Search

MVP flight plan, SMF to ANC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
MVP flight plan, SMF to ANC

Hey all,

I'm flying back to ANC from SMF sometime next month. Probably three weeks from now. What's the best flight itinerary for being an MVP getting complimentary upgrades, especially the SEA to ANC portion? I'm assuming Tuesday or Wednesday would be my best bet? I'm buying the ticket this time. Stupid mileage tickets.

THANKS!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Your best bet is to skip SEA and connect in PDX.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Chugach. Should I do the morning or evening flight out of PDX? I actually prefer the PDX airport. I used to live by Mall 205. The only bad thing would be doing the Horizon flight out of SMF. But not a big deal.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think the fare rules permit a connection in both SEA and PDX so I would route SMF-SEA-PDX-ANC.....you'd avoid out of SMF and your upgrade chances into ANC should be much better.....for you ANC flyers out there, is it true that the upgrade chances out of PDX to ANC are WAY better than SEA or is it not as big of a difference I think?

My route suggestion also gets you over 500 more EQMs!!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

That is genius! Thanks! I will so do that.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think the fare rules permit a connection in both SEA and PDX so I would route SMF-SEA-PDX-ANC.....you'd avoid the Q400 out of SMF and your upgrade chances into ANC should be much better.....for you ANC flyers out there, is it true that the upgrade chances out of PDX to ANC are WAY better than SEA or is it not as big of a difference I think?

Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think the fare rules permit a connection in both SEA and PDX so I would route SMF-SEA-PDX-ANC.....you'd avoid out of SMF and your upgrade chances into ANC should be much better.....for you ANC flyers out there, is it true that the upgrade chances out of PDX to ANC are WAY better than SEA or is it not as big of a difference I think?

In my experience PDX-ANC has much better upgrade odds than SEA-ANC.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
SMF-LAX-ANC, with SMF-LAX on American or Delta.

PDX is another reasonable option but I bet LAX has better odds.

The horizon flight isn't that bad, I fly it constantly. Just enjoy the view and the free beer. Usually it routes right over Shasta and Crater Lake.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Hey thanks! I might do that. Do you think LAX will have better odds than PDX? I wish I could enjoy beer, but I'm on many medications for pudendal nerve entrapment and sciatica.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by SayNoToCoach
Hey thanks! I might do that. Do you think LAX will have better odds than PDX? I wish I could enjoy beer, but I'm on many medications for pudendal nerve entrapment and sciatica.
If you're flying SMF-LAX on Delta, your upgrade chances would be low since you fall behind everyone in the upgrade order. On AA, you only get 50% off MCE and no upgrade shot at all.
Just fyi.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Here's the other issue with LAX. If your upgrade doesn't clear, you're in coach for 5 hours. If you connect in PDX or SEA and your upgrade doesn't clear, you're in coach for 3 hours.

3 hours in coach is better than 5 hours in coach.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Chugach
Here's the other issue with LAX. If your upgrade doesn't clear, you're in coach for 5 hours. If you connect in PDX or SEA and your upgrade doesn't clear, you're in coach for 3 hours.

3 hours in coach is better than 5 hours in coach.
But more miles so they can earn MVPG
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

But more miles so they can earn MVPG
Great if you have the time to go 700+ miles out of your way. Me, I'd rather get there as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Plus, routing through LAX means flying partner metal, which increases the threshold for MVPG by 10,000 miles. Unless you plan on flying AA/DL enough to make up that extra 10k it's a faster route to Gold to stick to AS metal.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by berliner5000
If you're flying SMF-LAX on Delta, your upgrade chances would be low since you fall behind everyone in the upgrade order. On AA, you only get 50% off MCE and no upgrade shot at all.
Just fyi.
I clear SMF-LAX almost 100% of the time. Ymmv.

I honestly think LAX-ANC would be the easiest upgrade of the three options.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I honestly think LAX-ANC would be the easiest upgrade of the three options.
I agree LAX-ANC should be better odds... but no guarantee of course.

And I wasn't thinking about partner metal, as SMF-SEA/PDX-ANC will yield less AS EQM over AS' LAX-ANC N/S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.