Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Change w/o Notification?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Flight Change w/o Notification?

SFO delays were bad on Thursday and Friday because of wind.
Booked on AS/SKW 3391 on Friday. Arrived at the airport and checked-in about two hours before departure. Agent tags my bag and gives me a boarding pass and I see that my seat has changed from 2A to 2F. Which initially made me cranky because I like the solo seat side on the E175.
Asked the agent if she had any solo seats on the A side of the plane and she looked a little puzzled and said no because the cabin is 2 and 2.
Looked more carefully at my BP and realized I had been rebooked on AS387, which departs prior to 3391.
The good news is that I got home 90 minutes earlier than I would have if I was on 3391. The puzzling thing is that I had no notifications from AS. Either text or email. What was even more odd is that when I got to the gate, the agents had to spend 3 or 4 minutes puzzling over my BP because the gate computers didn't show me as being on the flight. And once on board we were further delayed because there were several duplicate seat assignments that had to be sorted out, which is extremely unusual on AS.
Have any of you had a similar experience where you were moved to a different flight during IRROPS and weren't notified? My main concern is if I had arrived 1 hour before the scheduled departure of 3391 I would have missed the flight on which I was rebooked.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
While not exactly the same scenario - it does involve not getting notifications from AS via email or text.

Friday 5/20 Flt 563 LAX/PDX 8:00am scheduled departure.
Check in online the afternoon before - noted a 7:20am boarding time. Arrived at airport at 6:45am - notice that BP now shows boarding at 10:02 for a 10:42 departure. No email or text sent. Oh, well.. go have breakfast and wait it out in the Boardroom. About 9:00 - I notice my BP now shows 12:02 boarding for 12:42 departure. Staff at BR front desk "shrug" their shoulders - concur that the flight is delayed with a slight motion toward the departure/arrival screens on the wall to the right of the desk. They suggest I try the Cust. Svc desk to the left as I exit the elevator. They failed to mention that it was a little bit of a hike, up the escalator and "hidden" behind the "Blu Sushi restaurant/bar". Agent confirmed delay was mechanical - diverted SLC/LAX flight to LAS for fuel related issue. No later flights were available, flights through SEA got me in later than delayed direct. I looked at a 1:10pm on Delta (9:25am Delta flight was available but too close to departure time to make it another terminal to board) - So I decided to wait to see what would happen rather than force a rebook for a less desirable itinerary. I called the MVP Desk - informed them that I was not getting any flight delay notification (despite making sure that the requests for such notifications was indeed set to "on"). Agent said she would notify IT. Went back to BR to wait it out. Asked at front desk of BR if they could make announcements if anything changed on #563 as there were many people in the BR on the delayed flight. They assured me they could. At 11:30am - BP now shows departure at 3:30pm. Not a peep from the front desk. No email - no text - nada from AS as far as communication about delay. Use my phone to book the 1:10pm on Delta - decided to use miles in lieu of $$ as fare had doubled from my first look at 9:30ish until 11:30am. Called MVP Service Desk - informed them of my self rebook and requested that value of LAX/PDX be placed into my "wallet" - it was. Noticed when I landed in PDX (on time) at 3:30 that #563 was now delayed until sometime after 6pm... didn't pay attention to the details as I was now home....

I'm very disappointed that the AS notifications weren't being issued. The lack of such timely notifications prevented me from making alternative arrangement much earlier than I ultimately did. Had I known earlier - I could have booked the 9:25am Delta flight and been home at 12:00. I feel sorry for those people who sat at LAX all day waiting for the 8am flight to depart at 4 something pm.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:24 am

I had a similar experience on Friday flying SFO-SEA. I was originally on AS223, but late the evening before I SDC'ed to an earlier flight, AS331. At that time I checked in and was issued a mobile boarding pass. The next morning, I notice the mobile app says I'm still on my original flight (223), upgraded to first class. Which is odd, because I still have a mobile boarding pass for 331. Customer service couldn't figure out what had happened (confirmed I was still booked on 223, but also showing up on the upgrade request list for 331). They were able to fix it, and I assumed it was just a conflict with the upgrade process upgrading me on my original flight soon after I had switched to the earlier flight.

But given the OP's experience, maybe there were other issues going on with SFO-SEA flights this week.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
At 2:00 AM on Friday morning I did receive a text notification that flight #81 was departing gate C 20 for SEA-ANC at 6:00 AM.

The only problem? I was in Anchorage at the time - and I have *never* been booked on that particular flight. Not on Friday, nor at any time in the past few years or for any of my upcoming trips ...

Unlike those of you who didn't get the messages you needed, I got a 2 AM wake-up-text message that I didn't need.

I think the AS text and app update systems have been drunk most of this week ...
Old May 22, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AKCuisine

I think the AS text and app update systems have been drunk most of this week ...
At least we know it isn't on account of consuming too many PDBs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.