Community
Wiki Posts
Search

will you leave AS for AA Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, Starwood Rewards
Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
I have AA elite status and live in Seattle, and I fly a bunch on AS. My take on your situation is this:

As an AS MVP, you are not likely to get that many upgrades on the SAN-SEA run. You're definitely not getting any on AA. With AA Plat, you have a decent chance at an upgrade (depending on day of flight) on the much longer SAN-MIA flight. As an AA Plat, you will still get access to AS preferred seating (Row 6 and exit row in particular).

International lounge access has also been mentioned. I think the other thing to consider is that AA Plat's get 100% mileage bonus per flight (I believe MVP's get 25%). So, if you're flying 25k miles a year, you're talking an extra 18,750 miles for a year.

That being said, AA miles are a bit less useful than AS miles (depending on where you want to go - availability on can be big). And certainly, after the big devalue a month ago of AA miles, there is lots of speculation that it will continue to deteriorate as the merger takes place.

Basically, if you MVP Gold, I'd say stick with AS. AS is the best domestic airline out there. As an MVP, you do have some incentive to change to get higher status for a year.

Good luck!
I'm curious....
Do you by chance know what the upgrade chances are for SEA/DFW on AA for AA Executive Platinum? I fly at least 125K miles every year on that one route.

I'm impatiently waiting for AS to add my dream schedule of a permanent DFW flight to SEA at 8 AM and a SEA to DFW flight out at 6:30 PM. Right now, last flight out of Seattle is on DL at 4:30ish, but you have to go through SLC and I am not a fan of DL so that route is out.

I flew AA from DFW to SEA a few times last year. 3 of the 4 times my departure time was more than 1 hour late. The only time we departed on time was the Monday morning flight I took that left at 8 AM. I remember there being at least 40 Executive Platinums on that flight! I'm guessing that's typical?
Old May 2, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, Starwood Rewards
Originally Posted by wind6765
Even being based in RDU and with DL starting to squeeze harder, I'm sticking with AS, at least until the AA/US merger is done with. Hard to see it not getting tougher over there. So long as I can get to Australia in CX FC for 160,000 miles, I'm staying...I waver sometimes, but AS, IMO, still has the best program out there.

Plus...one day, AS will fly to RDU. I just know it
I wish AS would go get 40 MD80s like DL is doing for their "global airline" campaign in Seattle. Either that or don't retire those 737s so fast. (Of course they'd have to get pilots and staff to fly them but that's a different problem)

That way they could plug all the holes in their schedule... RDU being a big one. I know it's a crummy location, but has any airline ever considered using OKC as a hub? It's about smack in the middle of the country. And the biggest airline there is WN. I'd bet money the State of Okla would pay big money (i.e. subsidize) for an airline to base operations out of that city. I realize OKC sucks...but that's off topic!
Old May 2, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Thanks for all the great tips.. especially 2TallSeaFlyer and LAXative .
Old May 2, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Alaska's program is pretty good but the online international partner fees are absurd
Yes, AS charges a $12.50 fee each way for partner awards and a fuel surcharge on BA award flights. It also has much lower change fees, no close-in booking fees, and no fee for starting ones award travel outside North America.

Originally Posted by gaiusbaltar
I'm curious....
Do you by chance know what the upgrade chances are for SEA/DFW on AA for AA Executive Platinum? I fly at least 125K miles every year on that one route.

I'm impatiently waiting for AS to add my dream schedule of a permanent DFW flight to SEA at 8 AM and a SEA to DFW flight out at 6:30 PM. Right now, last flight out of Seattle is on DL at 4:30ish, but you have to go through SLC and I am not a fan of DL so that route is out.

I flew AA from DFW to SEA a few times last year. 3 of the 4 times my departure time was more than 1 hour late. The only time we departed on time was the Monday morning flight I took that left at 8 AM. I remember there being at least 40 Executive Platinums on that flight! I'm guessing that's typical?
From what I've seen, it really depends on the flight. There were ~4 open seats on F on my recent DFW-SEA flight (the 9:25 PM departure). I do like how the DFW-SEA flights often depart out of International Terminal D.

