Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Conducting Research: Shut up Aviation Geeks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Conducting Research: Shut up Aviation Geeks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by wwongo
I also find the fixation with flying in luxurious first class cabins as an end in themselves a bit strange. So many of those blogs are filled with boasting pictures of the inside of their flying compartment to the exclusion of any pictures of an actual trip.
As one who has written a few First Class oriented trip reports (No blogs, just trip reports here in the forums of Flyertalk), I have to say that for some of us travel in International First Class is - in and of itself - truly enjoyable. I can't say I've looked at many of those photo oriented blogs you've referenced because I prefer the written word. That said, I never saw the spirit of those pictures of First Class accommodations and meals as "boasting" so much as shared excitement.

I enjoy travel literature and have read a lot of it over the years - very little of it here at Flyertalk where most reports are a collection of pictures. Myself, as an aficionado of premium class travel, have chosen to focus my FT trip reports on the experience of "getting there" rather than "being there" because quite frankly, travelogues detailing someone's adventures through Austria or Argentina are a dime a dozen. I know all about that. What I don't know about is what's it like to fly in Premium Class aboard Austrian Airlines or Aerolineas Argentinas. Fully accepting that most others could care less about such things, I - and apparently quite a few others like me - really enjoy reading those flight oriented reports/blogs available here at Flyertalk.

When something becomes a passion - like stamp collecting or birding or say, even flying International First Class - its practitioners often transcend the boundaries of normal behavior in pursuit of their interest. You scratch your head over those who choose to use their miles just to fly for awhile in First Class, and - while it is a bit beyond the pale for the average person - amongst those of us who really enjoy premium class transport by whatever means - we're just busy having fun. Try to ignore us.

P.S. I recently spent a bunch of miles on just such a trip. Normally I would never redeem such a large amount of mileage for something so seemingly frivolous but I guess you could call it an embarrassment of riches. I had more miles accrued than I was ever going to rightfully use in the foreseeable future and it seemed like a good way to celebrate flying my 5 millionth mile flown. Feel free to ignore it right here :

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Breaking Through the 5 Million Mile Threshold in Style

P.P.S. I also agree that while Alaska may be well aware of our mileage accrual activities, it would not be in good taste to come across as boasting about one's methods. Me - I refuse to churn. I earn all my miles the old fashioned way. I fly them.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 3, 2016 at 12:39 am
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As one who has written a few First Class oriented trip reports (No blogs, just trip reports here in the forums of Flyertalk), for some of us travel in that style is in and of itself - truly enjoyable. I can't say I've looked at many of those photo oriented blogs you've referenced as I prefer the written word. That said, I never saw the spirit of those pictures of First Class accommodations and meals as "boasting" so much as shared excitement.

I enjoy travel literature and have read a lot of it over the years - very little of it here at Flyertalk where most reports are a collection of pictures. Myself, as an aficionado of premium class travel, have chosen to focus my FT trip reports on the experience of "getting there" rather than "being there" because quite frankly, travelogues detailing someone's adventures through Austria or Argentina are a dime a dozen. I know all about that. What I don't know about is what's it like to fly in Premium Class aboard Austrian Airlines or Aerolineas Argentinas. Fully accepting that most others could care less about such things, I - and apparently quite a few others like me - really enjoy reading those flight oriented reports/blogs available here at Flyertalk.

When something becomes a passion - like stamp collecting or birding or say, even flying International First Class - its practitioners often go beyond the realm of normal behavior in pursuit of their interest. You scratch your head over those who choose to use their miles just to fly for awhile in First Class, and - while it is a bit beyond the pale for the average person - amongst those of us who really enjoy premium class transport by whatever means - we're busy having fun. Try to ignore us.

P.S. I recently spent a bunch of miles on just such a trip. Normally I would never redeem such a large amount of mileage for something so seemingly frivolous but I guess you could call it an embarrassment of riches. I had more miles accrued that I was ever going to rightfully use in the foreseeable future and it seemed like a good way to celebrate flying my 5 millionth mile flown. Feel free to ignore it right here :

P.P.S. I also agree that while Alaska may be well aware of our mileage accrual activities, it would not be in good taste to come across as boasting about one's methods. Me - I refuse to churn. I earn all my miles the old fashioned way. I fly them.
^^
Word.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
As one who has written a few First Class oriented trip reports (No blogs, just trip reports here in the forums of Flyertalk), for some of us travel in that style is in and of itself - truly enjoyable. I can't say I've looked at many of those photo oriented blogs you've referenced as I prefer the written word. That said, I never saw the spirit of those pictures of First Class accommodations and meals as "boasting" so much as shared excitement.

When something becomes a passion - like stamp collecting or birding or say, even flying International First Class - its practitioners often go beyond the realm of normal behavior in pursuit of their interest. You scratch your head over those who choose to use their miles just to fly for awhile in First Class, and - while it is a bit beyond the pale for the average person - amongst those of us who really enjoy premium class transport by whatever means - we're busy having fun. Try to ignore us.

P.S. I recently spent a bunch of miles on just such a trip. Normally I would never redeem such a large amount of mileage for something so seemingly frivolous but I guess you could call it an embarrassment of riches. I had more miles accrued that I was ever going to rightfully use in the foreseeable future and it seemed like a good way to celebrate flying my 5 millionth mile flown. Feel free to ignore it right here :

Could not have written it any better than this. Now im off to go read that report, so much for work today.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:41 pm

I get it lots of people enjoy things that I think are odd. Actually most people I know think I am odd because I don’t despise flying.

Last edited by jackal; Jul 1, 2016 at 10:49 pm Reason: Missing quote tags
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
When it come to Emirates, there isn't much to "take advantage" of using MileagePlan anymore.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I have 5 EF F segments booked for October. I need to take some Dom to the shower. I'll remember to ask them to bring some back to the J bar. although don't know how you would smuggle it, I swear the attendant wanted to slap my hand for attempting to self pour from the F bar. Got sent back to my seat in shame to wait 10 min for someone to pour it.
I had no issues with the F bar use... didn't know there was any restriction. I even opened my own personal bottle of Dom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.