F9 adds PDX-PHX/CLE/ORD, SEA-CLE/PHX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2794638

Any chance of AS retaliating on any of these routes or by starting SEA/PDX-CLE?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
I would be thrilled to see AS do SEA/CLE using a 737....
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I kinda doubt they'd start CLE service. The business case for SEA-CLE isn't going to be helped with competitors on the route, one of them being an LCC that can undercut cost. And PDX-CLE has even less of a case.

I could see some retaliation on SEA/PDX-PHX... summertime is kind of dead (and hot) season for PHX.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fingers crossed for a fare war on PDX-ORD!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
AS has largely ignored F9, especially in terms of pricing....every few weeks or so F9 has a PDX-DEN sale for $29 or $39 dollars and AS never matches. My guess is the promo prices to ORD/CLE will also be too low for AS to match.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
These flights aren't even close to daily, so I don't see how/why they would have any real impact on AS.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I could see some retaliation on SEA/PDX-PHX... summertime is kind of dead (and hot) season for PHX.
It may be "dead" (relatively speaking, compared to Spring Training season), but the PHX flights are usually pretty full and in my experience the fares are ridiculously high ($320-$450 o/w), evening the middle of summer.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tusphotog
It may be "dead" (relatively speaking, compared to Spring Training season), but the PHX flights are usually pretty full and in my experience the fares are ridiculously high ($320-$450 o/w), evening the middle of summer.
I don't think I've ever paid that much for SEA-PHX or PHX-SEA one way, even during Thanksgiving. I usually buy advance fares, the ones F9 is probably targeting for $49/79.

-shrug-
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Hmmm....I am not seeing SEA-CLE as a new route with F9.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:04 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
If the gas prices stay low you are going to see all sorts of extra routes across the board this year. Then when the prices go back up, a lot of them will cease. Where is F9 getting all the new planes to add 42 routes? Obviously something is getting cut as well. I dont see any war over CLE or ORD. If anything it will force AS, AA and UA to lower the darn fares to a more reasonable level given the low costs of fuel. What Im wondering....did AS and these other carriers hedge fuel when it was higher and now its much lower and F9 possibly doesnt have any hedged fuel or just hedged for the future at current rates?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don't think I've ever paid that much for SEA-PHX or PHX-SEA one way, even during Thanksgiving.
How far in advance? I typically buy 7-10 days in advance, so that's likely what fuels the higher prices I pay.

It all evens out in the end though, as for Christmas, I refared (twice!) from $349 o/w to $250 o/w down to $150 o/w.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
At the risk of sounding stupid what is an F9?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by tbau
At the risk of sounding stupid what is an F9?
Frontier Airlines
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by ANC
Where is F9 getting all the new planes to add 42 routes? Obviously something is getting cut as well.
Roswell maybe? With fuel as cheap as it is, maybe it is now economical to run some of the older birds sitting out there?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Originally Posted by sturges
Frontier Airlines
Thank you. I can barely understand half of the posts here and I travel quite a bit. Seems to me we should speak English and less in code. I would think saying "Frontier is going to Phoenix" is a lot easier (or just as easy) than "F9 is going to PHX". Unless you have a glossary memorized it's a lot more readable too.

I'll get off my soapbox now and return you to the discussion about Frontier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.