Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BOS Operations to Move (Again) to Terminal B Gates 35A-36 (10/16/2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS Operations to Move (Again) to Terminal B Gates 35A-36 (10/16/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Flew out on 3/2 and landed in terminal A, flying back today out of terminal C. A few comments:

A short walk - The best thing about the terminal move is that it is a very short walk from the entrance to the ticket counter, another short walk from the ticket counter to security and it appears to be a very short walk from the ticket counter to the gate (haven't gone through security yet, so I'll update as necessary). They warn you at the ticket counter that there is no hot food available (or much else) once you are through security. That doesn't appear to be a problem as there is a food court between the ticket counter and security that has a burrito place, an asian place, a Sbarro, a Burger King and a sports bar. Primary plan appears to be stop there and head through security after you have eaten.

Option B - The secondary plan (mentioned elsewhere) is to head into the main Gate C security line and and sample the options there (Legal Sea Food was highlighted), but as I got to the airport very early (2pm for the 6:40pm Seattle flight), I went with Option C.

Option C - If you get there very early (as I did), the walk over to Terminal A is not so bad (about the same as the walk between terminals at SAN). If you have Pre-Check (particularly in mid-afternoon) you can breeze through security at Terminal A and head to the SkyClub. The folks there were very welcoming (they said "we miss our Alaska customers"). I'm hanging out here and will head back to Terminal C around 5pm.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dashark
Flew out on 3/2 and landed in terminal A, flying back today out of terminal C. A few comments:

A short walk - The best thing about the terminal move is that it is a very short walk from the entrance to the ticket counter, another short walk from the ticket counter to security and it appears to be a very short walk from the ticket counter to the gate (haven't gone through security yet, so I'll update as necessary). They warn you at the ticket counter that there is no hot food available (or much else) once you are through security. That doesn't appear to be a problem as there is a food court between the ticket counter and security that has a burrito place, an asian place, a Sbarro, a Burger King and a sports bar. Primary plan appears to be stop there and head through security after you have eaten.

Option B - The secondary plan (mentioned elsewhere) is to head into the main Gate C security line and and sample the options there (Legal Sea Food was highlighted), but as I got to the airport very early (2pm for the 6:40pm Seattle flight), I went with Option C.

Option C - If you get there very early (as I did), the walk over to Terminal A is not so bad (about the same as the walk between terminals at SAN). If you have Pre-Check (particularly in mid-afternoon) you can breeze through security at Terminal A and head to the SkyClub. The folks there were very welcoming (they said "we miss our Alaska customers"). I'm hanging out here and will head back to Terminal C around 5pm.

Is the walk outside?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by seahawkflyer
Is the walk outside?
It's outside of security but not outdoors. You can walk indoors between all terminals at BOS. If I had to guess, the A-C walk is about 10 mins.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Security

The security line is a bit of a hassle. There is only a single line (no first class/MVP, no pre-check), but it seems to move quickly. Probably because these gates only serve the Alaska trans-cons which have a high percentage of experienced flyers.

If you are cleared for pre-check, you get an "Expedited" pass which means you keep your shoes on, your liquids in your bag & you go through the metal detector. Laptops come out for everyone.

Overall, it was slower than normal pre-check, but not bad.

At the gates, there is plenty of room & seats, but very limited services. As noted elsewhere, just a grab & go with cold food and drip coffee. I didn't see an espresso stand. Limited electrical outlets as well. I didn't check the wifi.

Definitely not somewhere I'd want to spend a couple of hours waiting for a flight.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
These are the absolutely worst gates at Boston with no lounge and no precheck! I am really mad. I am Boston based and was hoping to use AS as my transcon carrier of choice... ugh.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by dashark
If you are cleared for pre-check, you get an "Expedited" pass which means you keep your shoes on, your liquids in your bag & you go through the metal detector. Laptops come out for everyone.
At 5pm today (for ASA15), pre-check became "Expedited" which didn't even get one a metal detector. (If you're not fond of the scanners it was back to pat-downs.) Still not a fan.

As far as I know the plans for a post-security connection to the rest of C are dead, at least until some future world in which JetBlue is using those gates again.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Adding them as overflow gates for Jet Blue would make a lot of sense (with tarmac shuttle from "main C"). I don't see them as long-term viable AS gates at all.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I wonder how much of this might be fueled by Delta Ground Services (a division of Delta Air Lines) decision to discontinue service agreements with Alaska Airlines at 13 stations, 6 cargo offices, and various de-ice locations from March 31st, 2014. Boston is one of those stations.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
This news is very unfortunate. As a longtime UA flyer, I've been trying out some of the nonstop AS flights on the SAN-BOS route to avoid UA connections. The AS terminal in SAN is vastly inferior to the UA terminal. While it's true that UA used to use the AS terminal, at least UA had a club there. AS refuses to open a club at SAN even though the old UA space is vacant. I simply don't understand that decision. Nevertheless, even with the inferior terminal at SAN, I figured at least I could enjoy the A terminal at BOS with the DL club. Now, the terminals on both ends are way below current standards. I just don't know if it's worth putting up with these vastly inferior terminals for the nonstop flights. AS is certainly making it a difficult decision.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't think AS requested this situation.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
These are the absolutely worst gates at Boston with no lounge and no precheck! I am really mad. I am Boston based and was hoping to use AS as my transcon carrier of choice... ugh.
Ever visited B1-B3, the Air Canada gate area? Similar to the new Alaska area, but much smaller and only a small coffee stand. Upside is that I've never seen more than five people in a security line.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I wonder how much of this might be fueled by Delta Ground Services (a division of Delta Air Lines) decision to discontinue service agreements with Alaska Airlines at 13 stations, 6 cargo offices, and various de-ice locations from March 31st, 2014. Boston is one of those stations.
As best as I can tell, this has nothing to do with DL. Massport is renovating part of Terminal E and they're moving WN to A while they're doing so. Thus, AS & SY had to go to make room for WN.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long is this renovation supposed to take?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
I flew out of BOS on Monday from the new terminal C. Looking around at the gate area, it appears AS only has C40 and C41. C42 is configured with JetBlue signage. I don't know if that's old, but at least until now, they're only using 2 gates in that area.

When we landed in BOS on 3/4 (day 1 of the new terminal), we ended up having to wait 20-30 minutes on the tarmac as the gate was still occupied by a departing aircraft. Too bad, that killed our early arrival. But at least the bags came out quickly!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
How long is this renovation supposed to take?
2+ years i hear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.