Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by friedablass
I had the same question as @notquiteaff - thank you @ffman999 for confirming that it's possible to get the lower class leg booked into the higher class if/when it becomes available. I think many people have this question when searching awards on Alaska, and it would be a good idea to put this information in the Wiki.

I am currently looking at an award where the longer leg is in F and the shorter in J (0 F availability on the shorter leg as of now). I am looking to book for 2 pax, so I was wondering if I should book on the same record or do it as 2 separate reservations on the chance that only 1 F becomes available on the shorter leg will I be able to upgrade only 1 person if we're on the same record?

Thanks.
You cannot ticket different classes in the same record. You can book both of you in the same PNR F/J and if 1F opens up later you can then have an agent split the record and re-ticket one of you in F. Or, you could start with separate tickets and up-class one at a time. Either way works. Have one res is more convenient if 2F opens up at once but having two reservations is slightly more convenient if only 1F opens up and you are willing to fly in separate cabins. The capability of the agent making the change is going to matter much more than your decision to start with one res or two.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You cannot ticket different classes in the same record. You can book both of you in the same PNR F/J and if 1F opens up later you can then have an agent split the record and re-ticket one of you in F. Or, you could start with separate tickets and up-class one at a time. Either way works. Have one res is more convenient if 2F opens up at once but having two reservations is slightly more convenient if only 1F opens up and you are willing to fly in separate cabins. The capability of the agent making the change is going to matter much more than your decision to start with one res or two.
Thank you for your response. I understand everything you're saying except for the part I bolded. Are you saying that if, for example, I'm looking at an award that has LAX-DXB in F and DXB-CMB in J (or Y) and I book it, Alaska will split this into 2 records? 1 record for the F flight and another record for the J or Y flight?

I've booked awards with Alaska in the past, but never in different classes so no experience with this with them, but other awards I've booked with other mileage programs where legs were in different classes the entire reservation still went on one record/PNR. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:25 am

Thank you for your response. I understand everything you're saying except for the part I bolded. Are you saying that if, for example, I'm looking at an award that has LAX-DXB in F and DXB-CMB in J (or Y) and I book it, Alaska will split this into 2 records? 1 record for the F flight and another record for the J or Y flight?

I've booked awards with Alaska in the past, but never in different classes so no experience with this with them, but other awards I've booked with other mileage programs where legs were in different classes the entire reservation still went on one record/PNR. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
I should have phrased more clearly, each passenger in the same record must be ticketed in the the same cabin as the other passenger on all legs (there is one specifier for all passengers in the record). Different legs can be in different classes but each passenger in the same record must be in the same cabin as the other passenger on all legs if they are in the same record. If one pax needs to fly in a different cabin for any leg then you need two records. Two passengers in one PNR can be split into two PNRs (one for each passenger) to allow this which ends up being like you booked two separate reservations.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Sep 6, 2019 at 5:33 am
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Booked two seats on Emirates MLE to YYZ with Alaska miles.
From MLE to DXB the flight is in economy on a 777 and from DXB to YYZ the flight is in first on the 380
Previous threads suggest that if a business or first class seat opens up on the MLE to DXB leg, Alaska airlines can re-book the ticket the economy leg without changing the first class leg (I have MVP Gold status with AS).
My strategy is to pay $110 to upgrade the economy leg for two twin seats on the 777 and wait to see if business or first opens up a few days before the flight which is in November.
Will EK refund the economy upgrade of $110 if I am able to upgrade to business or first?
Or should I wait until the 48 hour mark to choose my seats for free as economy appears wide open - at least according to EF?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:41 am

I should have phrased more clearly, each passenger in the same record must be ticketed in the the same cabin as the other passenger on all legs (there is one specifier for all passengers in the record). Different legs can be in different classes but each passenger in the same record must be in the same cabin as the other passenger on all legs if they are in the same record. If one pax needs to fly in a different cabin for any leg then you need two records. Two passengers in one PNR can be split into two PNRs (one for each passenger) to allow this which ends up being like you booked two separate reservations.
Ok got you now, thanks for clarifying that. Yes, both of us would be in F for leg 1 and J in leg 2. If only one F opens for leg 2 I can split the into 2 PNR and upgrade 1 pax. Can this be done online or I would need to call?

Originally Posted by Moflav
Booked two seats on Emirates MLE to YYZ with Alaska miles.
From MLE to DXB the flight is in economy on a 777 and from DXB to YYZ the flight is in first on the 380
Previous threads suggest that if a business or first class seat opens up on the MLE to DXB leg, Alaska airlines can re-book the ticket the economy leg without changing the first class leg (I have MVP Gold status with AS).
My strategy is to pay $110 to upgrade the economy leg for two twin seats on the 777 and wait to see if business or first opens up a few days before the flight which is in November.
Will EK refund the economy upgrade of $110 if I am able to upgrade to business or first?
Or should I wait until the 48 hour mark to choose my seats for free as economy appears wide open - at least according to EF?
According to this the answer is no.

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/faq/3524750/are-seat-selection-charges-refundable

Customers are not eligible for seat selection refunds if:
  • They’re traveling in a higher cabin class than booked as a result of a voluntary or involuntary upgrade;
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:50 am

Ok got you now, thanks for clarifying that. Yes, both of us would be in F for leg 1 and J in leg 2. If only one F opens for leg 2 I can split the into 2 PNR and upgrade 1 pax. Can this be done online or I would need to call?
You have to call.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Are there issues with award searching right now? I can't seem to find any F availability for 2, HKG to anywhere in the USA for the month of June?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Westin
Are there issues with award searching right now? I can't seem to find any F availability for 2, HKG to anywhere in the USA for the month of June?
Where are you searching? What routing?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Westin
Really? it didn't take long. HKG-DXB-IAD June 3, 2F. 22 hour layover in DXB but all F.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:44 pm

It could be this question is covered in this thread. I'm trying to book mxp -nyc with a stopover in dxb in f. I found availability on both flight but when I use the multi city option it says no availability in f only in j and economy any reason for this?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ijones027
It could be this question is covered in this thread. I'm trying to book mxp -nyc with a stopover in dxb in f. I found availability on both flight but when I use the multi city option it says no availability in f only in j and economy any reason for this?
How are you checking availability? AS availability is not necessarily the same as other partners. What dates are you looking at?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:33 pm

How are you checking availability? AS availability is not necessarily the same as other partners. What dates are you looking at?
I'm looking on emirates for March 31 and from dxb on April 2, I called ek and they saw availability but only for one of the flights to dxb and they saw from dxb not sure why I cant see anything online
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
You have to look at Alaska’s website for availability if you’re using AS miles. Not Emirates.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by ffman999
You have to look at Alaska’s website for availability if you’re using AS miles. Not Emirates.
I'm looking to use Emirates miles not as
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ijones027
I'm looking to use Emirates miles not as
Then why are you asking this question in the AS forum? Go visit the EK forum.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.