Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines, Tom Douglas Partner to Bring Signature Dishes to to the skies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines, Tom Douglas Partner to Bring Signature Dishes to to the skies

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by edgewood49
And I hate to even tell you about my EK flight FC Lax to Dubai !
I've got news for you, edgewood ... I do know a little bit about Emirates. During the past 2 weeks I flew EK F LAX-DXB; EK F DXB-HKG; and CX F HKG-LAX. All of the flights were were fabulous and I had wonderful visits in Dubai and Hong Kong during this year's return visit.

That makes a total of 6 EK flights for me during the past year. If my calculations are correct, then as a 5'6" female I've probably consumed my own weight in Dom and caviar by now.

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Aside from flights with full meal service in F (transcons, Hawaii, etc.) I do not know why AS just doesn't forgo the so called 'F' meal and offer the cheese plate or hot Y meal free to first class passengers. The 'F' meal rarely compares to what is served in Y. And if they want to maintain the illusion of first class it could always be removed from it's container and served on a plate.

I am looking forward to trying the Tom Douglas meal and intend to purchase it if I am in F at the time.
They didn't have the hot meal option when I flew LAX-SEA in Y on a SDC the end of last week, and I missed out on the Tom Douglas meal SEA-ANC because I was up front & they ran out before I could get one. I certainly would like to see F get the option of the meals from Y - plated and on a tray, of course - if that's the meal that we choose.

Choice is where AS falls down in F service. At least in Y they get a choice. IMO we should have a choice of meals when were in F, too.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
True....I wouldn't be surprised to see "3 pounds of polenta" as one of our "elite thank you gift" options this year
Ohhh noooooo ... don't even think such a thing, PDXPremier ...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Choice is where AS falls down in F service. At least in Y they get a choice. IMO we should have a choice of meals when were in F, too.
This "we" has always had a choice of entrees when flying in F on AS. Examples from this past weekend's SEA-BWI-SEA MR: french toast or eggs benedict for breakfast; tortellini or baked cod for dinner.

So I must be missing something.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by dave1013
This "we" has always had a choice of entrees when flying in F on AS. Examples from this past weekend's SEA-BWI-SEA MR: french toast or eggs benedict for breakfast; tortellini or baked cod for dinner.

It was stated that aside from the transcons....
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dave1013

The mid-con and trans-con menus do offer two options, so I stand corrected on that point, dave1013.

But for those who fly routes that are about 3 1/2 hours or less (ANC-SEA, ANC-PDX, SEA-LAS, PDX-SFO, etc.) there's only one meal option offered in F - take it or leave it - while the folks in Y can get a hot meal or a cheese plate or a variety of snacks. They have choices.

Up front you get 1/2 ounce of snack mix and no choice of the meal. Meals that (at least lately) have been featuring filler-items like polenta, quinoa and other dishes that - if you follow the food threads here - are not necessarily "fan favorites."

Lots of F flyers would like the option of getting the variety offered in Y. Dishes like the tasty banh mi sandwiches. The cheese plates. Or the new Tom Douglas chili dish. Or (*gasp*) the Angus cheeseburger ...
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The mid-con and trans-con menus do offer two options, so I stand corrected on that point, dave1013.

But for those who fly routes that are about 3 1/2 hours or less (ANC-SEA, ANC-PDX, SEA-LAS, PDX-SFO, etc.) there's only one meal option offered in F - take it or leave it - while the folks in Y can get a hot meal or a cheese plate or a variety of snacks. They have choices.

Up front you get 1/2 ounce of snack mix and no choice of the meal. Meals that (at least lately) have been featuring filler-items like polenta, quinoa and other dishes that - if you follow the food threads here - are not necessarily "fan favorites."

Lots of F flyers would like the option of getting the variety offered in Y. Dishes like the tasty banh mi sandwiches. The cheese plates. Or the new Tom Douglas chili dish. Or (*gasp*) the Angus cheeseburger ...
The cheeseburger was one of my favorites when flying domestic F on UA...it would be great to see it in F on AS for these west coast flights that don't get the transcon service.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I've got news for you, edgewood ... I do know a little bit about Emirates. During the past 2 weeks I flew EK F LAX-DXB; EK F DXB-HKG; and CX F HKG-LAX. All of the flights were were fabulous and I had wonderful visits in Dubai and Hong Kong during this year's return visit.

That makes a total of 6 EK flights for me during the past year. If my calculations are correct, then as a 5'6" female I've probably consumed my own weight in Dom and caviar by now.

They didn't have the hot meal option when I flew LAX-SEA in Y on a SDC the end of last week, and I missed out on the Tom Douglas meal SEA-ANC because I was up front & they ran out before I could get one. I certainly would like to see F get the option of the meals from Y - plated and on a tray, of course - if that's the meal that we choose.

Ohhh noooooo ... don't even think such a thing, PDXPremier ...

Since my last was three weeks ago I must have had the remaining caviar ! But had ice cold vodka with mine! Must admit the shower did make a difference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.