Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
A frriend of mine, with a United Mileageplus Explorer card, bought a United ticket where the return segment was on Alaska Airlines - apparently they were given priority boarding (on the Alaska flight) - is this standard practice? (And if so, does the Explorer card get you free luggage for Alaska flights, as long as the ticket is bought from United?)
Not enough info to be able to answer substantially. In and of itself, a United MP CC doesn't get any benefits on AS.

I'm thinking your friend was on some higher fare. Did it actually say "Priority" on the BP? Where did your friend buy the ticket from? The fare info itself would be more telling.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:16 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Not yet.

They choose to reward loyalty through lower tier qualifications by sticking to AS metal. ^
Thank you.

Another question. If I was matched to MVP Gold, and then I hit MVP Gold 75K through flying, would I be eligible for the 50k bonus miles or would the status match make in ineligible regardless?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by richh1833
Thank you.

Another question. If I was matched to MVP Gold, and then I hit MVP Gold 75K through flying, would I be eligible for the 50k bonus miles or would the status match make in ineligible regardless?
that's not how a status match work - a status match doesn't give you the requirements for free, it just gives you gold.

So if you fly the difference between Gold and Gold 75k, you'll still be only a gold, because you start your qualifying miles still at 0.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by richh1833
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
that's not how a status match work - a status match doesn't give you the requirements for free, it just gives you gold.

So if you fly the difference between Gold and Gold 75k, you'll still be only a gold, because you start your qualifying miles still at 0.
Not entirely correct. If status matched to Gold, that pax would still be at 0 EQM, as pointed out. BUT if said pax flew the required 75K/90K amounts to qualify for Gold 75K, then all benefits come with it, including the 50K bonus.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Not entirely correct. If status matched to Gold, that pax would still be at 0 EQM, as pointed out. BUT if said pax flew the required 75K/90K amounts to qualify for Gold 75K, then all benefits come with it, including the 50K bonus.
yes, correct. I assumed he was asking about flying just the difference. If he flew enough to qualify for 75k in itself then that'd still work, yes.

Question: Does status matching get you status for the year or for the year+1 (like early qualification)? Does it depend on when during the year (e.g. second half) you status match?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:42 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Thanks all. IceTrojan had the correct interpretation of what I meant. It wasn't clear on the website so I wasn't sure if it meant all matches or just Gold 75K matches.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Smiley90
yes, correct. I assumed he was asking about flying just the difference. If he flew enough to qualify for 75k in itself then that'd still work, yes.

Question: Does status matching get you status for the year or for the year+1 (like early qualification)? Does it depend on when during the year (e.g. second half) you status match?
At last reports, matching status gets you to the end of the year the same year as your match, unless it's after Oct 1, then you keep the status until the end of the following year.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by MissJ
Thanks!

I saw this and got excited https://www.alaskaair.com/order-food/

I'm in row 2 on my next flight so I should be fine. Just don't want to end up near the end since I'm a relatively picky eater.

So, what goes well with the Hazelnut Espresso Vodka?
I think that's for coach food preorders. I don't recall seeing any mention about F preorders in the press releases.

When you put your info in on that page, does it show the ordinary coach or F options? Or try the same from the app?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Do you have any status?
No, unfortunately
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Wiki Created....

I've carried over the Wiki from the 2015 Flame-Free thread --- if there are any changes to the folks serving as Ambassadors or Moderators for 2016 please let me know and I'll update the Wiki.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Getting to MVP Gold with the help of Alaska Airlines Partners

Hello everyone!
I'm new here.

My goal is to get MVP Gold status on Alaska Airlines this year. (I can't wait to have change fees waived!)

I've been looking at various Alaska Airlines partners and trying to fly them for my upcoming international trips this year. Currently I'm looking to book a flight from SFO to MGA (in Nicaragua) and I see that both AeroMexico and American Airlines have flights for this itinerary.

Of the two, what is the better airline to fly? They're both Alaska partners so the mileage will be posted - but other than that should I take anything else into consideration? Do I book through Alaska Airlines or through AeroMexico/American (whichever I end up going through)?

I also have the Amex Gold Premier Rewards Card that comes with the $100 airline credit. I've heard that it's possible to buy small ($50 or so) gift certificates on the airlines and get them reimbursed through Amex but I haven't heard if that works specifically with Alaska Airlines. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ssk244
I've been looking at various Alaska Airlines partners and trying to fly them for my upcoming international trips this year. Currently I'm looking to book a flight from SFO to MGA (in Nicaragua) and I see that both AeroMexico and American Airlines have flights for this itinerary.

Of the two, what is the better airline to fly? They're both Alaska partners so the mileage will be posted - but other than that should I take anything else into consideration? Do I book through Alaska Airlines or through AeroMexico/American (whichever I end up going through)?
For the time being, the cheapest Aeromexico fare buckets only earn 50% miles on Alaska, with the rest earning 100%, while all AA fares earn 100%. That might change in a few months since AA just devalued earning for their own program, though. Either way, you'll book through the partner airline; Alaska only allows booking for award tickets on partners (except domestic connecting flights--I was able to book PWM-DCA-PDX with the first segment on AA).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ssk244
Hello everyone!
I'm new here.

Of the two, what is the better airline to fly? They're both Alaska partners so the mileage will be posted - but other than that should I take anything else into consideration?
Welcome!

I've never flown Aeromexico, so I can't compare the two airlines in terms of the product, but there are a couple of things worth considering when it comes to earning elite status.

As has been noted already, Aeromexico doesn't earn as much in cheaper fare classes, but American's earning rates are likely to change soon. You can look at the rates for partners on Alaska's web site. Click on the partner you want for details. Each one is different.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:02 pm

Ooh, good to know. Thank you Jinglish for the info!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon
Welcome!

I've never flown Aeromexico, so I can't compare the two airlines in terms of the product, but there are a couple of things worth considering when it comes to earning elite status.

As has been noted already, Aeromexico doesn't earn as much in cheaper fare classes, but American's earning rates are likely to change soon. You can look at the rates for partners on Alaska's web site. Click on the partner you want for details. Each one is different.
Calculon - thanks for the info. Is there an easy to way figure out what the Class Fare prior to making the purchase so I can compare and see how much it'll earn on Alaska?

I guess I never paid attention to fare class before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.