FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines, Tom Douglas Partner to Bring Signature Dishes to to the skies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1631773-alaska-airlines-tom-douglas-partner-bring-signature-dishes-skies.html)

dave1013 Nov 26, 2014 5:31 am

Alaska Airlines, Tom Douglas Partner to Bring Signature Dishes to to the skies

From email received this morning:

Iconic Seattle chef's onboard dish to begin flying Dec. 1

Travelers on Alaska Airlines are invited to lift their palates this winter, as Alaska and Tom Douglas announce a new partnership to take airplane food to new heights. Beginning Dec. 1, travelers on all Seattle-departing flights 2.5 hours or longer will be able to purchase a savory winter entrée, developed specially by Douglas for Alaska's customers.

"Tom is one of Seattle's most iconic chefs. He's been at the epicenter of Seattle's rich restaurant scene for 25 years, and the dishes he's developed for Alaska are sure to delight and inspire our adventurous customers," said Halle Hutchison, Alaska's managing director of brand marketing. "Our customers love to try new things and we can't wait to share what Tom has created for them."

The partnership begins with Tom Douglas's Cascade Brisket Chili, elevating a savory winter favorite with tender, smoky chunks of brisket in a mildly spicy ancho chile tomato sauce. It's topped with melted cheese and a charred pepper, and served over a baked Yukon gold potato. A rotating menu of signature Tom Douglas entrees will begin flying in early 2015.

"Alaska Airlines and I have a lot in common, so coming together to delight travelers with savory, high quality food from the Pacific Northwest made sense," said Douglas. "Food is an important part of every great journey and it's an honor to have my cuisine featured on Alaska's flights."

Alaska customers enjoy artisan, locally sourced food and beverages of the Pacific Northwest when they fly, including the new Tom Douglas signature entrees, Beecher's and Tillamook cheeses, Chateau Ste. Michelle and Canoe Ridge wines, Seattle Chocolates, Sun Liquor premium liquors, Alaskan Amber and other regional microbrews, Starbucks coffee, and more. For more information on Alaska's food and beverage program, visit www.alaskaair.com/tomdouglas .

beckoa Nov 26, 2014 10:53 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Chili on a plane? :o

Haven't heard from Chef Cliff in a while...

edgewood49 Nov 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23901672)
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

now thats "cooking" with gas

CDKing Nov 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23901672)

I think Cliff is gone. I'm hoping the new menu will be on my Feb BOS-ANC MR. I'll need to sustenance for the same day red-eye return PDX-SEA-ANC-SEA-PDX-BOS

Rich Boykin Nov 26, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm flying to DFW on 12/10 - will be interesting to see if its offered on that flight. Wonder if this will be only in coach, or if they will have TD menu touches in first?

PV_Premier Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 23902244)
now thats "cooking" with gas

coming to a thread near you: "AS retrofits engines to run on methane" :rolleyes::D

BOB W Nov 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 23903508)
coming to a thread near you: "AS retrofits engines to run on methane" :rolleyes::D

Well, if that is the case they can top off tanks from my Rottweiler. Emphasis on the "rott":D

Seat 2A Nov 27, 2014 3:03 am

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 23900201)
From email received this morning:

Alaska and Tom Douglas announce a new partnership to take airplane food to new heights. Beginning Dec. 1, travelers on all Seattle-departing flights 2.5 hours or longer will be able to purchase a savory winter entrée, developed specially by Douglas for Alaska's customers.

"Tom is one of Seattle's most iconic chefs. He's been at the epicenter of Seattle's rich restaurant scene for 25 years, and the dishes he's developed for Alaska are sure to delight and inspire our adventurous customers," said Halle Hutchison, Alaska's managing director of brand marketing. "Our customers love to try new things and we can't wait to share what Tom has created for them."

I hope for the best. Forgive me if I come across as a bit cynical but airlines these days try to make it sound as if they're providing 70s style service when the fiscal realities demand 2014 style service - a considerable downgrade based upon my experience - about 5000 flights worth. It'll be interesting to see how these new meals turn out - especially amongst those who aren't too scared or insecure to actually photograph their meals and report on them! :eek: Yeah that's right - you read me right - go ahead and submit a photograph or two, much less a report. G'wan! I dare ya!

edgewood49 Nov 27, 2014 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 23905313)
I hope for the best. Forgive me if I come across as a bit cynical but airlines these days try to make it sound as if they're providing 70s style service when the fiscal realities demand 2014 style service - a considerable downgrade based upon my experience - about 5000 flights worth. It'll be interesting to see how these new meals turn out - especially amongst those who aren't too scared or insecure to actually photograph their meals and report on them! :eek: Yeah that's right - you read me right - go ahead and submit a photograph or two, much less a report. G'wan! I dare ya!

we just took two flights inter South Africa on SA and in coach they served a small dish of chicken and rice, crackers and a small great desert plus drinks. That chicken was great and far better than FC on AS for sure.

ANC Nov 27, 2014 7:33 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 23902349)
I think Cliff is gone.

hoping he took the polenta with him on the way out the door :confused:

ANC Nov 27, 2014 7:36 am

I sure hope there are more simple meals. We dont need these attempts at making gourmet meals for the air. Just get back to basic meals and food choices with more modest portions. Cheeseburgers, beef tips and mashed potato, bowls of mac n cheese, raviolis, salads with ranch or italian dressing. We dont need lemon vinegarette 10 variety of greens salads with edemames or Turkish style chicken tips over plum and pomegranite sauce etc. Just simple good filling meals

PDXPremier Nov 27, 2014 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 23906037)
I sure hope there are more simple meals. We dont need these attempts at making gourmet meals for the air. Just get back to basic meals and food choices with more modest portions. Cheeseburgers, beef tips and mashed potato, bowls of mac n cheese, raviolis, salads with ranch or italian dressing. We dont need lemon vinegarette 10 variety of greens salads with edemames or Turkish style chicken tips over plum and pomegranite sauce etc. Just simple good filling meals

+++++1

PDXPremier Nov 27, 2014 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 23906029)

Let's hope so....

beckoa Nov 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ANC

:(

I like the variety.

The rotation of some stuff though...ugh. I want to see more, not less.

BOB W Nov 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 23902349)
I think Cliff is gone.

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 23906029)

Cliff has been gone for a long time. Gone well before the advent of polenta. I don't mind it, it's just tasteless cornmeal, only slightly thicker.