Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Please follow the discussion from the official announcement.
Print Wikipost

Alaska nears $2B bid for Virgin America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think AS would gut a lot of the VX service out of LAX. Why would they still need to fly to places like LAS, MCO, FLL, or IAD? Or even JFK? VX is only making money when oil is trading below $40 a barrel. So I doubt that AS would want to incorporate that into their business model. AS is better off focusing on SFO and building up operations there. Moreover, shedding a lot of the VX routes from LAX allows then to also get rid of more 320s while they still have a good lease/resale value. And probably not have to have split terminal operations (T3/T6). Plus, they can still put their AS code on those same AA flights out of LAX.
Which is why I hope IF this happens the DOJ blocks it. Way too noncompetitive.

B6 and VX is the only matchup that makes sense.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by missamo80
WSJ is reporting it's a done deal at $2.5B.
Mind boggling. I don't see any way this makes financial sense for AS. Do the AS shareholders get a vote on this deal?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Mind boggling. I don't see any way this makes financial sense for AS.
Apparently Virgin has $500m in cash, so it's only $2B...

Neil
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Having a large operation set up at SEA/SFO/LAX (in addition to the operations at PDX and SAN) is somewhat duplicitous. And could lead to one station inadvertently "cannibalizing" from one (or more) of the other stations.
You mean like how DL has large operations set up at SEA and LAX?

Or like how WN has large operations set up at LAS, OAK, LAX, PHX, SJC, SNA and SAN? I hear they're doing just TERRIBLE these days...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You mean like how DL has large operations set up at SEA and LAX?

Or like how WN has large operations set up at LAS, OAK, LAX, PHX, SJC, SNA and SAN? I hear they're doing just TERRIBLE these days...
Or UA with a huge operation at SFO and a sizeable operation at LAX. IIRC, SFO is one of their best performing hubs.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
In all seriousness, what are peoples prediction on this stock tomorrow? I'm thinking about picking some up as it will likely go to 120-150 a share I think if the deal goes over smooth and everything works out as it should.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by nsx
Mind boggling. I don't see any way this makes financial sense for AS. Do the AS shareholders get a vote on this deal?
This makes huge financial sense for AS. If AS doesn't do it, B6 will. And B6 becomes a stronger national player, while AS remains with its SEA hub that is completely irrelevant for most traffic flows for the country.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
In all seriousness, what are peoples prediction on this stock tomorrow? I'm thinking about picking some up as it will likely go to 120-150 a share I think if the deal goes over smooth and everything works out as it should.
120?!? VX? If it reached that high, i'll be slapping myself for not getting it when it was in the 20s.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Although I'd prefer to just keep it "Alaska", the "Virgin Alaska" name has a nice ring to it that I could live with....
+1. Although that would be a tricky relationship because it would also imply that there would be a relationship with VA and VS (potentially causing issues with existing AS partners). This doesn't even include the licensing cost that someone mentioned above.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Which stock, ALK or VA?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Not recommended. VA should open close to the buyout price. My guess is that ALK will open down.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:52 pm
Suspended

No I'm talking about AS's stock, which is currently at about $83. It has done nothing but gone up in the last decade.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
If I felt like putting my money where my mouth is, I'd think about buying HA in a few weeks, after the impact of this transaction has been priced into their stock and before they're the next target.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:07 pm
Suspended

People keep talking about HA, but I don't see where or how HA has anything to do with this scenario?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'm guessing it will go down because AS overpaid. JMHO.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
People keep talking about HA, but I don't see where or how HA has anything to do with this scenario?
With this deal, AS cuts HA off from one of its two sources of mainland feed (the other is JetBlue, and both are half-assed at this point), and adding HA to the mix would further strengthen the combined AS-VX on the West Coast and in Hawaii plus add a fleet of widebodies and a developing trans-Pac network. It would be an operational and management stretch, but if they pulled it off they'd be significantly stronger against DL and (maybe especially) UA. And yes, it would be splendid for us HI-based AS flyers, but I don't think it's purely wishful thinking to imagine that an AS that's willing to pay through the nose for VX may be looking at it as a step in a larger strategic vision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.