Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
If AS wants to attract more SAN business flyers, they need to offer a BR to be competitive. I really don't understand why they don't convert the old UC into a BR. Offering the AC in another terminal is not much of an offer.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Howard
If AS wants to attract more SAN business flyers, they need to offer a BR to be competitive. I really don't understand why they don't convert the old UC into a BR. Offering the AC in another terminal is not much of an offer.
They're not really offering business destinations.

Boston, Honolulu, Kahului-Maui, Kailua-Kona, Lihue, Orlando-International, Portland (OR) Seattle/Tacoma, Puerto Vallarta, Salt Lake City, San José del Cabo, Monterey, Santa Rosa, Mammoth Lakes, Boise, Fresno, Salt Lake City

Let's see, 4 Hawaii destinations, two Mexican resort destinations (not MEX or GDL), a seasonal ski resort, and Mickey's Corporate Office, AS hubs, and some random CA/Mountain West destinations that either WN can't serve because realistically this calls for an RJ (FAT/MRY/STS/BOI), or ones that tweak DL's nose (SLC).

Out of SAN's top domestic 10 destinations by pax volume, AS is serving ONE of them (SEA), plus SAN's top international destination (SJD). WN, by contrast, serves EIGHT of them (and they serve DAL and MDW, not DFW and ORD, so really, they serve all ten metro areas).

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Di...tional_Airport)

If AS were to get serious about making SAN a full on hub instead of a focus city, they'd need to start serving places like PHX and the Bay Area... but if it's all vacation spots + opportunistic adds in the network that avoid head-on collisions with WN, hard to justify an investment for a Board Room.

I don't think AS's strategy is a bad strategy at all, given that they need to hold off DL in SEA. You probably don't want to start a war on two fronts with WN out of SAN. But what AS is doing out of SAN (and SJC too) isn't a full-scale assault for business passengers yet.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They're not really offering business destinations.

Boston, Honolulu, Kahului-Maui, Kailua-Kona, Lihue, Orlando-International, Portland (OR) Seattle/Tacoma, Puerto Vallarta, Salt Lake City, San José del Cabo, Monterey, Santa Rosa, Mammoth Lakes, Boise, Fresno, Salt Lake City

Let's see, 4 Hawaii destinations, two Mexican resort destinations (not MEX or GDL), a seasonal ski resort, and Mickey's Corporate Office.

Out of SAN's top domestic 10 destinations by pax volume, AS is serving ONE of them (SEA), plus SAN's top international destination (SJD). WN, by contrast, serves EIGHT of them (and they serve DAL and MDW, not DFW and ORD, so really, they serve all ten metro areas).
(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Di...tional_Airport)

If AS were to get serious about making SAN a full on hub instead of a focus city, they'd need to start serving places like PHX and the Bay Area... but if it's all vacation spots + opportunistic adds in the network that avoid head-on collisions with WN, hard to justify an investment for a Board Room.

So I respectfully disagree for years i lived in SD ( my man office is still there) and while did not enjoy the variety of the destinations they have today, but was able to do Seattle, Portland and then co share with AA for the Bay Area. Many many businesses in SD are military or tech, so thats up and down the coast , yes ? And today I will do my meetings in SD then on to BOS or Orlando, or hop up to LAX and hit DC. I see many of the same faces every time I go back an forth.

No AS needs to get on this. On a side note I was transferring though SEA this week and had to fly out of the dreaded N gates saw the sign for the new BR, which doesn't open till 2017 your kidding me right? 2 1/2 years ? I am a construction company and THAT is a long time. poor planning
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:52 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
So ... On a side note I was transferring though SEA this week and had to fly out of the dreaded N gates saw the sign for the new BR, which doesn't open till 2017 your kidding me right? 2 1/2 years ? I am a construction company and THAT is a long time. poor planning
Is this the basement location?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Is this the basement location?
LOL no it's the old Red Carpet Room
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
On a side note I was transferring though SEA this week and had to fly out of the dreaded N gates saw the sign for the new BR, which doesn't open till 2017 your kidding me right? 2 1/2 years ? I am a construction company and THAT is a long time. poor planning
If you have not been following the second SEA boardroom sage, a temporary BR will open on the main level of the N terminal this fall (maybe since it was supposed to have been open last spring), followed by the new rooftop BR in 2017 (with another big maybe on that date). The old United Club in the basement has been taken over by the Port of Seattle to use as a construction office.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
If you have not been following the second SEA boardroom sage, a temporary BR will open on the main level of the N terminal this fall (maybe since it was supposed to have been open last spring), followed by the new rooftop BR in 2017 (with another big maybe on that date). The old United Club in the basement has been taken over by the Port of Seattle to use as a construction office.
I walked right up to where that is and the sign said 2017
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I walked right up to where that is and the sign said 2017
Read it again. You're wrong, twice.

Interim BR opens in October; permanent opens in 2018.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Read it again. You're wrong, twice.

Interim BR opens in October; permanent opens in 2018.
so take a picture and post.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so take a picture and post.
http://singleflyer.com/2015/06/30/ne...om-in-seattle/
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Thanks for the link. The sign says 2018 for the permanent NEW Board Room in N.

The temporary Board Room opens in October 2015.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:46 pm

Do I have lounge access? which lounge?

I will be flying San - LIH (Kauai) first class on AS in Oct.

4 of us on the late morning flight. Will we be able to get into a lounge? What kind of food/drinks will be available? Where in airport is it located?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ymi2f

4 of us on the late morning flight. Will we be able to get into a lounge? What kind of food/drinks will be available? Where in airport is it located?

Uh, have you read this thread? The entire thing is basically about how sad it is that there is no AS lounge at SAN despite having room for one.

I actually get to PDX a little earlier than I have to sometimes just to hang out in the BR and have a snack or some pancakes....very relaxing experience before a flight....so glad SAN isn't my home airport...what a depressing airport for such a fun destination....
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ymi2f

Alaska only offers complimentary lounge access for a subset of their first class passengers in their Board Rooms (their own lounge which they operate). Alaska does not have a board room in San Diego, as has been noted in this thread.

The subset in question is paid or award first class (not upgrade).

It is actually uncommon for first class passengers to have lounge access in the United States as part of their premium ticket (it is typically limited to itineraries in premium classes for New York-California or international travel). Alaska is one of the last USA-based airlines to include access to their lounge with paid/award first class domestic tickets.

Typically lounge access is purchased separately, or is as a result of airline alliance elite status on non-USA based airlines.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Thanks for the link. The sign says 2018 for the permanent NEW Board Room in N.

The temporary Board Room opens in October 2015.
BUT as I previously said and there was NO mention of 2015 on that poster is there?

Having said all that It will be a great relief to have one there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.