Search

I hope this isn't the new logo...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
The Chul case study is a little more involved and extensive than your average student design exercise.
If that's the case, you'd think they'd hire someone who's better at Photoshop (see, e.g., the 772 mockup)
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Who uses ticket jackets anymore?
CX

Its nice to have a map to the lounges
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by LAXative
If that's the case, you'd think they'd hire someone who's better at Photoshop (see, e.g., the 772 mockup)
and has a grasp of where AS flies. Boston is not listed, Miami was dropped a couple of years ago and it's EWR, not new York.

IMO that font is downright ugly and confused.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LAXative
You'd be surprised how little graphic designers know about airplanes.

If this is the new deal I'm not immediately impressed -- I think it's less passionate, personal and evocative than the current branding. Perhaps they're trying to take the cultural allusions to Alaska out of the brand to facilitate a national-carrier play, but it doesn't have the forceful personality of a jetBlue or VX -- the thin serif typography looks both cold and weak. Unassertive. It looks like they are ripping off the jetBlue palette, though, lock, stock and barrel. and the cloudy, stormy, brooding backgrounds in the poster art don't portend a happy experience; they look like stormy skies over Transylvania. The logotype suggests a fly-by-night eastern European charter carrier using wet-lease aircraft.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BearX220
You'd be surprised how little graphic designers know about airplanes.
'Tis true. But even if they use a Sopwith Camel as their model, they should get the alignment of the logo correct... and reduce the pixelation... so many things
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
If that really is the new logo i think the Ultra Modern look is a mistake. It will date far quicker than other logos.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by shand32783
Unless it's by error....There is a pretty significant fundraising event coming up in the Seattle area in a week and this is the logo that's showing on the Sponsor's page.
Sure would have been nice to provide a link.

Only thing I can find was a 5K run and it has the normal Alaska logo.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by United757
That's definitely not. It's a pet design project, usually done by students in a design course (at least that's my experience with these awful mock ups).
That's exactly what it is: an art school project. It's actually listed on the art center's student portfolio section:
http://network.artcenter.edu/gallery...laska-Airlines

An entire redesign campaign for an organization as large as AS would be too large for a single freelance designer to successfully pull off... especially one who graduated 2 years ago and has so little experience: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chulgrafik
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dadamn
That's exactly what it is: an art school project. It's actually listed on the art center's student portfolio section:
http://network.artcenter.edu/gallery...laska-Airlines

An entire redesign campaign for an organization as large as AS would be too large for a single freelance designer to successfully pull off... especially one who graduated 2 years ago and has so little experience: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chulgrafik
It would also not be posted for all to see either
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Here it is.

(Sure would have been nice to provide a link. Only thing I can find was a 5K run and it has the normal Alaska logo.)

Alaska Twitter account is saying it's not commissioned by them.

http://www.richardsherman25.com/pages/softball
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shand32783
(Sure would have been nice to provide a link. Only thing I can find was a 5K run and it has the normal Alaska logo.)

Alaska Twitter account is saying it's not commissioned by them.

http://www.richardsherman25.com/pages/softball
Looks like an intern did a Google search and just picked whatever logo came and they thought they liked. They couldn't even get the proportions of the other sponsor logos right.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:14 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by G2244
Would you be so kind as to provide a link?

A related thought is that this may explain a need to take down the website for several days in August...
The logo is not changing, and the website isn't being taken down.

The Mileage Plan system will be down for a few days, but other than that, the website will function normally.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Originally Posted by G2244
Would you be so kind as to provide a link?

A related thought is that this may explain a need to take down the website for several days in August...
The logo is not changing, and the website isn't being taken down.

The Mileage Plan system will be down for a few days, but other than that, the website will function normally.
Thanks for the update ^
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Not a LR for whoever said that -- no raked wingtips.

I do enjoys these projects as I think they're a very good opportunity for students to market themselves if they're well put together.

If AS were to make the jump into a new logo, I hope the design team would take into consideration the recent trends of flat design and high contrast colors.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Just out of curiosity---if they were to adopt a new logo, what would that cost? I am thinking re-painting the planes would be the major expense, plus fuel costs for the extra paint, but there must be more. Total?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.