FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   San Diego Lounge Access (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1704866-san-diego-lounge-access.html)

jsguyrus Aug 23, 2015 12:33 pm

San Diego Lounge Access

I have a flight coming up to SAN. As a boardroom member the AS web site says I can now use the AA lounge in SAN, however when I look up the Admirals club locations on the AA web site it shows the Air Space Lounge in SAN. My question is can I use the Air Space lounge in SAN with a boardroom membership and can I even get in the AA terminal since it is different than where AS flights depart?

Jimgotkp Aug 23, 2015 12:49 pm

The AC used to be located at the Airspace lounge. Last year, AC attendants used to work at one area of the lounge but not sure if that is still the case.

Flew AS metal but was able to access the other terminal. Just mentioned to TSA that I was going to use the lounge.

PDXPremier Aug 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 25315274)
I have a flight coming up to SAN. As a boardroom member the AS web site says I can now use the AA lounge in SAN, however when I look up the Admirals club locations on the AA web site it shows the Air Space Lounge in SAN. My question is can I use the Air Space lounge in SAN with a boardroom membership and can I even get in the AA terminal since it is different than where AS flights depart?

Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time since the AA lounge will be in a totally different terminal, but not TOO much time since the AS terminal is boring and a bit claustrophobic in my opinion....

PV_Premier Aug 24, 2015 11:59 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25315579)
but not TOO much time since the AS terminal is boring and a bit claustrophobic in my opinion....

the simple solution to this problem is to hang out in the adequate food court area until T-30ish then go thru precheck and onto the plane. adequate from the seating perspective not the food options perspective of course i mean to say.

Madone59 Aug 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 25315274)
can I even get in the AA terminal since it is different than where AS flights depart?

I've never tried it but expect that because the terminals have zero air side connection you will be stopped.

PDXPremier Aug 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Definitely one of my least favorite airports...makes LAX look like dream world :)

Madone59 Aug 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 25320382)
Definitely one of my least favorite airports...makes LAX look like dream world :)

Flying AS (or WN) I completely agree! T1 is a joke.

CDKing Aug 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Technically if you have a boarding pass you can access any terminal at the departing airport even if not connected. I used to go use the UC when flying out of the Commuter terminal. if TSA says no ask for supervisor

pdx1M Aug 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Other than the long walk to the other terminal there is no issue in getting to a lounge there. I had a very long layover earlier this year on AS and left the AS terminal to go use the United Club in the other terminal since I have a UC membership. TSA didn't even ask why - just scanned the BP as usual.

edgewood49 Aug 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 25320443)
Flying AS (or WN) I completely agree! T1 is a joke.

Not only is it a joke but there is a perfectly usable clubroom there ready to go, sans furniture, the old United Club room which years gone by was great with my AMEX pass! I have written as well many others to AS about this and they there is not enough to open one. BS if one looks around the terminal it's packed.

But then this is no where near the joke at BOS where you know your in the sub par area when you share a gate with Sun Country. That is disgusting I just hate flying in to BOS for that reason. DL did a good job of boxing AS out.

This is one of the reasons I am seriously not renewing my BR in January instead using my AMEX PP better deal as the BR's are getting really long in the tooth. Really long! Sorry Frank at PDX !

pdx1M Aug 24, 2015 5:56 pm

AS really should have a BR at SAN since they seem to be using SAN more these days as a mini-hub for Mexico etc. I understand not having a BR at network endpoints but at hub like airports they really should.

edgewood49 Aug 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M (Post 25322298)
AS really should have a BR at SAN since they seem to be using SAN more these days as a mini-hub for Mexico etc. I understand not having a BR at network endpoints but at hub like airports they really should.

I agree especially since I am there at least once a month. I think AS is pretty well stretched these days but hoping they don't lose sight. SAN is a no brainer for a club room. And it would be the nicest one in the system if they don't "mess" with it

Waitlisted Aug 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 25322585)
I agree especially since I am there at least once a month. I think AS is pretty well stretched these days but hoping they don't lose sight. SAN is a no brainer for a club room. And it would be the nicest one in the system if they don't "mess" with it

I wonder if it has to do with a large number of family/vacation trips to and through SAN. Maybe a larger percentage of the mass of people there would never use it.

edgewood49 Aug 25, 2015 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Waitlisted (Post 25323158)
I wonder if it has to do with a large number of family/vacation trips to and through SAN. Maybe a larger percentage of the mass of people there would never use it.

Not sure but I can tell you that in doing this for the last ten years there are a lot of familiar faces, and many very apparent business travelers. And families have BR members too!

No I think not. Shame because as AS get stretched, like today with a canceled flight again !!

Madone59 Aug 25, 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by pdx1M (Post 25322298)

It's not like there isn't a perfect space already available!! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/calif...er-ua-rcc.html. I'd love to see a BR in SAN.