FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2015 edition)
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:03 pm
AKCuisine

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Variability across the continuum of "Lunch"

There has been some inconsistency in what I've observed being served as "lunch" on my flights - usually on ANC-PDX or ANC-SEA - yet there have been statements from Alaska Air that claim there have been no changes made in the meal service.

Here is a short summary of some of my flights I've put together from my notes. There probably have been other lunch flights on routes of similar duration during this time frame, but these are the only ones I can currently find where I documented the lunch service. These were specifically listed as "lunch" flights, not a "snack" service.

1) 10/29/14 - ANC-SEA #84 12:40 PM Lunch -- PDB water only, no warm towels. Lunch was turkey hoagie with a side of slaw on the plate and a piece of chocolate.

2) 12/16/14 - ANC-PDX #140 11:40 AM Lunch -- Choice of a PDB, warm towels passed. Lunch was chicken in chipotle cream sauce on pasta with some salad on the same plate, and a piece of chocolate.

3) 12/23/14 - PDX-ANC #131 9:45 AM Lunch -- Choice of a PDB was offered, no warm towels. Lunch was chicken in chipotle cream sauce on pasta with some salad on the same plate, and a piece of chocolate.

4) 3/24/15 - ANC-SEA #120 10:35 AM Lunch -- PDB water only, no warm towels. Lunch was chicken in chipotle cream sauce on pasta with a side of steamed broccolini on the same plate, and a piece of chocolate.

5) 5/1/15 - ANC-SEA #118 11:35 AM Lunch -- PDB water only, warm towels passed on desent. Lunch was a Cubano sandwich on a ciabatta roll with a bag of potato chips, and a piece of chocolate.

6) 5/14/15 - ANC-SEA #120 10:35 AM Lunch -- PDB water only, no warm towels. Lunch was a Cubano sandwich on a ciabatta roll (with horrid sweet pickels), a bag of potato chips, and a piece of chocolate.

7) 6/3/15 - ANC-SEA #118 11:35 AM Lunch -- PDB water only. Lunch was 2 courses served on the same tray. There was bowl of salad, a warm roll and butter, and a plate of chicken pieces in chipotle cream sauce over pasta. Dessert was a packaged chocolate chip cookie.

8) 6/25/15 - ANC-PDX #140 11:40 AM Lunch -- PDB water only. Lunch described as "grilled chicken" but was not as billed. It was, however, served in 2 courses. First the tray with a bowl of salad and a warm roll with butter. Later the plate of chicken pieces in chipotle cream sauce over pasta. Dessert was a packaged chocolate chip cookie.

9) 7/8/15 - ANC-PDX #140 11:40 AM Lunch -- Black coffee only as PDB, warm towels later in flight. Lunch was a pulled chicken sandwich with mild chipotle sauce (AKA BBQ sauce) on a ciabatta roll, with a side of slaw on the plate. Dessert was a packaged oatmeal raisin cookie.

All of these were listed as lunch flights. What is particularly striking is the differences noted in the meals served on the same flights (#140, #120 and #118) that I've highlighted.

Lunches go from an entree and side on the same plate with candy, down to a sandwich with a bag of potato chips, up to a 2-course lunch with a cookie, then back down to just a sandwich with slaw on the plate and a cookie.

Can anyone explain how this represents "no changes made" in the meal service?

Last edited by AKCuisine; Jul 13, 2015 at 6:24 pm Reason: clarification