder if they will even be offering the GGU's as the end of year thank you gift this year?...
I'd be surprised if they stopped offering the GGU's for 2 reasons: First, it helps them fill up F with a little extra revenue on routes like the one you found. Second, for MVPGs like us a K fare allows us to pick PC seats at time of booking. AS probably hopes that this will be enough of a carrot to get us to pay extra for K (or higher) fares even if the hoped for U space never opens up. Without the presence of GGU's we might not book that K fare.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
And this mirrors exactly what I was told last week at SEA as well. So this is no longer seeming like one or two misinformed or rogue agents in need of training.
And what was reported from others last spring.

I think there are two different issues here. First, a policy for GA's to sell upgrades before processing complimentary upgrades. It appears to have been in place for months now or longer. These are outside of U availability (my assumption).

Second is the closing of U space, ostensibly to keep from downgrades/bumps if a swap happens. If U isn't open, there are no upgrades to process prior to gate control. If U does open, upgrades process and we don't see the above scenario (which again, I suspect has been there for some time but has been masked by U opening).

TL, dr: U>0: complimentary upgrades first, then paid upgrades. U0: paid upgrades, then complimentary upgrades.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
TL, dr: U>0: complimentary upgrades first, then paid upgrades. U0: paid upgrades, then complimentary upgrades.
yep -- my guess is that AS will never set U>1 (except for an occasional U=2 on some 16F 900s) ... when those are gone, U will stay at 0 until T-45 unless their revenue algorithms decide it's ok to offer one more at some random time or another
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
And what was reported from others last spring.

I think there are two different issues here. First, a policy for GA's to sell upgrades before processing complimentary upgrades. It appears to have been in place for months now or longer.
Missy confirmed on 11/28 that this was not official policy (at least as of that day...). Hopefully she is able to locate a shareable policy to lay out the official upgrade order, and hopefully it is not the policy to sell out from under elites. If so, what a mess.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
There are a few (not very exciting markets I guess) where U space is plentiful - I just booked a trip to Chicago for a wedding and I had my choice of dates and times.
Now I'm wondering what the scheduled equipment is for those where U is open.

My PDX-BOS where I applied GGUs at booking last month was (actually still is) list as a 739, but the plane turned out to be a 738.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Now I'm wondering what the scheduled equipment is for those where U is open.

My PDX-BOS where I applied GGUs at booking last month was (actually still is) list as a 739, but the plane turned out to be a 738.
day-of-flight tail swaps are not at all uncommon ... flight crews are completely interchangeable among -700/-800/-900 equipment; if they downgauge -900 to -800, an additional FA certainly wouldn't detract from the cabin service
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
day-of-flight tail swaps are not at all uncommon ... flight crews are completely interchangeable among -700/-800/-900 equipment; if they downgauge -900 to -800, an additional FA certainly wouldn't detract from the cabin service
Right. I'm wondering if those flights where U is available are scheduled with 739 though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.