Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Questions and Discussion About F and PC (Premium Class) Upgrades - 2017 and Later

Questions and Discussion About F and PC (Premium Class) Upgrades - 2017 and Later

Old Nov 10, 16, 11:33 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

I've been trying to keep up with the multiple threads going, but I'm concerned that I'm missing something.

So if you have a question you'd like me to answer, post it here.

BUT FIRST:

Please review the info posted at as.com. The answer I'm going to give you, is likely already there.

Premium Class upgrade page

First Class upgrade page

Premium Class/Preferred Plus seating policy

Last edited by missydarlin; Nov 15, 16 at 1:28 pm
Old Nov 10, 16, 1:18 pm

I've checked a couple of the parallel threads and did not see a definitive answer to this, but I apologize in advance if it's in there and I missed it.

For existing reservations (say, as of today, 11-10) booked into row 6 or any of the new PC rows, will we be bumped or moved out of these booked seats? I'm MVPG, if that matters. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 16, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Charging for Preferred Plus

Thanks for consolidating, Missy.

Can a person upgrade into "Preferred Plus"? I see it will now cost significantly more money for an elite to sit in Row 6, even on flights lacking the "Premium" configuration. Immediate seating in Row 6 was one of the main reasons I try to achieve status on AS.

Furthermore, on the combi flights to rural Alaska, with no Premium seating and no F, why are elites being charged extra to sit in the bulkhead row?
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
A couple I posted, I didn't see answers to yet:

1) I am confused how upgrade priority for tickets booked BEFORE 12/5 will be sifted in with priority on tickets booked AFTER 12/5 for a flight past 12/5.
Do what they really mean is that as of 12/5 all upgrade lists for flights on 12/5 or later will be sorted by the new priority rules??

"Will I be upgraded into a middle seat?
If there are only middle seats available at your upgrade window and you’re a single traveler, you will not be automatically assigned a middle seat in Premium Class. You will still have the option of selecting a middle seat in Premium Class during your upgrade window or at check-in if a middle seat is available."

2) Do you get upgraded with no seat assignment if all that is left are middle seats, lose your existing seat, and then you have to hope something opens up later?! ....or do you get qualified somehow to move into PC when you want but keep your existing seat?
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH G
Missy - Thank you so much for answering our questions. I've reviewed the website, the news release from today and the other thread, and didn't see this, but apologies if I missed it.

* What rows (#s) are considered Premium Class? I know it starts at 6, but what is the last row of Premium - and are the exit rows in Premium?

Thank you!
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman View Post
* What rows (#s) are considered Premium Class? I know it starts at 6, but what is the last row of Premium - and are the exit rows in Premium?
Exit rows are still Preferred Plus seating and not PC. On the 737-800 Rows 6-10 are PC. On the 737-900 Rows 6-9.
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
PC confuses me. will elites not get upgraded into FC now?
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by haddon90 View Post
PC confuses me. will elites not get upgraded into FC now?
PC is the new upgrade. As a 75 you may start in PC and then F will be the upgrade. IMO
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:42 pm

exit row not premium?

I believe you because that is how I read it - but is opposite what CSA told me on the phone 5 minutes ago.....

Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
Exit rows are still Preferred Plus seating and not PC. On the 737-800 Rows 6-10 are PC. On the 737-900 Rows 6-9.
Old Nov 10, 16, 2:49 pm

seat selection still confusing

So to add to the confusion: thought I'd try PC and went to move from exit row to row 7.....got this message, "You've selected a main cabin seat. Switching to a main cabin seat means you forfeit any seat upgrade fee and miss out on upgraded seat benefits." What's that about????

Old Nov 10, 16, 2:57 pm

I have a question that's kinda, but not related to upgrade.

I purchased a refundable fare in F. XXX-SEA-YYY. XXX-SEA is operated with a combi.

What is the reasoning for AS management to not make row 17 available for free to me?
Old Nov 10, 16, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bethelite View Post
Thanks for consolidating, Missy.

Can a person upgrade into "Preferred Plus"? I see it will now cost significantly more money for an elite to sit in Row 6, even on flights lacking the "Premium" configuration. Immediate seating in Row 6 was one of the main reasons I try to achieve status on AS.

Furthermore, on the combi flights to rural Alaska, with no Premium seating and no F, why are elites being charged extra to sit in the bulkhead row?
On flights without Premium Class, Row 6, 16, and 17 are considered Preferred Plus, and are complimentary for AS elites, and some AA elites.

Last edited by missydarlin; Nov 15, 16 at 3:35 pm
Old Nov 10, 16, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

A couple I posted, I didn't see answers to yet:

1) I am confused how upgrade priority for tickets booked BEFORE 12/5 will be sifted in with priority on tickets booked AFTER 12/5 for a flight past 12/5.
Do what they really mean is that as of 12/5 all upgrade lists for flights on 12/5 or later will be sorted by the new priority rules??

"Will I be upgraded into a middle seat?
If there are only middle seats available at your upgrade window and you’re a single traveler, you will not be automatically assigned a middle seat in Premium Class. You will still have the option of selecting a middle seat in Premium Class during your upgrade window or at check-in if a middle seat is available."

2) Do you get upgraded with no seat assignment if all that is left are middle seats, lose your existing seat, and then you have to hope something opens up later?! ....or do you get qualified somehow to move into PC when you want but keep your existing seat?
1- If they meant that, they would have said that Its my understanding, that if you booked prior to Dec 5, you will be processed the old way. They're only "re-sort" for tickets booked after Dec 5.

2- It makes more sense if you think of it in terms as a seat map rather than an upgrade. The PC seat map will open up to you if you book a qualifying fare, or at a certain window. You can choose to have us auto-upgrade you at the appropriate time, or you can opt out, and then you'll see the seat map and do it yourself at the appropriate window. Same goes for middle seats. If you chose to auto upgrade and we only see a middle seat, we will treat your reservation the same as if there were no seats available, or you had opted out. You will have access to the seat map, but you will not be moved from your current seat.

Last edited by missydarlin; Nov 10, 16 at 3:14 pm
Old Nov 10, 16, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman View Post
Missy - Thank you so much for answering our questions. I've reviewed the website, the news release from today and the other thread, and didn't see this, but apologies if I missed it.

Thank you!
Sorry, I've also added this page to my first post.

This is from the T&C
Upgrade purchases entitle the traveler to reserve a seat within the Premium Class section, which includes rows 6-10 on 737-800s, rows 6-8 on E175s operated by SkyWest Airlines and Horizon Air, and rows 6-9 on 737-900s as they are configured with Premium Class. While every attempt is made to fulfill a specific seat request, seat assignments cannot be guaranteed.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...preferred-plus
Old Nov 10, 16, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CBear View Post
I have a question that's kinda, but not related to upgrade.

I purchased a refundable fare in F. XXX-SEA-YYY. XXX-SEA is operated with a combi.

What is the reasoning for AS management to not make row 17 available for free to me?

Is this something new that happened since the Premium Class changes?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: