Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

changing flights with gold upgrade certificate already applied

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

I am considering changing our flights where I have initially used our gold certs to upgrade. The new flights also have U class available. Wonder whether I can do this online without losing the gold certs or need to make the change first, call customer care to have gold certs reinstated and then reapplied to the changed itinerary. Would be nice to do this all in one step.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'd just call the MVP Gold line and have them deal with it for you. They're so helpful and fast it's not even worth waiting for someone to reply here with how it should work

Neil
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bronco29
I am considering changing our flights where I have initially used our gold certs to upgrade. The new flights also have U class available. Wonder whether I can do this online without losing the gold certs or need to make the change first, call customer care to have gold certs reinstated and then reapplied to the changed itinerary. Would be nice to do this all in one step.
I think the big issue here is, if the GGUs expired in 2015, can they be reapplied to a new itinerary in 2016?? I've wondered this myself. I've had two given to me from last year for an itinerary I have booked for this year....if I change flights, do those GGUs go away, go to the person who they originally belong to, or do they automatically get applied to the new itinerary (over the phone by an agent...I know this isn't possible online)?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

From https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...upgrades.aspx:

If a flight upgraded with an MVP® Gold Guest Upgrade is changed or canceled, the upgrade is forfeited. A replacement Guest Upgrade code can be requested through Customer Care only by the MVP® Gold to whom it was originally issued.
Neil
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The only answer is to call and ask.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS G75K
Originally Posted by missamo80
I'd just call the MVP Gold line and have them deal with it for you. They're so helpful and fast it's not even worth waiting for someone to reply here with how it should work

Neil
This one right here. Those folks are so helpful and could handle this for you in a quick phone call.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm a bit confused. Are you guys saying that the Gold desk books the whole flight for you, or that after you rebook it in an eligible fare with seats available, they do the upgrading?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm saying call the gold desk and ask them the best way to handle it.

Neil
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We have decided not to change our flights after all. But will call Gold Desk if this situation should come up again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.