Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Conducting Research: Shut up Aviation Geeks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Conducting Research: Shut up Aviation Geeks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:27 pm

I really have to agree with this sentiment that no one is pulling one over on the airline or the bank. They have all the information on award usage and how miles are accumulated already. Thinking it’s a secret seems like asking us to all be quiet about those cheap winter fares because the airline might find out that we are tricking them into getting a deal by flying off peak. I assume that they will tweak mileage earning and awards when they are not making a profit on the deal. As a customer and a stock holder I would expect no less. I want Alaska to succeed. I also like a deal and I have my own price point for how much I will fly at certain prices and when I will pay more for Alaska etc. It’s all called capitalism and it’s not a secret.

I have read a lot of those blogs and I do try to maximize the points that I earn on credit cards for spend that I am doing anyway but once you have read a couple of those travel and points blogs you have read them all. They are all obsessed with amassing points for international first class. I’m not sure why on that but it clearly is not a secret from the credit card companies, since many of the bloggers get paid by the credit card companies.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:27 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Just because a moderator is an employee means nothing. They don't use MileagePlan miles.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Well, he may have a point--I haven't (yet) donated to your Missy-Flies-CX-F fund.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Well, he may have a point--I haven't (yet) donated to your Missy-Flies-CX-F fund.
That you've noticed I do have a CX F ticket booked.

Last edited by missydarlin; Jun 29, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Crap, I was wondering why my balance was smaller than it should be.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jackal
Crap, I was wondering why my balance was smaller than it should be.
She must have booked EK F instead
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
She must have booked EK F instead
I'm saving beckoa's miles for that one
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rickg523
Fact is, that churning cards and manufacturing spending aren't rocket science or Secrets of Freemasonry.
^

It may just be me, but I find something inherently pathetic about credit card churning.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Scottrick
They read this forum. I would be surprised to learn that any airline doesn't research what others are writing about it.
I hate to break it to you mate but for the most part Flyertalk is like hearing one of those "Invest in gold now(!)" commercials on the radio. If you are reading it here, it's too late.

Very rarely does a trick or deal break on FT that hasn't been floating around private circles for hours, weeks or even months.

Also, you should all buy gold. I heard on the radio it's a great investment

Last edited by Madone59; Jun 30, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Japan DO in TYO 2017?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Join me in MUC for Oktoberfest then TXL for the Berlin Do. I will be flying EK F outbound on (probably) one of the last cheap AS EK F tickets DFW-DXB-MUC late September.^^

BA F coming home eek for the BA penalty fees.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by 98103
^

It may just be me, but I find something inherently pathetic about credit card churning.
I don’t know that I consider churning “pathetic”. It is opportunistic behavior that the credit card companies can easily shut down and have been increasingly doing. I do find it a bit hilarious though how indignant some of the bloggers get about it when they are shut down. I also find the fixation with flying in luxurious first class cabins as an end in themselves a bit strange. So many of those blogs are filled with boasting pictures of the inside of their flying compartment to the exclusion of any pictures of an actual trip. Sure it's cool but I personally wouldn't start churning credit cards just for that.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by wwongo
So many of those blogs are filled with boasting pictures of the inside of their flying compartment to the exclusion of any pictures of an actual trip.
The blogs that incessantly document endless F travel to nowhere (one immediately comes to mind) remind me of the end of The Twilight Zone episode "A Nice Place to Visit."

"Heaven? Whatever gave you the idea that you were in heaven, Mr. Valentine?"
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, at least they'd be going for a fine use Although I do prefer CX myself... it would be nice to take one more EK F flight (and smuggle a bottle of Dom into the shower )
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well, at least they'd be going for a fine use Although I do prefer CX myself... it would be nice to take one more EK F flight (and smuggle a bottle of Dom into the shower )
I have 5 EF F segments booked for October. I need to take some Dom to the shower. I'll remember to ask them to bring some back to the J bar. although don't know how you would smuggle it, I swear the attendant wanted to slap my hand for attempting to self pour from the F bar. Got sent back to my seat in shame to wait 10 min for someone to pour it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.