Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Interline with UA on two separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Need to get the mother in-law home from ANC via SEA. Want to purchase the AS ticket, ANC-SEA, and then use UA miles for the SEA-ORD trip.

Two separate tickets...

Any chance AS will interline her bags? I realize she will have to pay the AS baggage fees at least.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS G75K
Is there a reason why she needs to go to SEA? You can get to ORD from ANC on UA via DEN.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: lots of little things
They can check your bag through to UA on two tickets provided the connection meets or exceeds the minimum connection time in sea. It's easy to confirm, try building that itinerary on any OTA like Expedia. If you can find it for sale, it has passed the MCT test.

You don't mention any return, but UA and AA no longer offer to interline bags on multiple tickets when checking in with them. There could be a few alliance based exceptions but that wouldn't apply with your carriers.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by dc333
They can check your bag through to UA on two tickets provided the connection meets or exceeds the minimum connection time in sea. It's easy to confirm, try building that itinerary on any OTA like Expedia. If you can find it for sale, it has passed the MCT test.

You don't mention any return, but UA and AA no longer offer to interline bags on multiple tickets when checking in with them. There could be a few alliance based exceptions but that wouldn't apply with your carriers.
I didn't hear UA and AA don't do this anymore. Bummer. AS policy in the past has been to check bags through, even on two separate tickets. But even then, the agent working check in has the power to either allow or deny it. There's a chance you could probably get lucky with a UA agent on the return regardless of policy changes, but no guarantees.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
I didn't hear UA and AA don't do this anymore. Bummer. AS policy in the past has been to check bags through, even on two separate tickets. But even then, the agent working check in has the power to either allow or deny it. There's a chance you could probably get lucky with a UA agent on the return regardless of policy changes, but no guarantees.
From ua.com:
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...olOthrCarriers

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-2015-a.html
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by doug_999
Need to get the mother in-law home from ANC via SEA. Want to purchase the AS ticket, ANC-SEA, and then use UA miles for the SEA-ORD trip.

Two separate tickets...

Any chance AS will interline her bags? I realize she will have to pay the AS baggage fees at least.
Why not just use UA miles the entire way? UA flies ANC-ORD most of the year and connections via DEN when the nonstop isn't running.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks everyone - that was what I thought. No go with two separate tickets. With regards to flying home direct, unfortunately UA only seems to run red eye flights out of ANC and she was not keen on waiting around all day just to take a flight. So she is booked in coach on AA with miles all they way through via SEA (longer layover, but still home by midnight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.