I wish AS would go get 40 MD80s like DL is doing for their "global airline" campaign in Seattle. Either that or don't retire those 737s so fast. (Of course they'd have to get pilots and staff to fly them but that's a different problem)

That way they could plug all the holes in their schedule... RDU being a big one. I know it's a crummy location, but has any airline ever considered using OKC as a hub? It's about smack in the middle of the country. And the biggest airline there is WN. I'd bet money the State of Okla would pay big money (i.e. subsidize) for an airline to base operations out of that city. I realize OKC sucks...but that's off topic!
AS has been extending the leases on the 734s and 73Gs over the past few years and might decide to extend them again.

In terms of OKC becoming an airline hub, US airlines are preferring to have hubs in cities with lots of O&D business traffic, hence the flight reductions at MEM, CVG, and CLE. Even though airports such as LAX, ATL, and MIA are out of the way for many domestic destinations, they have lots of O&D business traffic.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
What MVP gift do you get for 75K? I didn't get anything last year!
You get to gift MVP status to someone for the year.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by travelsg
I'm getting a trial Platinum from AA. In order to extend the status after the trial, I need 12k EQM on AA. So I'm seriously considering jumping.. will you?
For a one year rental of AA Platinum in 2015, and not being able to requalify and only accruing enough miles to make AS MVP/AA Gold? No.

If it was ExPlat, complete with a full compliment of eVIPs... that might be tempting, especially using the eVIPs to travel overseas in J on cheap Y fares (and requalify on AS).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I do like how the DFW-SEA flights often depart out of International Terminal D.
+1. The annual fee for the AMEX Plat is worth it since we get access at the AS Boardroom in SEA and the Centurion Lounge at DFW. ^ Since all AA flights between SEA-DFW go to Terminal D it works out really well.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm curious....

I'm 100% on my SEA-DFW flights as AA EXP since 2010 (when I started tracking if I was upgraded). At least 6-8 RTs on that route per year. I usually take the 11:30PM flight SEA-DFW even if on a domestic flight as on domestics I like getting in to my destination earlier in the day. Take from that what you will. I'd guess my flight was delayed about 3 times today over that time period. I've usually been very lucky with lack of delays. Note that I also usually book at least 6 months in advance and time of booking is a factor for AA upgrades.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:19 pm

From DFW? I haven't seen that many DFW-SEA leave from D. Maybe this is a recent change or just a pattern I haven't noticed. I like the DFW D AAdmirals club
Old May 2, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
+1. The annual fee for the AMEX Plat is worth it since we get access at the AS Boardroom in SEA and the Centurion Lounge at DFW. ^ Since all AA flights between SEA-DFW go to Terminal D it works out really well.
Almost has me regretting closing my Amex Plat card in favor of Citi Exec card. I've heard those Centurion lounges are very nice. Oh well...
Old May 2, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by mikelat
From DFW? I haven't seen that many DFW-SEA leave from D. Maybe this is a recent change or just a pattern I haven't noticed. I like the DFW D AAdmirals club
I've left out of DFW Terminal D when flying DFW-SEA on 738s. The previous flights, especially 9pm departure, appear to be arriving from Central America. This may change when the MD-80s and 752s fly the route.

DFW Terminal D is very spacious and has good dining options much like ATL Concourse F.

My last DFW-SEA flight landed at a JetBlue gate (D5?) as the SEA-DFW redeye was delayed. Those gates appear to be common use gates.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
I'm curious....

Regarding SEA-DFW upgrade chances, the primary reason I've stayed with AA rather than switch to AS is upgrades. I've been 90+% upgraded on SEA-ORD and SEA-DFW, and I'm 100% on SEA-MIA. Keep in mind that I'm usually flying from Seattle in the morning and returning sometime in the evening. I usually buy 3 weeks out, if that gives you an indication.

On-time performance varies, but it's been a while since I've had a bad run (as in 3 of 4 flights an hour late). The morning flights out of SEA are almost always on time.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Nope for now.

I was UA Gold last year, and I can choose to match AS MVPG or AA Platinum (my company has a deal with AA so we can match instead of trial). I chose AS (also I could choose both, but that's meaningless as I can't keep both statuses the next year) because AA's future is unclear and I think they have big chance to follow DL and UA's footsteps. Also I live in SJC so both AS and AA give me about the same choices (less choices than UA's SFO hub) but I slightly prefer AS's fare (and easy upgrade!) of SJC-Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.