Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F9 adds PDX-PHX/CLE/ORD, SEA-CLE/PHX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Keep in mind Frontier comes and goes in markets.

Phoenix will find some traffic.

Who the heck in Portland travels to Cleveland? Seriously, even when Cleveland was a hub airport for Continental/United we didn't have service. I can't see how there is sufficient direct traffic when there wasn't even sufficient connecting traffic for this route. Cleveland is a pit if you've ever been there.

Of all the cities I would hope for non-stop service, this is not even in the top 25.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
AS has largely ignored F9, especially in terms of pricing....every few weeks or so F9 has a PDX-DEN sale for $29 or $39 dollars and AS never matches. My guess is the promo prices to ORD/CLE will also be too low for AS to match.
You get what you pay for. Keep that in mind. 1 flight every other day on some of these new routes is hardly enough to convince me.

Buddy did one of these lowball guys recently; told him if something goes wrong he's hosed.

Well guess what, the once a day every other day caused him grief when the first flight failed and he had problems. He wasted several days, messing up his vacation, before bagging it and buying a ticket on a real airline. He wasted several days of his vacation dinking around with these morons.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
Hmmm....I am not seeing SEA-CLE as a new route with F9.
F9 has been flying SEA-CLE for a few months, if not longer.

I'm somewhat surprised G4 (Allegiant) hasn't started seasonal service to SEA. Its business model would work great from Montana, Oregon, California, and parts of Alaska.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
F9 has been flying SEA-CLE for a few months, if not longer.
Oh OK, I know that F9 ran a seasonal route SEA-CLE last year, but I thought they had discontinued it. The title of this thread states that SEA-CLE is one of the "new" routes announced today. So, I figured that maybe they had reinstated it.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tbau
Thank you. I can barely understand half of the posts here and I travel quite a bit. Seems to me we should speak English and less in code. I would think saying "Frontier is going to Phoenix" is a lot easier (or just as easy) than "F9 is going to PHX". Unless you have a glossary memorized it's a lot more readable too.

I'll get off my soapbox now and return you to the discussion about Frontier.
Well, there is a glossary on here, but a lot of the terms and acronyms aren't even included in the glossary. For example, "GGU". Took me a while to figure that one out.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Cleveland is a pit if you've ever been there.
I have spent more time in Cleveland in the last 18 months than I ever imagined. It's not as bad as people like to say. It's fast becoming one of my favorite stops in the spring, summer and fall.

A few years ago, UA flew PDX-CLE. It didn't last long. F9 has a pretty big presence at that airport, though.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:31 pm

Hi -

Also, CO used to have a PDX-CLE redeye.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Also, CO used to have a PDX-CLE redeye.
When? I was aware of a few extra flights put on for holiday periods to handle additional east coast traffic, but nothing beyond that.

Hey, if Frontier can find a way, all power to them. But remember, Frontier comes and goes in markets. So don't plan too far ahead.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Free agent!
When? I was aware of a few extra flights put on for holiday periods to handle additional east coast traffic, but nothing beyond that.
http://airlineroute.net/2013/02/25/ua-clepdx-jun13/
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Huh, guess I missed that 2.5 month flight.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Keep in mind Frontier comes and goes in markets.

Phoenix will find some traffic.

Who the heck in Portland travels to Cleveland? Seriously, even when Cleveland was a hub airport for Continental/United we didn't have service. I can't see how there is sufficient direct traffic when there wasn't even sufficient connecting traffic for this route. Cleveland is a pit if you've ever been there.

Of all the cities I would hope for non-stop service, this is not even in the top 25.
Cleveland doesn't seem like a pit to me. There are some really rough areas but it has big city amenities, a decent dining scene, and prices are reasonable. Cleveland also appears to be increasingly catering to visitors with the addition of a bunch of hotels including a 600 room Hilton opening later this year. I think most these hotels were under construction or announced before the RNC's decision to host the 2016 convention in Cleveland.

That said, I agree that it doesn't seem like there would be enough O&D leisure traffic between Cleveland and Portland to make the route work for Frontier. I could see Alaska making SEA-CLE work with the benefit of connecting traffic but I suspect it won't be long before Frontier makes CLE-PDX seasonal (like SEA) or before the route is cut altogether.

I do know at least one Portlander who would benefit from the Frontier flight, but I am sure she would prefer to fly Alaska even if it meant connecting in SEA.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I have spent more time in Cleveland in the last 18 months than I ever imagined. It's not as bad as people like to say. It's fast becoming one of my favorite stops in the spring, summer and fall.

A few years ago, UA flew PDX-CLE. It didn't last long. F9 has a pretty big presence at that airport, though.
^
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by rwinn
Cleveland doesn't seem like a pit to me. There are some really rough areas but it has big city amenities, a decent dining scene, and prices are reasonable. Cleveland also appears to be increasingly catering to visitors with the addition of a bunch of hotels including a 600 room Hilton opening later this year. I think most these hotels were under construction or announced before the RNC's decision to host the 2016 convention in Cleveland.

That said, I agree that it doesn't seem like there would be enough O&D leisure traffic between Cleveland and Portland to make the route work for Frontier. I could see Alaska making SEA-CLE work with the benefit of connecting traffic but I suspect it won't be long before Frontier makes CLE-PDX seasonal (like SEA) or before the route is cut altogether.

I do know at least one Portlander who would benefit from the Frontier flight, but I am sure she would prefer to fly Alaska even if it meant connecting in SEA.
Good luck to Frontier.

Ohio is one state Alaska has no service to. It's a big state, but population is spread out across three cities, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. Might be an interesting addition to add Ohio, but I just can't see it. Frontier seems to think they can make it work, so we'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.