Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Two words: Vacation Mimosas!
well ok I concur with that example
Old May 6, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ANC
well ok I concur with that example
I took a flight out of IST on KL at 5:30am when it was still that early.

Had a nice Effes Dark in the SkyTeam lounge at 3:30 am. Couldn't decide if it was early or late
Old May 6, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ANC
I did once see an FA refuse to give 2 guys a drink in F on an ANC-FAI flight at 7am. She told them it was against the law to serve a drink before 8

Why most people want drinks at 7am is beyond me but its not my perrogative to judge the behavior and if they need help thats their responsibility or that of their families. On a/c however you dont know what time zones people are arriving to or coming from. In this case what really bugged me was that it was 2 soldiers returning from Iraq! whcih essentially where they were coming from was 7pm. Either it was a lazy FA or a hater alcohol FA. They just wanted a beer and Im sure they most likely hadnt had a beer in quite a while.
On intra-state flights, I believe that local alcohol laws may apply, and she could have been correct.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by ANC
Why most people want drinks at 7am is beyond me
That's what my grandma used to say about ice cream. "How can anybody eat ice cream in the morning?!?" My response was that it tastes the same in the morning as it does in the evening. I supposed the same could be said for booze.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by ANC
I did once see an FA refuse to give 2 guys a drink in F on an ANC-FAI flight at 7am. She told them it was against the law to serve a drink before 8

[snip]

Either it was a lazy FA or a hater alcohol FA.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
On intra-state flights, I believe that local alcohol laws may apply, and she could have been correct.
Alaska Airlines is a licensed seller of alcohol in the state of Alaska. According to this website, license holders may not serve alcohol between the hours of 5 AM and 8 AM. So a rough interpretation of that would infer that the FA was correct. The website does not at first glance specify whether there are exceptions for airlines or whether there is a difference for intra-state flights versus inter-state flights.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Alaska Airlines is a licensed seller of alcohol in the state of Alaska. According to this website, license holders may not serve alcohol between the hours of 5 AM and 8 AM. So a rough interpretation of that would infer that the FA was correct. The website does not at first glance specify whether there are exceptions for airlines or whether there is a difference for intra-state flights versus inter-state flights.
Do bars in Alaska stay open until 5am? Righteous if so and on par with NYC, Chicago, and DC ^
Old May 6, 2014, 6:15 pm
bjf

On my ba flight ord to Lhr. I asked for the third double vodka and the fa said you already had 4 and I asked if she was counting, and she said yes. All I wanted to do was get some sleep.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:21 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
but is it state controlled airspace or Federal controlled air space?

To the best of my knowledge....which isnt much, states dont have any authority or ownership of air space whether it be FAA or FCC

If local liquor laws applied as airlines were flying in and out of different states and cities or over top of different states and cities it would be a total mess
Old May 6, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
but is it te controlled airspace or Federal controlled air space?

To the best of my knowledge....which isnt much, states dont have any authority or ownership of air space whether it be FAA or FCC
From what I can determine, it's a federal mandate that Alaska as a state cannot control alcohol sales on the ground or in the air for airlines. The precedence comes from a federal court's reversal of the ban New Mexico had placed on US Airways alcohol sales in the state (both in the flying over and on the ground).

Someone with the real law training or better research skills is free to overrule my uninformed opinion.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
but is it state controlled airspace or Federal controlled air space?

If local liquor laws applied as airlines were flying in and out of different states and cities or over top of different states and cities it would be a total mess
Alaska used to follow the laws within the state of Alaska regarding the sale of alcohol. About a couple years ago, give or take, they took another look at the laws and Alaska's legal department came to understand that the local state laws don't apply to them as they are mandated by the DOT and FAA rules, not local state laws. I don't know what precipitated that, or whether something changed that caused them to rethink the corporate stance but you can now imbibe 24 hours a day on an Alaska Airlines plane.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Alaska used to follow the laws within the state of Alaska regarding the sale of alcohol. About a couple years ago, give or take, they took another look at the laws and Alaska's legal department came to understand that the local state laws don't apply to them as they are mandated by the DOT and FAA rules, not local state laws. I don't know what precipitated that, or whether something changed that caused them to rethink the corporate stance but you can now imbibe 24 hours a day on an Alaska Airlines plane.
This was a welcome change ^
Old May 7, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Wink

Originally Posted by missydarlin
It was halfway through the flight and the OP was drinking Doubles ... so the cutoff was 6 drinks in 3 hours.
FA should have been proactive as taste buds probably gone after having been subjected to that much. I guess a scored earth policy would have been in order after that point

Originally Posted by Red L
This made me chuckle, because I was just on a flight on Friday where the FA in FC was handing out doubles to EVERYONE, even though no one asked for them. I won't mention the flight or FA in case that's a no-no, but s/he even brought me two glasses of wine after I ordered. And when I was done with one, it was refilled so I always had two. I've never had that happen before.
I've never had an FA bring out 2 glasses before, but back in the Glelivet Era I have had a few FAs serve me doubles without my asking. Were you the only one the FA was keeping 2 glasses filled for? Maybe they thought you were a wine-o
Old May 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
There is one flight attendant on my regular routing home SNA-SEA who gives me disapproving looks after I've had ONE glass of wine in FC. I always have to request refills. She doesn't do it to the guys, though. Given that I am usually flying home on the ~6 pm flight after a long day at the office, I'm rarely in a mood to tolerate that.

Last edited by jackal; May 8, 2014 at 12:08 am Reason: Removing names of non-executive/public personnel per FT Rules
Old May 7, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
So I guess it depends on when ANC's anecdote happened in terms of whether the FA was following company policy or enforcing a personal belief system (or simply didn't get the memo and made an honest error).

ANC's only clue as to the year is that the passengers were "two US soldiers returning from Iraq" which only narrows it down to, well...I guess it doesn't narrow it down very much at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.