Wiki Posts
Search

Just a bigger seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Just a bigger seat

Currently on AS 91 which is now delayed 95 minutes. AS 62 was delayed on Thursday. In both cases nothing was offered to the F Pax on either flight. Most Y Pax are leaving the plane. It is obvious that The comment I just overheard is true "it is no longer First Class...just a bigger front seat."
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
AS lacks in the predepart department, and I've experienced the same when delayed.

The upsides is AS has good on time performance, so this doesn't happen that often. But when it does, their delay handling is poor compared to other carriers in F.

On my last DL SFO-SEA, the inbound was late, so they did a quick turn. The FA apologized to the F cabin that she didn't have time to do a full drink service. I laughed, as I was already a pillow and blanket ahead of AS service.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Was flying DL on 7/1/15 CLT-ATL and we were delayed in Charlotte due to TS's and then gate congestion.

Spent about 1.25 hours at the gate and the FA's offered full PDB's, refills, and the snack basket before departing.

They also offered water to main cabin customers about :45 in to the delay.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BOB W
Currently on AS 91 which is now delayed 95 minutes. AS 62 was delayed on Thursday. In both cases nothing was offered to the F Pax on either flight. Most Y Pax are leaving the plane. It is obvious that The comment I just overheard is true "it is no longer First Class...just a bigger front seat."

Ouch. That doesn't sound good. There should be compensation for a flight that was delayed more than 1 1/2 hours, in addition to service provided to passengers during the delay.

One area where I see F as "just a bigger front seat" is in regard to meal service. Not the significantly upgraded meal service that I experienced during June and posted about on FT (which must have been a "non-existent phantom meal change" according to the Social Care team and F&B director) but the once-again downgraded meals served on some routes.

In particular, the lunch service now on ANC-SEA and ANC-PDX routes has reverted back to just a warm sandwich in F, while the Y meal offering is a chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and haricots vert.

When the coach meal offering is better than what is served in F, then something is definitely wrong.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by AKCuisine

One area where I see F as "just a bigger front seat" is in regard to meal service. Not the significantly upgraded meal service that I experienced during June and posted about on FT (which must have been a "non-existent phantom meal change" according to the Social Care team and F&B director) but the once-again downgraded meals served on some routes.

In particular, the lunch service now on ANC-SEA and ANC-PDX routes has reverted back to just a warm sandwich in F, while the Y meal offering is a chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and haricots vert.

When the coach meal offering is better than what is served in F, then something is definitely wrong.
If they insist no changes were made, perhaps your flight this month was just miscatered? Happens occasionally when there is an aircraft swap just prior to departure.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
If they insist no changes were made, perhaps your flight this month was just miscatered? Happens occasionally when there is an aircraft swap just prior to departure.

There's far more than could be explained by a single mis-catered flight, nor by an aircraft swap.

Here is the link to the detailed discussion of lunch variability post I made on the What Will Alaska Be Serving in First Class Discussion thread
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by AKCuisine

+1

I know it's not possible but I sometimes wish we could see with our own eyeballs what is being served in F so we can make an educated decision regarding opting for a Y meal. The FA's do a good job of making the meal sound good so I always take it and more often than not I wish I hadn't. And I assume that once they serve it it's too late to opt out.

It's sad that it has come to this where even though we are flying in F we wonder if we wouldn't be happier with a Y meal. I still think that on everything but the transcons where a proper meal is served that they should just comp the Y meal to everyone in F and be done with it. That way I won't have to make the wrong decision.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Next week I am flying my first paid F DL flight ANC-SEA. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they offer. Heck, I'm actually a little excited
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS
Quick question about F?
SEA -HNL :which first class seat would you select for this trip? We are traveling as a couple.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
+1

I know it's not possible but I sometimes wish we could see with our own eyeballs what is being served in F so we can make an educated decision regarding opting for a Y meal. The FA's do a good job of making the meal sound good so I always take it and more often than not I wish I hadn't. And I assume that once they serve it it's too late to opt out.

It's sad that it has come to this where even though we are flying in F we wonder if we wouldn't be happier with a Y meal. I still think that on everything but the transcons where a proper meal is served that they should just comp the Y meal to everyone in F and be done with it. That way I won't have to make the wrong decision.
Agreed. I typically can't get information about the coach offering until later in the flight - when it's too late. I've asked the coach FAs about the Y meal when they're distributing the entertainment tablets up front, but 9 out of 10 times I'm told they don't know yet. Not sure if that's accurate or just the easiest answer ...

Next week I am flying my first paid F DL flight ANC-SEA. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they offer. Heck, I'm actually a little excited
Please post it for us on the AS forum so we have a comparison. Perhaps in the "Discussion" thread, the "Bored Room," or the "Flame Free" thread. Many of us here probably don't venture over to the dark side - I mean the Delta forum - very often.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by pcoll
Quick question about F?
SEA -HNL :which first class seat would you select for this trip? We are traveling as a couple.
Row 2 unless I'm on the flight and I'm in 2A
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by pcoll
Row 4 or 2. Row 4 allegedly has a bit more room, but some people don't like being in the last row. Most people don't like row 1 because of reduced leg room.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa

Row 2 unless I'm on the flight and I'm in 2A
You mean unless I'm in 2A, which would typically be the case unless Seat 2A is on the flight.

Originally Posted by dayone
Row 4 or 2. Row 4 allegedly has a bit more room, but some people don't like being in the last row. Most people don't like row 1 because of reduced leg room.
The best row, IMO, is row 2. The bulkhead row can feel confining to many people, and some of us don't like not having under-seat storage in front of us.

If you are seated further back - rows 3 or 4 - there's a higher chance of not getting your choice of entree, provided the FA follows the AS protocol of taking meal requests front-to-back.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
If they insist no changes were made, perhaps your flight this month was just miscatered?
AS 62 July 11 had the pulled pork sandwich, some very tasteless coleslaw and a cookie. I think they are back to the way it was.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I just flew Delta F from ATL-SFO and the choices were a calzone with side salad or Salmon Salad. Not my picture but this is exactly what my clazone meal looked like including the dessert:

Typically it is one warm option and a cold option with a packaged cookie for dessert. Sometimes it is 2 warm dishes but haven't seen that in a while. The food is nothing to write home about but edible.

EDITED: just realized the ATL-SMAF flight below was at 8:05pm and fell in DL's "refreshment" window so no full dinner service. Highly doubtful you would get something like this unless you are outside of their meal windows. if you are unlucky you will get a hot sandwich that looks something like this and it's not very good. Not my picture but had the same offering on a recent ATL-SMF flight:

PDB is near 100% unless delayed and when it is delayed they apologize for no service.

Overall I find DL provides a quality product. I book it all to AS of course because their FF program sucks.

I

Last edited by apodo77; Jul 14, 2015 at 6:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.